carat
color
clarity

GCAL

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, you will not know until everything is done. Never heard of that lab. For all I know, it could be a bunch of former people from GIA. That said, why take a chance. I'd rather deal with EGL. At least you know would you could potentially get.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are buying from a reputable vendor like the one's you are in the process of dealing with there is no real reason to send the stone in for additional certifications from various companies. I think having an independent appraisal done to verify the stone is what the vendor says and then be able to have that appraiser view the diamond unset and then again set so they can do a write up of the setting for insurance purposes is really all you need. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money.

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
I wanted a light performance evaluation of the stone and most appraisals do not provide such evaluation. However, GCAL can do both an appraisal and a certification that includes light performance analysis. The question is how reputable are they?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They've been through some chaos lately that included an acquisition and a divesture by a large public company but, at the end of the day yes, they are a reputable outfit and Mr. Palmeri is a highly capable appraiser and gemologist. Their diamond performance evaluation system is a bit cryptic and you sould make sure you understand it if you are interested it. It is NOT the same as either the GIA or AGS approach to cut grading.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have an ASET of your stone? Can that image and the details of the stone be put on the appraisal?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GCAL is higly accurate and has earned the respect of many people in the trade, but it is not a universally acknowledge authoriuty internationally like the GIA. Their grades are guaranteed unlike most other labs. The light behavior grading they do is indeed cryptic, but it is based on direct measurement of light performance and certainly does have some degree of merit in helping a consumer to choose one stone from another. I would buy a GCAL graded diamond for color and clarity grading at the same price as a GIA graded diamond and with the same degree of confidence. However, I might end up needing a GIA report in order to sell the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results