shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA report - Inclusions in Natural, Synthetic, and Treated Diamond

Sakuramickey

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This may be a silly question :kiss2: does GIA issues certificate for synthetic diamonds?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be a silly question :kiss2: does GIA issues certificate for synthetic diamonds?
They don't issue a 'proper' grading report with as much detail as a Mined diamond report (i.e. exact colour grades etc.) at this moment in time, but they might in the future??

IGI, EGL and others do, though, but they come with the caveat that they are known to be 'softer' on grading!

Sakuramickey

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They don't issue a 'proper' grading report with as much detail as a Mined diamond report (i.e. exact colour grades etc.) at this moment in time, but they might in the future??

IGI, EGL and others do, though, but they come with the caveat that they are known to be 'softer' on grading!

Thank you for the clarification. So if a diamond comes with GIA certificate with details such as color clarity cut etc then it’s one way of saying that that diamond is not synthetic (at least at this moment)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the clarification. So if a diamond comes with GIA certificate with details such as color clarity cut etc then it’s one way of saying that that diamond is not synthetic (at least at this moment)
I think that is a correct assumption.

Plus, GIA will always state on a grading report if a stone is man made / laboratory grown :)

Sakuramickey

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2:
I think that is a correct assumption.

Plus, GIA will always state on a grading report if a stone is man made / laboratory grown :)

Thank you! Just checked my GIA certificates, no point man made or laboratory grown...phew! :mrgreen2:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

IGI, EGL
and others do, though, but they come with the caveat that they are known to be 'softer' on grading!
GIA just announced a change in this position although I don't think it's started yet. Their reports on manmade diamonds are changing. They'll start using the standard color and clarity terms that we're all familiar with. They're dropping the word 'synthetic' entirely. They will still be clearly different and prominently indicate that the stones are lab-created (the reports are yellow for example), and the stones MUST have a girdle inscription of both the report number and a statement about lab creation. I don't know when this is due to start but my expectation is soon.

They still won't include treatments on the Lab Diamond reports, and their approach to treatments of mined goods remain unchanged (some treatments are mentioned, some prevent them from issuing a grading report at all).

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-article/gia-lab-grown-diamond-reports/

Sakuramickey

Shiny_Rock
Premium
GIA just announced a change in this position although I don't think it's started yet. Their reports on manmade diamonds are changing. They'll start using the standard color and clarity terms that we're all familiar with. They're dropping the word 'synthetic' entirely. They will still be clearly different and prominently indicate that the stones are lab-created (the reports are yellow for example), and the stones MUST have a girdle inscription of both the report number and a statement about lab creation. I don't know when this is due to start but my expectation is soon.

They still won't include treatments on the Lab Diamond reports, and their approach to treatments of mined goods remain unchanged (some treatments are mentioned, some prevent them from issuing a grading report at all).

Thank you for the information. PS rocks! :appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting! Thanks for the heads-up :))

I see they are tiptoeing towards the same grading system as for Mined, even though they surely are already internally grading as comprehensively as Mined in order to determine the correct (but wider-ranging) Colourless / Near colourless / etc. colour grade/band to put an MMD stone in.

The article does present a lot of competing viewpoints and considerations, which I like - journalism should present both sides of an argument, rather than being a mouthpiece for one view only! :)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't understand the rationale for changing the terminology from 'synthetic diamond' to 'lab grown diamond'. On the one hand GIA makes the point that researchers and even the growers themselves use the term synthetic. On the other hand they say that consumers interpret the term 'synthetic' to mean 'fake'.

If the stated goal is to protect the consumer, isn't it better to err on the side of a term that clearly indicates a difference between this material and natural mined diamonds?

Afterall, the FTC just this week had to send warning letters to eight different synthetic sellers because of deceptive messaging aimed at blurring the distinction.
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-di...rning-to-lab-grown-diamond-companies-1645.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results