shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a second opinion befor buying?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dhaney40

Rough_Rock
I am approaching the purchase of an Asscher(square emerald) cut diamond. I was wondering, how do I find the pavilion and crown angles? I don''t see them on the GIA cert. Also, is it possible to take the stone and have it appraised before purchase? Just wondering what protection I can get, I''m considering spending 12K + so .....

Thanks for any advice..

D-

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Most internet vendors will ship the stone to an independant appraiser prior to purchase. Some/most stores will give you a refund period in which you can take it to an appraiser. personally, I wouldn't buy from someone who didn't give you some type of option to have time to get an independent opinion. IMO you should always do this for such a large purchase. Make sure the appraiser it truely independent (doesn't sell stones), and talk to the vendor you are working iwth about your options.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welll... getting those angles will not help a load, since there is no HCA-like tool to help predict what the stone woudl look like based on them.

Sarin would help use the AGA chart for refference of cut quality, this would help get an idea wether the stone would be regarded as a fine or a reject by dealers interested in the "make" rather than optics, but the respective guidelines do not predict brilliance either.

It does help a load better to have the stone already selected for it's optics, as well as "make" (or model and overall proportions - lacking a better description of the principle). This would mean a stone's descriptions akin to THIS or THIS one...
read.gif

Does it make sense ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results