shape
carat
color
clarity

GCal 8x for OVALS?

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I wasn't sure if this was already discussed, but has anyone seen one of these GCAL 8x Ovals anywhere? Curious if anyone owns one and can attest to the 8x evaluation.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Check Adiamor
They have GCal ovals. Don't know if they have an 8x

Click on Advanced search and select GCal for cert.

These are the best...take a look at that ASET!

This one has a GCal

And THIS! They rated this an IDEAL CUT on GCal so if they ever had an 8X this stone would qualify but he did not get the cert for an 8x. Talk to Jon and he will get you the very best oval for your budget.

Also take a look at his MOVAL cut they are lovely too.

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Never seen an 8x oval. They would not exist in the real world with the way they cut ovals these days. Strange GCal is offering to Cert. ovals "8x"...maybe trying to drum up more biz by getting ppl with ovals to use their service. Just thinking out loud. The best cut ovals on the market are offered by Distinctive Gem and as you see with what I posted above...none are certed "8x" by GCal. Contact Jon at DG and ask him your questions. I'm pretty sure he can give you those answers.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Never seen an 8x oval. They would not exist in the real world with the way they cut ovals these days. Strange GCal is offering to Cert. ovals "8x".

All of the requirements for an oval that makes their "8X" cut criteria is listed in the link that I posted above. Plenty of ovals exist that fall with the proportions and angles ranges...they also have to meet all of the other requirements to earn the 8X moniker.

dandelions

Rough_Rock
Check Adiamor
They have GCal ovals. Don't know if they have an 8x

Click on Advanced search and select GCal for cert.

These are the best...take a look at that ASET!

This one has a GCal

And THIS! They rated this an IDEAL CUT on GCal so if they ever had an 8X this stone would qualify but he did not get the cert for an 8x. Talk to Jon and he will get you the very best oval for your budget.

Also take a look at his MOVAL cut they are lovely too.

That stone you posted from Jon's shop is GORGEOUS! It's cut so beautifully. Truly a piece of art.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
All of the requirements for an oval that makes their "8X" cut criteria is listed in the link that I posted above. Plenty of ovals exist that fall with the proportions and angles ranges...they also have to meet all of the other requirements to earn the 8X moniker.

yes, but have you SEEN one? That was the OP's question.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
yes, but have you SEEN one?

Not yet, but I'm waiting for them to start hitting the market so that I can see one, since GCAL 8X cert is pretty new from what I could gather.
They either nailed it and got it right in regards to light return and performance, or it's going to be ho-hum since ovals are so tricky to try and categorize...if GCAL is truly assessing them properly like AGS does, then they'll be great and make oval shopping that much easier.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That stone you posted from Jon's shop is GORGEOUS! It's cut so beautifully. Truly a piece of art.

Yes, he has the very best ovals on the planet. HA! DejaWiz has a knack for spotting nice ovals. I did a search the other day and discovered if you do an advanced search and put in a 56% table you can find some nicely faceted ovals.

Notice Jon's ovals are very deep with tiny tables, thus the depth makes them an higher price. It seems his old rules for cushions mid 60's depth and mid 50's tables appears to hold true for ovals as well. Of course you can find nice ovals with larger tables than 56-57 but the smaller table makes for a high crown and nice faceting. Jon's concierge service will cherry pick any shape you want. I love the antique faceted ovals...super rare to get a real antique oval!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results