shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Good and HCA < 2

smoothmoose

Rough_Rock
I just noticed when using the diamond search here, that there are some GIA Good and Very Good cut grades that score HCA < 2. I understand GIA Excellent may not be great on light performance and can score HCA > 2. But this observation seems to imply the reverse is true as well. That a poorer GIA graded stone can still be excellent in light performance. I also understand that even with HCA is elimination tool, IS and ASET pics are still required.

But curious if any of these GIA Good or Very Good end up to be truly excellent light performers...therefore signifying the proverbial "diamond in the rough" type of deal...

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you are just looking for a few measurements, like table, crown, pavilion and depth, it might be possible to get a low score.
You would defintely want to take a look at the stone though. Most of the good stones might have some major cut problems only yielding a good cut grade.
Your chances of getting a really nice bright stone is better with an excellent cut grade although they do cost more as the cutter put extra effort in time and cutting into the stone to achieve a better cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big ditto to the post above mine!!! Do you really want a stone with "good" symmetry or a very thin girdle or all the other things that could be wrong with a GIA Good cut even if it has an ok HCA? The HCA is just a screener...in no way does that mean a GIA Good would ever be recommended as a good choice. I wouldn't even look at any below Excellent since many of those are not so great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results