shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
I closed this thread and open a new one: "Rough Cutting" for the convenience of lightness. Spinel.

Please help. I am looking for a gem faceter, preferably nearby New York or New England area. Thanks !

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Thank strmrdr, "on the other coast" do you mean California? And where is based Richard Homer? Thank again.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael E is in Washington, Homer is in Ohio.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael Arnstein at Walter Arnstein won an AGTA award for a stone he cut. They're in NY: http://www.walterarnstein.com/

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI Spinel,
If you go to this site, http://www.usfacetersguild.org/ , and join the discussion group you can directly ask most of the cutters in the country if any of them are located close by and could help you. Do you have some rough to cut or do you need a repair on a stone ? If you could post a picture or describe what you need, I'm sure willing to help answer any questions that you might have.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Michael. I have natural spinel and corundum roughs of unusual size.I am looking for a cutter with who that I can participate in the cutting process particularly during the studying and design phase of the project. I will send you a private message. Best regards, spinel.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
I am pleased to share with you some photos. Corundum 265ct. Back side.

DSCF2376.JPG

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Upper view

DSCF2375.JPG

spinel

Shiny_Rock
corundum roughs good to produce faceted rubys 2 to 3 carats

DT051.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
This is spinel. For PS friends only and thanks.

DC006.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
5.15ct spinel cut from 60ct rough

1001sp-5p15-1.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
pavillion view

1001sp-5p15-2.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Spinel,
That is absolutely beautiful rough ! I've sent you a message also.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW! Thank you for sharing those pictures!

Wink

spinel

Shiny_Rock
wink2.gif
Hi Wink, You are welcome. It will be a pleasure for me posting photos of my rough and cut stones along with the name of the artist cutter. Spinel.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Just to mention, the 5.25ct spinel was cut by Yves St-Pierre, Montreal, Canada. It took him two weeks looking at the rough - during the coffee time of course, and two days for cutting. Spinel.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Spinel -

Are you a gem collector? I think that is cool if you are...finding your own rough and then having it cut. It seems to me it would create a personal link between you and the gem.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wonka, yes I am a gem collector and saler but I dont do direct saling. You are right, I feel like having a personal link between the gem and I. Consider myself very lucky to be involved in the whole process of the gem creation, from start to finish. I can even trace back to the spot of earth where the stone was born and have a complete history of it. Best wishes, Spinel.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
That is awesome.

I am looking to start collecting gems and that idea of working through the whole process really hit my mind. I know nothing right now, though, so I need to learn about gemstones first. Then maybe once I get comfortable I can learn about rough in order to purchase and send it to be cut for me.

Any suggestions for a newcomer?

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wonka, I suggest you start by taking gemological courses ... But for sure your path will be different of mine. I live in western world for over 30 years and having some friends at the source. They asked me if I can do something to help them. By curiosity I start taking some unofficial courses from a friend gemologist and reading books, learning gems and their value. With some knowledge I talked to the (western) gem world with more and more confidence. It happenend the same with the source. And one day I came to the source with money and a BIG DOSE of risk. Regards, Spinel

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the advice, spinel.

I am looking more just for a hobbie, not necessarily resale, so the risk factor may not be there. I just need to become educated, but I was hoping to one day find my own rough to have cut so I can have pieces that are very close to me in my collection.

Rich S. just posted a website with an unofficial online gemology course on it which I will definately consider.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
New spinel roughs are being cut. Spinel.

fiveroughs.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Improved photographing. Sorry I dont know how to replace the previous photo. I took this photo under natural daylight, no any additional lighting. Spinel.

spinelr.JPG

spinel

Shiny_Rock
This is a color change spinel.

1004spb-2p78-1.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Pavillion view

1004spb-2p78-2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I didn't know there is colour changing spinels. What colours are they? Blue to xx? What about relative cost/ct, quality and rarity?

spinel

Shiny_Rock
The primary color is blue as in the photo which I took under in-door natural daylight. The color changes gradually to mauve (violet) under hot light. I know it is very rare find but I dont know the value. Someone can help? Spinel

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
It seems to be pretty light in color and windows, so usually about $40 per ct if under 3 cts and $60 if from 3 to 6ct. A really saturated rich colorchanger will go as high as $250 pct and $300 pct for both sizes. I love color change stones, spinel, sapphire, garnet, and buy all I can.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love colour changing stones too! My latest craze is the cc garnets. cc alex it way too costly for me to collect.

ceylon blue

Rough_Rock
hi spinel, thanks for sharing the photo's of your rough.
are they from vietnam or burma ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results