shape
carat
color
clarity

Geauxin'' to the Superbowl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
WHO DAT?!?!
9.gif

It''s finally our year!!
36.gif
I''ve been a rabid Saints fan for as long as I can remember -- because of the time difference, I was stuck at work during the playoff game today. Was going to call in sick to stay home and watch it, but tomorrow is Australia Day public holiday - it would have been a bit suspicious if I was "sick" and managed to get a 4 day weekend out of the deal. So I was responsible (shudder
2.gif
) and settled for rockin'' the Brees jersey at the hospital and getting online to check the score every 10 minutes. Of course most people don''t recognize NFL jerseys here, but it was nice to still show some support to the Black and Gold!

Have already scheduled off Superbowl Monday (once again, crummy time difference - kickoff is 7:30 am) for the only Superbowl party in Perth -- at the Americana bar, complete with breakfast and Coors Light.
2.gif
Bring on the Colts!

Any other Who Dat nationals rejoicing out there???

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Saints fan here! Been a fan all my life! Couldn''t believe the win last night! Fireworks were going off in our neighborhood all night! This is truly an exciting time for Saints fans! WHO DAT!!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
WHO DAT! My heart has been broken by the Saints so many times over the past 2 decades. I''m just overjoyed for them now.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Diehard vikes fan here, I''ll be cheering for the colts because I believe the saints won by bad plays and bad sportsmanship like plays last night. What can I say, I''m still bitter.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I believe the Saints won by interceptions and fumbles by a frazzled Vikings team. Overall, I think the Vikings are the better team, however, their mistakes cost them the game - that pretty much sums up all sports and games - mistakes lose games.

As for "unsportsmanlike" conduct, I get the missed call for the saints tackling farve below the waist, but all others were clean hits - A team''s first attack is the quarterback - the Saints were playing the game, and the Vikings would have sacked Brees just as hard if our O-Line would have let them. It''s part of the game.

The Saints had some pretty terrible calls on them as well....it happens to every team in every game.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 10:26:44 AM
Author: Cleopatra
I believe the Saints won by interceptions and fumbles by a frazzled Vikings team. Overall, I think the Vikings are the better team, however, their mistakes cost them the game - that pretty much sums up all sports and games - mistakes lose games.

As for ''unsportsmanlike'' conduct, I get the missed call for the saints tackling farve below the waist, but all others were clean hits - A team''s first attack is the quarterback - the Saints were playing the game, and the Vikings would have sacked Brees just as hard if our O-Line would have let them. It''s part of the game.

The Saints had some pretty terrible calls on them as well....it happens to every team in every game.

Ditto! The Saints won fair and square-the Vikings blew it big time! And I''m unbiased-I''m a Redskins fan. (Insert embarrassed emotie here.)

I like both teams but I was glad to see the Saints win. I''ll definitely be cheering for the Saints in the Super Bowl!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I was born in Minneapolis so was pulling for the Vikings.
But will be a Saints fan on Superbowl Sunday.

Yes, being down before the touchdown and getting it-- is totally fair.
20.gif

There were some horrible calls, and personally, I think the saints were being bullies. Sacking Farve that low?
38.gif
It seemed to be the "Whatever to win" motto yesterday.

11.gif

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I know and care nothing for sports but...

The hootin'' and hollerin'' and carryin'' on last night in the streets was enough to tickle me and make me smile
9.gif

Mardi Gras festivities will be even nuttier than usual this year.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Giants fan here, but will be chanting WHO DAT with the best.

I would like to see Peyton Manning get another ring, but not this year.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What is the ''who dat'' phrase about? I''ve never really heard it before this year.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 1:31:01 PM
Author: joflier
What is the ''who dat'' phrase about? I''ve never really heard it before this year.

It''s a chant: Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?"

The Saints have used it since the 70s, but the cadence and similar phrasing have apparently been in use since the 19th century, first in minstrel shows, then in vaudville and early jazz. (or at least, so says wikipedia)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the other half of a former rabid Eagles fan... SAINTS!

1. The vikings blew it.
2. Favre bugs me.
3. Manning has two weeks to prepare... that''s two weeks too much for the Saints.
4. WHO had the bright idea of having the pro bowl before the super bowl??

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
WHO DAT!!!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 12:22:59 PM
Author: swedish bean
Yes, being down before the touchdown and getting it-- is totally fair.
20.gif

There were some horrible calls, and personally, I think the saints were being bullies. Sacking Farve that low?
38.gif
It seemed to be the ''Whatever to win'' motto yesterday.

11.gif

As a lifelong athlete, I pretty much think those are the breaks. I''ve been on the bad and good end of calls just like that. Games are live and fast and refs have to use their best judgement. It''s very easy to watch slow motion replays on TV and pick apart the calls, but unless you want a game where every single play is checked by the booth (imagine how boring and slow the OT was in the game yesterday because they kept checking EVERY play) that''s just how it goes. (And I''m no fan of refs-I''ve gotten in trouble quite a few times for questioning their calls when I''m playing.)

Plus I''m not getting why a motto like ''Whatever to win'' is problematic. Isn''t winning the point? These are professional athletes-of course they''ll do anything to win. I felt sorry for Favre too (he''s my football boyfriend!) but the point of the defense is to prevent points and sacking the QB is a great way to do that. I mean they''re playing football-how is it bullying to tackle someone?
20.gif
That''s what they get paid to do.

I know you''re just bitter from the loss last night but it always annoys me when people blame a loss on the refs. There would have to be some seriously awful refs for them to actually change the outcome of the game. If anything, blame the coin toss if you don''t want to blame the many Vikings turnovers. If the Vikings had won the coin toss I bet they would have marched down the field and scored a field goal, too. My issue is with automatic sudden death OT. To my knowledge football is the only sport where the very first quarter is sudden death-in all other sports you get at least 1 full period to see what happens before it goes into sudden death.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
going OT... any views on a 2011 lockout?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colts.....34
Saints...20

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s bold, DF...

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 2:05:37 PM
Author: Clio

Date: 1/25/2010 1:31:01 PM

It''s a chant: Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?''

The Saints have used it since the 70s, but the cadence and similar phrasing have apparently been in use since the 19th century, first in minstrel shows, then in vaudville and early jazz. (or at least, so says wikipedia)
Ah. Thanks Clio!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 3:59:49 PM
Author: yssie

1. The vikings blew it.
2. Favre bugs me.
3. Manning has two weeks to prepare... that''s two weeks too much for the Saints.
No joke! What''s up with that??

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 1:59:21 PM

1. The vikings blew it.
2. Favre bugs me.
I actually thinks this makes sense. How many people watch the Pro Bowl AFTER the last game? I think it''s a good idea to fill the void of the week before the SB with a game. I totally think more ppl will watch it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 2:47:29 AM
That''s bold, DF...
Manning is the best QB i''ve ever seen playing the position.the Saints D will have no answer on how to stop Manning.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 2:29:50 PM
Author: BeachRunner

Date: 1/26/2010 1:59:21 PM

1. The vikings blew it.
2. Favre bugs me.
I actually thinks this makes sense. How many people watch the Pro Bowl AFTER the last game? I think it''s a good idea to fill the void of the week before the SB with a game. I totally think more ppl will watch it.
That part makes sense, but for the players, it really doesn.t It would seem likely that a strong # of ''pro'' players would be on the 2 superbowl teams. And they are not going to be able to participate. Kind of defeats the purpose for that.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 8:20:04 AM
Author:justginger
9.gif
WHO DAT?!?!
9.gif

It''s finally our year!!
36.gif
I''ve been a rabid Saints fan for as long as I can remember -- because of the time difference, I was stuck at work during the playoff game today. Was going to call in sick to stay home and watch it, but tomorrow is Australia Day public holiday - it would have been a bit suspicious if I was ''sick'' and managed to get a 4 day weekend out of the deal. So I was responsible (shudder
2.gif
) and settled for rockin'' the Brees jersey at the hospital and getting online to check the score every 10 minutes. Of course most people don''t recognize NFL jerseys here, but it was nice to still show some support to the Black and Gold!

Have already scheduled off Superbowl Monday (once again, crummy time difference - kickoff is 7:30 am) for the only Superbowl party in Perth -- at the Americana bar, complete with breakfast and Coors Light.
2.gif
Bring on the Colts!

Any other Who Dat nationals rejoicing out there???

I''ve been unable to post but all I have to say is WOOO HOOO! I was so worked up Sunday night I couldn''t sit down. The whole city is rollicking like you can''t imagine. The Times-Picayune (our local paper) printed extras Monday morning but it wasn''t enough, they did a second printing last night which sold out by 8am today and are reportedly going for round 3 tomorrow.

Justginger, if you want to hear some of the audio, go to wwl.com, to the sports section, the article on Garret Hartley and you can hear Jim Henderson calling the kick.

Justginger,

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock

1. The vikings blew it.
2. Favre bugs me.
Ditto!

I''m thrilled for the Saints, but do admit that it would''ve been cool to see two iconic QB''s go at it this superbowl.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT''S HERE!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results