shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnets come in yellow? Can someone please tell me more?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
So I saw the Gem Scoop email and checked it out too late. But that yellow garnet! Such a pretty yellow...

Does anyone have one?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
You are probably thinking of Mali garnets

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
You are probably thinking of Mali garnets

I read that they’re very sparkly and I’m wondering if that’s true. I requested to buy it if other sales fall through but I betting I’m too late.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I expect darker yellows from garnets - WWW , but yellow grossular might be happy yellows www

A golden/greenish yellow demantoid exists, but I haven't even heard of a great stone.

2p

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I saw the Gem Scoop email and checked it out too late. But that yellow garnet! Such a pretty yellow...

Does anyone have one?
The yellow Jeff had in his Gem Scoop was a Mali Garnet. I don’t have one, but hope to some day! Multicolour is one site I know of that has many Mali garnets to choose from. You just have to look at their listings info and photo carefully for cut and color info, if you don’t want the hassle of an international shipping return.
http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html?207188737

Last edited:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a nice yellow garnet. The Mali’s will lean brownish or greenish, so you don’t see a ton of nice straight yellows (or intense greens).

When they lean green, the can look rather “snotty” to my eye... until they get a lot more green.

Rough **** - the front 5 are garnet, with the second row looking rather mucus to me.

4EBEA941-602C-4E7F-93FD-0389C95799CF.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a nice yellow garnet. The Mali’s will lean brownish or greenish, so you don’t see a ton of nice straight yellows (or intense greens).

When they lean green, the can look rather “snotty” to my eye... until they get a lot more green.

Rough **** - the front 5 are garnet, with the second row looking rather mucus to me.

4EBEA941-602C-4E7F-93FD-0389C95799CF.jpeg
That’s a nice rough collection!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen Mali garnets ranging from a green almost like a tsavorite to yellow, brown and almost colorless. My preference are the yellows with green. There are also yellow Grossular garnets. I think at one time JTV was calling them yellow tsavorite, as tsavorite is a green Grossular garnet.
Here’s a few images from years ago, all stones long gone to maybe some people here on Pricescope. Mali Garnets have very high dispersion, and in person are very lively stones.
2527C48E-175A-49C5-B0B9-3DA121DC4220.jpeg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I expect darker yellows from garnets - WWW , but yellow grossular might be happy yellows www

A golden/greenish yellow demantoid exists, but I haven't even heard of a great stone.

2p

I would have replied earlier but I spent hours today looking at Earth Treasury’s website. They have a little OEC yellow sapphire I have my eye on. Yellow is really my jam right now.

Reactions: AV_

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
The yellow Jeff had in his Gem Scoop was a Mali Garnet. I don’t have one, but hope to some day! Multicolour is one site I know of that has many Mali garnets to choose from. You just have to look at their listings info and photo carefully for cut and color info, if you don’t want the hassle of an international shipping return.
http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html?207188737

They’re so cheap, thanks for sharing! Wow. I have to go through this tonight and order one if (I can narrow it down to one).

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have seen Mali garnets ranging from a green almost like a tsavorite to yellow, brown and almost colorless. My preference are the yellows with green. There are also yellow Grossular garnets. I think at one time JTV was calling them yellow tsavorite, as tsavorite is a green Grossular garnet.
Here’s a few images from years ago, all stones long gone to maybe some people here on Pricescope. Mali Garnets have very high dispersion, and in person are very lively stones.
2527C48E-175A-49C5-B0B9-3DA121DC4220.jpeg

These are so pretty. Are these with green? I noticed some say yellow green but I just see yellow. I’m thinking my eye for color isn’t very good...
Regardless I need to get my hands on one.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They’re so cheap, thanks for sharing! Wow. I have to go through this tonight and order one if (I can narrow it down to one).
This one is probably my favorite of the Mali’s they have to offer, since it is eye clean and looks pretty well cut without a window. It won’t be precision cut like Jeff’s though and I’m not sure how much green will show... Choosing a gem from a single photo is tricky!
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1443980896

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
This one is probably my favorite of the Mali’s they have to offer, since it is eye clean and looks pretty well cut without a window. It won’t be precision cut like Jeff’s though and I’m not sure how much green will show... Choosing a gem from a single photo is tricky!
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1443980896

That’s the one I like the best too. How much will precision cutting matter? I can hang around and wait for a precision cut garnet if it’s a noticeable difference.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s the one I like the best too. How much will precision cutting matter? I can hang around and wait for a precision cut garnet if it’s a noticeable difference.
That particular stone looks well cut to me from the photo, and it’s a nice size for the price. I only mentioned it because I wasn’t sure if you were looking for a precision cut stone :)). There are many beautiful non-precision cut stones out there. Multicolour has a decent return policy if you didn’t like the stone, you would have to mail it back to Thailand.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

I saw those! But they’re smaller than I’m hoping for... although I could halo them. :roll2:

That particular stone looks well cut to me from the photo, and it’s a nice size for the price. I only mentioned it because I wasn’t sure if you were looking for a precision cut stone :)). There are many beautiful non-precision cut stones out there. Multicolour has a decent return policy if you didn’t like the stone, you would have to mail it back to Thailand.

This is def my top pick. I’m going to wait to know for sure that the one on Gem Scoop isn’t coming back. I’m so disappointed I missed that one...

On the other end of the price spectrum - seems reasonably cut, but may be greener than the photo looks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1-02c...649025?hash=item56cbe01a01:g:a5QAAOSwrxpdisss

A little greener than I’d like but at that price I might just give it a go. Worst case scenario I have 2...

There is also this beautiful yellow grossular garnet cut by Gene in a custom setting on LT :love:
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...nigan-yellow-grossular-garnet-in-diamond-halo
F78B7C2C-98DE-42A6-A864-1A271ED5305E.jpeg

That’s gorgeous! If it were in yellow gold I’d be all over it.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
My concern with the Multicolour one is the color description, 'medium yellow-green' suggesting that green is the dominant color.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My concern with the Multicolour one is the color description, 'medium yellow-green' suggesting that green is the dominant color.

How accurate are vendor photos usually?

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

One of the forum experts would have to weigh in on that :)
What I would do is email them and ask whether the photo or desc is more accurate, and mention that I am looking for a yellow garnet without strong modifiers. Maybe they would recommend a different stone, maybe not.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have purchased three stones from Multicolour and the color of the stones in person has been the same as their photos, but just not as intense, so a softer version of their picture is what I would expect. If you click on “Download Identification Report” in that items listing, you can see more detailed info. There they have the color of the stone described as “yellow-green or green-yellow”.
I’m still learning to read photos that were taken under a bright studio light. Sometimes the light is so much brighter on the center of the stone than any lighting I would ever find in my environment, that I find it helpful to ignore the center and look at the color around the edges. I also do this with any medium or darker stones from a Jeff Davies. Do you still like the color you see in this photo?
F3514851-8E53-449D-A72E-7309EA3C0046.jpeg

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Funny I was just looking at some stones on a website and was thinking the same thing - do garnets come in yellow? These were more golden honey lemoney or cognac colour. Very nice. They have inclusions that look like swishes of water with some glitter/tinsel like effect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results