shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemologists: what do you love and dislike about your job?

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I am new to the forums here. I recently began a (very meager) collection of estate, vintage, and antique fine jewelry. I've been interested in jewelry for a very long time, and in the past collected turquoise and sterling jewelry, as well as unique vintage costume jewelry. I've worked with jewelry a bit myself and took a very basic class in high school (13 years ago... LOL).

I'm fascinated by the world of gemology that I am starting to learn about as I research the potential value of some of the pieces I've acquired and I would love to know what gemologists love/like/dislike/hate about their jobs. I love learning and if I continue down this route I'd certainly consider getting GIA certified. What do you think? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance. Have loved reading through the forums so far!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I am super interested with what the trade people have to say as well!

(But I also wanted to say that I LOVE your hair! How incredible is that! You look so sunny and fresh. Makes me feel like you should get a nice, vivid peridot to match :razz:)

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Ellie! This photo was taken in July shortly after I had it colored, and would you believe it actually hasn't faded significantly? I've had it lots of different colors, but this one grabs so much attention - it's one of my favorite colors, but I'm actually currently growing it out because I can't go anywhere without having a conversation about my hair! Even when it was vivid turquoise, fire engine red, etc, I never had this level of attention! :shock:

I love peridots, actually! I do mostly antique shopping and haven't seen one that's called to me in a while. But I did just see a lovely Edwardian gold snake ring with a little peridot set into his head yesterday... ;)2

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, that's amazing hair!!!
Hi Paperunicorn- welcome to Pricescope!!

As a seller, I'm not really a gemologist as an occupation.....
But I do a lot of working with stones in similar ways to what a gemologist would do.
That part of the job, for me, is tremendously fun.
Diamonds are like snowflakes- each one slightly different.
Pretty much fun, except if you have to grade many small stones, or even large ones- it can get tedious.

In terms of a profession: it's an extremely tough field to break into.
If you're independently wealthy enough to start your own business, you can be your own boss.
If not, you'll need to associate with a store, or existing business.
That can be super tough today.
Plus, GIA does offer these courses to anyone- so many other people are out there holding the same paperwork.
I'd also add that the GIA diploma ( they don't "certify" stones or people:) is merely a starting point. To be truly effective a gemologist needs many years of practical experience- and GIA can't provide that.....

In any event Good luck!!!!

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your comment, David! It's a shame that it seems to be so hard to break into so many professions today. I appreciate your input!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're very welcome Paper!
Maybe start by seeing if any local jewelry store has an opening. You seem like a good fit in this business!
If you did find a sales job in the jewelry business, the GIA creds can make a difference.
If two applicants have trade experience, and one has the GIA creds, maybe that could be a factor.

If one has the time and means to pursue on a purely educational basis, I think the GIA courses are excellent.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello!

I'm not a gemologist, but I did take a number of gemology courses at a professional gemology school in my area a number of years ago. I considered a career in gemology at the time, but ultimately decided against it because:

1. I learned that gemology was actually mostly about science... while I discovered my real love was finished jewelry.
2. According to my gemology professor and the research I did at the time, gemology tended to pay differently than I initially thought. I was earning more in my existing line of work.

Not that the case would be similar for you. Just sharing my own experience in case it is of interest.

Anne

PS - My professor at the time endorsed a non-GIA gemology accreditation... I can't seem to find it now. I believe it was a European one, something like FGGM or something. She said she felt it was the most rigorous and science-based (at the time). Hopefully someone else will know what I'm talking about and chime in.

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results