shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA H vs AGS H color. What do you think?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone on the left was graded by GIA in 2004 and the one on the right was graded by AGS in 2018.

IMG_4166.jpg
View attachment 681564 IMG_3993.jpg 2.35i.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both are beautiful, I’ll take them; thank you! :appl:

Are you suggesting that there is/is not a discernible difference in tint? If so, I think the lighting/shadows makes that hard to see. They look pretty close to me, with a possible nod to the AGS H looking slightly brighter/whiter, but again, the shadows...

Can you put both on two fingers side by side in the same pic, in the same lighting/angle?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the mother thing. The AGS H looks whiter in the first picture but the rest are harder to compare. What do you think about the two stones?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also really hard to compare because the AGS is in a more open setting whereas the GIA - while minimal - still has more metal covering it, creating additional shadowing. I think you’ll be hard-pressed to get a really solid comparison shot of the two from a color-assessment perspective for that reason unless they are both loose.

Again, if you tire of either, I can link you to my contact info on LT/DB, and I promise to accept your gift graciously and with much appreciation for years to come. :mrgreen2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the mother thing. The AGS H looks whiter in the first picture but the rest are harder to compare. What do you think about the two stones?
IDK,
Idunno1.gif
. Here's what I can tell you. My local appraiser was stuck trying to decide b/t G/H color on the GIA stone. He was trying to match the color with his GIA master stones. I didn't have the AGS stone appraised.

Here's the top view..
Idunno1.gif

IMG_3998.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are high H.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't recall whether it was Karl_k or Kenny who always used to say - you have no chance of judging color on a computer screen. Whichever one looks whiter to your eye no doubt is.

Both beautiful looking diamonds from where I sit, though.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDK,
Idunno1.gif
. Here's what I can tell you. My local appraiser was stuck trying to decide b/t G/H color on the GIA stone. He was trying to match the color with his GIA master stones. I didn't have the AGS stone appraised.

Here's the top view..
Idunno1.gif

IMG_3998.jpg

I'd say they are pretty darn close in color!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
IDK,
Idunno1.gif

Here's the top view..
Idunno1.gif

IMG_3998.jpg

I kind of think the one on the right looks whiter in the first picture you posted ... that’s not going to help your jeweller, lol.

I sure love those diamonds @Dancing Fire ... I notice they are always being modelled on your hands though ... no offence :whistle: but where are the lady hands?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They both look like high H stones! Hard to tell which is more colorless from the pictures. Which one looks more colorless to you @Dancing Fire? What about performance?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say they are pretty darn close in color!
I think so, but you hear a lot of PSers come here to criticize AGS on color.
Idunno1.gif
. IMO, it can happen with either lab (color/clarity) just case by case.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of think the one on the right looks whiter in the first picture you posted ... that’s not going to help your jeweller, lol.

I sure love those diamonds @Dancing Fire ... I notice they are always being modelled on your hands though ... no offence :whistle: but where are the lady hands?
She did that one time but thought I was ...
nuts.gif
:lol:

DSCN1949bvk.JPG dqs.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look like high H stones! Hard to tell which is more colorless from the pictures. Which one looks more colorless to you @Dancing Fire? What about performance?
I'm biased ...:devil: :P2. I can tell you that both are very well cut stones. ;))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't recall whether it was Karl_k or Kenny who always used to say - you have no chance of judging color on a computer screen. Whichever one looks whiter to your eye no doubt is.

Both beautiful looking diamonds from where I sit, though.
Both of us. I miss Kenny :{

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm biased ...:devil: :P2. I can tell you that both are very well cut stones. ;))
If you ever decide to upgrade, you better let me know before you trade your ring in :mrgreen2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, you know by now we can't judge color accurately in pictures, especially those! In the first pic, light is reflecting off your stone and there's zero way to compare the color. Both stones look beautiful, though! Is that men's ring yours? I somehow either missed it or forgot if you posted it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you ever decide to upgrade, you better let me know before you trade your ring in :mrgreen2:
I will if CBI happened to cut a similar stone in the 2.75-2.90ct range. I'd like to gain at least .50mm in diameter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results