shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting used to screw-back earrings

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone...I just purchased 1ctw diamond studs from ebay. They're beautiful and I'm very happy with them, but they are screw-backs, and I was under the impression they were push-backs. It's a real chore to take them on and off, and they hurt my ears. I took the earrings to a jeweler to verify the stones were real (they were!) and I mentioned my issue with the posts, and he seemed surprised I would want to switch them since the screw-backs are more secure. I just received the earrings, so I've decided to wear them for a few days to see if I'll get used to them. Anybody out there who initially had a problem with screw-backs but got used to them? Thanks!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you screwing them on too tight? I can't imagine why a screw back would hurt you when a push back doesn't.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have sensitive ears, and the rough metal on the screw-type posts is enough to really irritate my ears. If they still hurt in a few days, I would take them back and have your jeweler replace the screws with nice smooth metal posts.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my only problem with screw backs is that one still needs to check them as they will become loose....i lost a diamond stud that way many years ago. i prefer the screw backs but it did take time to find the comfort zone where they were secure yet not too tight. again, they still need to be checked.

MoZo

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks For your responses Lady Disdain, Fly Girl and mo zo!

I think the problem is the threads scrape the inside of the holes, so taking them in and out really hurts! And I had to force the post into one of the holes, making it even worse. And screwing the backs on and off made my lobes hurt too.

My earlobes were so sore today I had the posts switched today, and the earrings feel much better in my ears. I guess I just have sensitive ears? I wish I could have gotten used to the screw backs, but they were keeping me from enjoying the earrings. I'll just have to be really careful. thanks again!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got that taken care of. Life is too short to have unnecessary pain like that.

A female jeweler told me I had "sensitive ears" after I lamented that I couldn't stand wearing heavy earrings. I love the look of dangly earrings, but when I can feel them moving around and pulling, it quickly becomes painful. This is the reason I have ended up with lots of stud earrings over the years, and virtually no dangly ones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have screw backs but they unscrew, and for the amount of money I paid for my earrings I was afraid of losing one, so I put one of those little plastic thingies that come with cheap earrings over the screws so they can't come undone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you had them changed out. I always have my earrings changed out right away if I purchase a pair that are screw backs. I found them very uncomfortable and I fumbled with them a lot trying to get them on and off.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fly girl, I'm the same way with dangly earrings, most are just too uncomfortable and pull on my ear too much, so I just stick with studs and small light hoops.

Marcy, I'm glad I changed them too. this afternoon they were bugging me so much I drove right over to a jewelry repair place and they switched them for me in an hour. I was also having problems screwing the backs on. It took me so long and made my ears hurt even more.

April, that's a really good idea. I might be able to do that with the push-backs because some of the post is exposed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another who's glad you had the posts changed. I myself never got used to screwbacks, so I just never wore the studs - and that was a shame!

Lesson learnt.

AllyD

Shiny_Rock
I also had a nice pair of screw back studs and I lost one. ;( Just make sure to check once in awhile that they are still screwed on securely.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl said:
I have sensitive ears, and the rough metal on the screw-type posts is enough to really irritate my ears. If they still hurt in a few days, I would take them back and have your jeweler replace the screws with nice smooth metal posts.

Ditto for me. No matter what, my ears just couldn't get used to screwbacks. I ended up resetting those earrings into pushbacks because otherwise, I would never wear them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i'm glad you changed them out. the first time i put on a pair of screw back earrings, they tore the insides of my ears and it wouldn't heal for weeks. i hate those things.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Fortekitty, same here! It's been a week and my earlobes are improving, but still feel pretty sore.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie said:
my only problem with screw backs is that one still needs to check them as they will become loose....i lost a diamond stud that way many years ago. i prefer the screw backs but it did take time to find the comfort zone where they were secure yet not too tight. again, they still need to be checked.

MoZo
This happened to me too. I think because my hair is long, my hair somehow unscrewed the back and I lost a stud.

I changed the backs to German-made "la pousette" backs and they are VERY secure. Haven't had a problem in almost 8 years. (knock wood). :saint:

ValentinesJewelryDesign

Rough_Rock
Trade
There are posts that can be installed that can be pushed on like the regular tension backs, bu then you have to unscrew them to take them off. The threading diameter tends to be a bit smaller than the standard screw posts, so they go in and out of the ear a bit easier. Many women like the ability to throw them on when in a hurry getting out. They tend to not mind the unscrewing to take them out in the evening......a blending of the best of both worlds. I hope this helps! :)

Matt

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks VJD, I didn't know there were backs like that, that's good to know. One of my issues was how long it took me to put the earrings on. I was almost late for a few appointments lol.

apfkmds

Rough_Rock
Doe-c-doe questioned whether this might be obvious to everyone else, but it definitely wasn’t to me. She took a pair of screwback earrings – the kind you can wear without pierced ears – and converted them into dangling leverback (you could also use french hooks) earrings.

Bruce Boone

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi friend,
I would like to add few comments here regarding screw-back earrings. I have not seen any big problem with it.
Screw back earrings that are being designed today are being done so with great care and skill. The materials that are used to make them are very good, and don't react with your skin. You will not face any unnecessary pain caused by them either. They are extremely light and comfortable. You can be completely relaxed and carefree while they dangle in your ear - you will not feel any pain.

Thanks
http://www.boonerings.com/

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
A bit off topic but I actually bought a bag of 100 rubber earring backings off ebay a year ago because I had lost a few earring backs so needed a replacement and now I don't use anything else. they're rubber so they don't slip off and don't seem to get loose. they feel more secure than normal backings :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1290787757|2779729 said:
A bit off topic but I actually bought a bag of 100 rubber earring backings off ebay a year ago because I had lost a few earring backs so needed a replacement and now I don't use anything else. they're rubber so they don't slip off and don't seem to get loose. they feel more secure than normal backings :)

That's actually a really good idea hippi pixi! I'll bet those rubber backs don't budge a bit. I'll give them a try.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1290787757|2779729 said:

I replaced my screwbacks with rubber stoppers also (love'em). They may not be the prettiest things but they seem secure
and are very comfortable.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug,

What seller did you get them from, was it a good deal? I've been looking for a 1 carat pair on Ebay as well.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
autumngems|1291640412|2788724 said:
Junebug,

What seller did you get them from, was it a good deal? I've been looking for a 1 carat pair on Ebay as well.

Autumngems, I'm so sorry! I just saw this - I'm pretty sure the seller was aprilmayjewelry. I paid $950 and I feel that it was a good price, the earrings face up white and are eye clean. I'm happy with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results