clarity

GIA Identifies Lead Glass-Filled Synthetic Ruby

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will the various treatments never end? ;( :nono:

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/gia-identifies-lead-glass-filled-synthetic-ruby

Excerpt:

It's a never-ending saga when it comes to gemstone treatments, and GIA's latest discovery presents us with a new first, a lead glass-filled, flame-fushion synthetic ruby. Lead glass-filled "natural" ruby is common in the marketplace, but as gem treaters attempt to dupe consumers, they have sunk to what GIA describes as a "new low."

In the September 2012 Gems & Gemology eBrief, GIA reports that an 11.52-carat purplish-red stone was examined at the Carlsbad laboratory. The stone tested to be a flame-fusion synthetic ruby with lead glass filling.

From the G&G eBrief:

While these initial observations were quite standard, microscopic examination revealed details out of the ordinary. A network of uniformly patterned fractures was consistent with those often seen in quench-crackled corundum. These fractures showed a moderately prominent orange-to-blue flash effect, small clusters of whitish devitrification products, and flattened gas bubbles—all indicators of lead glass–filled corundum. EDXRF spectroscopy confirmed the presence of lead. Notably, the gem contained subtly curving striae, which proved it was a flame-fusion synthetic ruby.

Lead glass–filled ruby has been in the market for several years, and flame-fusion synthetic ruby for much longer, but this was the first example of a lead glass–filled flame-fusion synthetic ruby seen in the Carlsbad laboratory. It is unclear why anyone would knowingly produce this gem material, which represents a new low in the realm of lead glass filling.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Jesus...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I understand why exactly they would combine the two methods - to throw people off, because they would never guess that lead glass filling would be applied to a synthetic? Can someone enlighten me please?

I think I will never know enough to purchase a ruby, so I'll love them from afar.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and Chrono, thanks for being ever vigilant... :praise:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That is just... awesome. :nono: Someone needs to tell them that two negatives don't equal a positive.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1347476415|3266958 said:
I'm not sure I understand why exactly they would combine the two methods - to throw people off, because they would never guess that lead glass filling would be applied to a synthetic? Can someone enlighten me please?

I think I will never know enough to purchase a ruby, so I'll love them from afar.

You're right. It's to throw people off the scent. In the past if you heard "lead glass filling" you would think you had a natural but filled Ruby. This is an attempt to fraudulently (I presume) pass off synthetic material as natural. I can't see any other reason. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results