shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone color and skin tone

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This might be kind of dumb, but when you''re looking at stones, do you ever think Ohh I like that color but I don''t think it would look good w/my skin tone? Or do you say ppppbbbbtt I like it so I''m getting it?

I''m looking at pinks, and there are just so many different pinks it made me curious. I worry about something looking washed out or icky on me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's not a dumb question. I know it means a lot to some people that a stone color suits their skin tone. For me, I personally don't care at all about that sort of thing.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t worry much about gemstone color and skin tone for rings. I do think about it for pendants in particular, since they lay front and center just under my face. I worried most about my Morganite pendant, since it is almost flesh colored. Most of the time I prefer bright colors in gemstones, and I also prefer bright colors in clothes, so I guess that considering skin tone ends up being an indirect factor. Mostly I pick colors that I like.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks you two! I won''t worry about it then and just see what strikes my fancy. Thanks for the help!

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read that you can accessorize with colors that don''t suit you. Although I am new to pricescope and have not bought any stones yet, I expect to purchase and wear stones that don''t go with my skin tone since they are colors that I would not normally wear clothing-wise (but like!).

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it''s a newbie question, but I have actually worried (maybe not the right word) about the same thing.
I am one of those with a bit more "golden" skin tone....
Also "worry" about metal color....
My preference is for silver, and I have a lot of it.
I worry if I get a stone what color metal will set it off best.

O the ANGST!!!!
19.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchase whatever colour I like. If it is too close to my skin tone, I make sure to set it in something that wouldn’t blend in too much with my skin colour, like with diamond accents or with other accent/side stones that will make it stand out when worn.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I find that I tend to like the same colors that look good with my skin tone. I know what tends to look good after years of shopping and it seems that colors that dont look good on me, I dont like. Maybe it is just from years and years of seeing cute shirts that once they are on look terrible that I no longer like that color. Period.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Like Radiant, I often seem to like colors that look good on me over those that don''t.

But, it doesn''t mean that that''s all I''ll buy. Right now, I''m seriously craving a chartruese chrysoberyl, though I don''t think the color would be particularly flattering on me.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:35:42 AM
Author: Gempassion
I''ve read that you can accessorize with colors that don''t suit you. Although I am new to pricescope and have not bought any stones yet, I expect to purchase and wear stones that don''t go with my skin tone since they are colors that I would not normally wear clothing-wise (but like!).
This is a good point. Gemstones are so very tiny that comparing the color to your skintone won''t much matter. For example, I was shopping for shirts the other day, and I refused to even try on an orange one. Orange is the color of life jackets and highway workers, and for a good reason. Orange says, be sure to see me. While I don''t want an orange shirt, a tiny orange gemstone would be fine. It''s fine for a ring to say, look at me.
1.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I am quite "into" color and I know what I like on, or near, my complexion. And, sometimes, I find that what I like in a photo, or on someone else, definitely does not flatter me (or, you could say that I do not flatter the gems, LOL!). For that reason I don''t usually seek out colored stones that aren''t in my preferred hues (also, this is one way to help me cull choices and ultimately keep me from purchasing EVERYTHING). That being said, I believe there is a flattering hue in every color for everyone... you just have to find it. In other words, there are yellows that look good on me, and yellows that do not flatter (not ALL yellows are taboo). I''ve just got to find the "right" yellow for ME.

Keep in mind, as I said, I am VERY interested in color and I am unusually color conscious – more than most.

So, knowing all this, would I wear a gemstone that is not the prettiest color on me...? Sure! If it is a great stone, I can ALWAYS make an exception.
31.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''m Morganite coloured!

Seriously, I love Morganite but when I wear it, it merges into my skin tone and just looks eugh!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone! I do want my stones to be eye catching that''s for sure. I generally (for myself) like plain settings, so I gotta make them stand out somehow I guess haha!

Metal color doesn''t bother me, I wear multiple rings and mix metals. The thing that gets me with metal is when I have an idea for a project in my head and want to do a certain color metal w/a certain color stone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think it matters as long as you like the gemstone.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I do consider it, its been a factor in deciding between a ring and a pendant, the pendant having a lot more flesh around it, but its never stopped me from getting a stone I wanted.

I used to care about having my metals match but now I find that a little too twee or precious for me, LOL, don''t care any more and I actually like having two-toned settings to facilitate the mix-and-match.

Where I need help is in determining if gemstones complement each other or look awful together. I use the color wheel when I have more than one stone in a setting and I feel unsure.

Example: Julia is setting my emerald cut 4 Peaks with my trilliant Oregon sunstone in a pendant. 18kt yg bezels onto argentium baskets with yg Maltese crosses as supports (I used that motif with the pendant for my mom that some of you may have seen in a previous thread). I have a marquise diamond from an old ering that is going to be bezeled off the sunstone and Julia let me know that with that marquise diamond, the small round diamonds in maltese cross centers looked bad as the marquise was yellow-y and the round center diamonds were white and it was just too much going on.

So she is foregoing the round cross center diamonds and using gold balls instead. Will post when I get the pics from JKT.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m one that does pay very close attention to what looks good against my skin. some stones just die against my skin, and others that really tend to blend in a little TOO well.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never even ask myself if a certain color "matches" my skin tone or not. In fact, I found out that my general preference in colors shifts when it comes to stones. For example, I never liked how green made me look, but I love green stones. Dark blue is not my color at all, but I love it in stones.

I prefer to buy larger stones because I have big, fat fingers and small rings do not look good on me.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I pay no attention whatsoever...on the other hand, as a pale white chick, I''m pretty much a blank canvas.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 1:32:40 AM
Author: jstarfireb
I pay no attention whatsoever...on the other hand, as a pale white chick, I''m pretty much a blank canvas.
3.gif

Never thought about it that way, but are there any gems that do look bad on pale ghostly skin (like mine!!)??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think there is any possible colour that will look bad on pale skin as it is quite like a canvas....maybe some pale almost colouress stones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean "corpse colored" gems? LOL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results