shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA D IF Graded Diamond with "Minor Details of Polish"

babyjyo

Rough_Rock
I noticed that D IF diamonds graded by GIA have this comment "Minor Details of Polish", while some others have "are shown" or "not shown". What does this mean? If they put a statement "Minor Details of Polish", does this means that it is shown or not shown?

Hope someone can elaborate on this. Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means, they know that if you are looking at a D IF then they need to be completely anal and they wanted to disclose absolutely everything little thing because they know you will be paying through the roof for the stone.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
babyjyo|1341707126|3230320 said:
I noticed that D IF diamonds graded by GIA have this comment "Minor Details of Polish", while some others have "are shown" or "not shown". What does this mean? If they put a statement "Minor Details of Polish", does this means that it is shown or not shown?

Hope someone can elaborate on this. Thanks.

From my GIA handbook, it says that not all inclusions (or blemishes in this case) need be plotted, only if they are integral to determining the clarity grade or an important identifying feature. Since blemishes don't really add to the clarity grade they are often not plotted but are noted. If they do plot them, it would mean that the characteristic is an identifying feature.

I am still learning the course but this is how I understand it! Hope this helps :wavey:

angietime

Rough_Rock
This could be a graining issue, where polishing against the grain, just like in shaving, leaves stripe like reflections that can cause a bit of a hazy look to it. It also may mean along the girdle/side of the diamond, the polisher could have grinded along the edge not causing an inclusion, but making the sides a little rough microscopically

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't sweat it as the comment has been on every GIA IF report I have ever seen, including mine.

"The comment "minor details of polish not shown" on a GIA graded diamond of Internally Flawless (IF) clarity is in my opinion a sort of "catch all liability opt out type of phrase" that the GIA seems to use on ALL diamonds that are graded as Internally Flawless. I''ve never seen an IF diamond graded by the GIA that does not have this phrase listed under the comments section. While "minor details of polish" may or may not actually be present, the presence of the phrase provides the GIA with protection in the event that they overlooked something (obviously minor)."

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/minor-details-of-polishing-are-present.56440/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/minor-details-of-polishing-are-present.56440/[/URL]

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is graded IF, internally flawless not FL, flawless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results