shape
carat
color
clarity

Garry H and David Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
Garry and David, could you comment on my questions? Thank you!

What do you guys think about the color/clarity combination of J and VS1. According to Fred from diamondcuttersintl.com they said this is not a good combination because the color is too low for VS1 or vis versa. Therefore there is no market for this kind of diamond now or in the future. Does anyone have any comments about "warped" diamonds that is commenly quoted on their website? Based on their calculations, every single diamond is warped.

Would your opinion about the J/VS1 combination change if it was an Eightstar diamond? What about your thoughts of J color in an Eightstar? Can you safely say it actually looks whiter than a non-eightstar? Any thoughts about setting this in platinum, too yellow?

What is the fair price for this stone 1.63 ct J VSI Depth 60.2 Table 55 Crown ht 15.0 Crown angle 33.8 Pavillion Depth 42.6 Pavillion angle 40.7 Girdle med to slightly thick. Does the angles match? Face up you cant tell any difference from this J to a E. Would you price this differently if I say it is an ideal cut and if I say it is an branded diamond or an eigthstar? Do anyone have a price range, high/low???

How well will this do on the HCA? Does this mean anything if it does score well?

Would anyone buy this stone, is it a top notch stone?

Thank You!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Not Dave or Garry... but the HCA link is at the bottom of the page and I took the liberty of putting in your numbers. It got FOUR "Excellents" in Light Return, Fire, Scintillations and Spread...
eek.gif
with a total score of "0.6 (ideally, you are looking for a score < 2.0), excellent, within TIC range". WOW! I have never personally seen 4 "excellents" before! I am seriously impressed!
9.gif

Regarding Fred, I learned early on that around here Fred isn't held in the highest regard, so I wouldn't worry about anything he says!
2.gif
For more info on that, do a search on him, you'll get lots of threads.

To get an idea of competitive pricing, you could do a search (on Pricescope) for similar stones.

The rest of your questions will need to be answered by someone more qualified than me!

Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure!
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I think J VS1 is fine if it is fine with you. I don't take the whole "long term value" thing too seriously, because we see in post after post, there isn't much resale capability for consumers on stones anyway. I guess if you want to upgrade it with someone other than this vendor, you should try to make sure it is a mainstream stone combo with lots of demand, but even that doesn't mean you will get you money out of it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is nothing wrong with J color unless you cannot bear to have someone with a less colored diamond compare it side-by-side with yours. Some people are into oneupmanship and others could care less. A sparkly diamond, finely cut, regardless of the color, is a wonderful combination of nature and our manipulation via cutting.

The pricing is commeasurate with color and any other factors, but by buying a stone just a tad off the most desired range of color you will save big bucks. I see no harm in it so long as YOU appreciate the choice you are making.

Many far darker diamonds are treasured and enjoyed in regions of the world where "colorless" is not deemed as enchanting as somewhat tinted...Just like we don't all have totally white skin, nether do diamonds. We still are all special in our own ways.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results