shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting diamond ring through airport security???

bucsoftb

Rough_Rock
Thanks to this forum's help, I got the e-ring order and it is on it's way. Now I have something else that I am stressing out over. We are flying out on Saturday for vacation (where I will ask her) and I am very, very nervous about the airport security.

I have googled it several times and the general response is that platinum rings will not set off the metal detectors. However, I really do not want to risk having it go off and the TSA agent having me take the ring out of my pocket in front of my girlfriend. (I am not carrying it in the box, just the ring itself.) So to be safe, I thought I would put the ring in my wallet or carry-on bag and have it go through the xray belt. This seemed like a good idea, but just to be safe, I emailed my local airport and a TSA employee contacted me. He explained that sometimes if they can not make out what the item is in my bag/wallet etc. that they will have to remove it. He also told me that engagement surprises have been ruined several times at the airport. He also mentioned that if I got chosen for extra screening, they would search my carry-on.

So now I am really freaking out about what to do. Shipping the ring to our hotel is not really an option, nor is putting it in my luggage (too risky.) Does anybody have any advice, recommendations, etc that will make me feel better?

I guess since I really have no other option, I am just going to have to put the loose ring in a pocket in my carry-on backpack and hope for the best. Hopefully they will see that it is clearly a ring and nothing happens. I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I travel, I store my jewelry in my carry-on bag and have never set off the metal detectors. My pieces are 14 carat gold though - not platinum.

Just an aside - I think I would wrap the ring in some bubble wrap or tissue paper just to insure the ring doesn't get damaged! The thought of the ring being stuck in a side pocket or wallet with no protection makes me nervous.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ialmost always have a shoulder bag as well as a roll aboard small suitcase. I'd suggest you put the ring on your key ring and throw the key ring into your shoulder bag, or laptop case. They will identify keys right away and unless you have some odd attachment on your key ring they will not want to look further at items on a key ring. I usually put my wallet, cash, keys into the shoulder bag or laptop case for the xray examination. If they are loaded with things, they will not look at the contents with any thoroughness and ruin the surprise. Once through the inspection, go to the men's room and put the ring away in a more concealed way. Send the ring box through with your checked luggage.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I wore my platinum engagement ring through metal detectors and it didn't beep. I also had white gold earrings and those never beeped as well.

I think you should be perfectly fine if you just put it in your wallet's coin pocket. I would not have any coins inside though =)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
99% of the time when flying, I keep my rings in their boxes (wearing only my plain one). All of mine are Platinum and diamond. I keep them in their boxes, in a pouch with my loupe. That stays in my purse and goes through the xray. I have NEVER had anyone question or ask about my rings. No one has ever searched my bag for that either. It's just easier when I am rifling through stuff to not have them on. If you can leave it in the ring box I would. Do NOT risk damaging the ring before the proposal. Find a small ring box or even a small tiffany's snap pouch if you can, then leave it in your pocket if you can conceal it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you just discretely slip it on your little finger with the diamond facing your palm right before walking through security, then immediately remove it without her seeing?

If she sees, just take your lemon and make lemonade by proposing in the metal detector?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I never had problem wearing my 18k wg e-ring going through the security

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You'll be fine with a platinum and diamonds ring on your person as you go through the detector. People wear jewelry on airplanes all the time without problems, so far. I have had clients who have needed to show the presentation box in their carryon because of the spring inside and you might want to keep this in your checked luggage.

Alternatively, how about this:
If they pop you at the metal detector, just call the TSA agent a 'stormtrooper' and throw a fit. When they privately drag you off to a closet somewhere to be strip searched you can explain the issue out of your beloved's earshot. I'm sure they'll understand. :o

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I've also never set off a metal detector with my jewelry before, or had any of my jewelry removed from my bag for further searching when I've been traveling, and I fly with jewelry all the time.

However, if you are going through the mm wave detection machines (or whatever they are called - the ones that are not metal detectors), they can see EVERYTHING. I have been patted down several times on business trips when I've worn pantyhose or spanx that come up a little higher than normal (awkward, in front of my male colleagues), or stopped for weird things in my pockets. The point being, if you have it on you, and you go through one of the fancy newer machines, they will probably see it and make you take it out (or at least pat you down) to figure out what it is. If I were you, I would leave it in the box (or in a jewelry pouch as someone suggested) in your carry on (perhaps in the toe of a pair of shoes). I've gotten whole bottles of water, huge bottles of liquids, etc, through in my bag without anyone saying anything (never on purpose). While I have no doubt there are particular things they are looking for, I don't think a ring is going to look suspicious. If anything, I would just recommend not leaving it in the box, as maybe the box is of a material that makes it hard to see through on an xray (maybe that is how the other proposal surprises got ruined - or maybe the guys were just nervous or dumb about it and looked suspicious and that is how it got ruined). I'm sure pretty much every woman (let's say even just 30% of travelers) travel with rings, and I have never personally experienced or heard of anyone's carry on bag being searched because of jewelry.

So leave it in a pouch in the middle of your bag, and be cool!

mike185

Rough_Rock
atp223|1323201902|3075495 said:
(perhaps in the toe of a pair of shoes)

Terrible idea. Anything unusually inside a shoe is ALWAYS checked! And shoes go through seperate, this is setting youself up for getting caught guaranteed!

Just put it in your carry on and send it through. 99% chance they will not look. Just be sure there is nothing ELSE in their that will look unusual. Knives, scissors, toilettries! I travel all the time for work, as long as you follow the rules with the bottle sizes (3.5 oz or less) and put them through seperate, you should not have a problem. Problem is they will generaly search your whole bag for any item they find, even if they know where it is.

Good luck!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Oldminer said:
Ialmost always have a shoulder bag as well as a roll aboard small suitcase. I'd suggest you put the ring on your key ring and throw the key ring into your shoulder bag, or laptop case. They will identify keys right away and unless you have some odd attachment on your key ring they will not want to look further at items on a key ring. I usually put my wallet, cash, keys into the shoulder bag or laptop case for the xray examination. If they are loaded with things, they will not look at the contents with any thoroughness and ruin the surprise. Once through the inspection, go to the men's room and put the ring away in a more concealed way. Send the ring box through with your checked luggage.

I like this suggestion...

BeachGirlG

Shiny_Rock
I work for an airline. You don't have to do anything other than put the ring in your carry-on bag and send it through the x-ray machine.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
If you are really concerned... FedEx it (with insurance) to wherever your destination is... The PS vendors FedEx stones to FedEx stations all the time

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sna77|1323224395|3075768 said:
If you are really concerned... FedEx it (with insurance) to wherever your destination is... The PS vendors FedEx stones to FedEx stations all the time

I think FedEx will not insure jewelry for you are I over a certain value, perhaps $500.
Vendors have arrangements with private insurance companies for their FedEx shipments.

You could use USPS Registered mail, which insures up to $25,000 (a claim will require proof of value like the receipt or recent appraisal) but can take up to 15 days.
I would only do this if the origin and destination are both within the US borders.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results