shape
carat
color
clarity

Georgian butterfly/floral ring from JAWS

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this in my JAWS post in SMTB, but thought I would spotlight it here as well! Genuine antique Georgian ring with mixed silver and gold. It appears to have been reshanked at some point. TCW estimated to be over 1 ct. Is the center a fancy brown or just dirty/foiled? Any guess on more precise dating? What's an estimate on a fair price? I know I need to be extra careful with this one! Any insights, tips appreciated as always!

A72D9D81-2ACC-4B80-9FB7-5F0EB4FEF4E0.jpeg

6784246C-0C18-444B-9461-012ED0647FFE.jpeg

2C96FE2C-CC8D-4692-86F4-2FDD4BEA3A67.jpeg

4F1A2FC7-B778-4BBB-AD56-4C0666804CF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 25B95F7B-9ADE-4704-90C4-555D2194DB6A.jpeg
    25B95F7B-9ADE-4704-90C4-555D2194DB6A.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 222

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I can't tell you anything useful. I just wanted to say how pretty, it's so pretty. Such an interesting composition.
I'm curious about cleaning/care of it though- would that only happen if you were to have the foil replaced? Can you even have the foil replaced? More importantly, should that ever be replaced? What can you even do, other than just wipe it with a jeweler cloth?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
All good questions! If I go back on Sunday, I'll ask around.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That is so pretty! Do you have photos of the back and sides? I'm told by friends who collect and deal in antique jewelry that there are tons of replicas of Georgian diamond jewelry coming out of Turkey and India these days, so you have to be very, very careful. Do you trust the seller? Does it have a reliable appraisal?
Edited to say: I don't mean to cast aspersions on your lovely ring, just to sound a note of caution for people shopping for similar ones. Another thing to look out for is conversions. Lots of buttons and small brooches are being converted into rings, so it's important to see the back and side to judge whether a ring started out life as something else.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I know there are a lot of replicas out there, and I'm confident that this isn't one of them. I have a pretty good eye for this kind of thing, the seller is reputable, and the top right diamond is broken from age. It's totally possible that it was originally a stick pin, but I really don't have any doubts that it's actually old.

That is so pretty! Do you have photos of the back and sides? I'm told by friends who collect and deal in antique jewelry that there are tons of replicas of Georgian diamond jewelry coming out of Turkey and India these days, so you have to be very, very careful. Do you trust the seller? Does it have a reliable appraisal?
Edited to say: I don't mean to cast aspersions on your lovely ring, just to sound a note of caution for people shopping for similar ones. Another thing to look out for is conversions. Lots of buttons and small brooches are being converted into rings, so it's important to see the back and side to judge whether a ring started out life as something else.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I apologize, Pokerface. Your ring is gorgeous, and clearly you have the expertise know what you're seeing! I did not mean to cast doubt on it or you. But lurkers and newbies might benefit from the caution.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results