shape
carat
color
clarity

Gals, Let's Talk Bras

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm in desperate need of new bras. I'm still wearing my nursing bras, and my pre-pregnancy bras don't fit. I don't even know what size I am. I plan to go to a department store tomorrow to get measured (Dillard's) and hopefully buy some. The ladies are huge. Probably bigger than DD...so good support is key. Any recommendations? I've read great reviews of the Modern Movement Hidden Comfort Minimizer, but I've never worn a minimizer before.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I *wish* I could help you with big tata recommendations, but alas, I am not knowledgeable of such things. :nono: :lol: If you wanted me to point you in the direction of 'lift and pad' in Victoria's Secret, I'd be all over it. :wink2:

Hopefully one of the better endowed PSers can help you out - having good bras makes you feel so, so much better.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1358054108|3354340 said:
I'm in desperate need of new bras. I'm still wearing my nursing bras, and my pre-pregnancy bras don't fit. I don't even know what size I am. I plan to go to a department store tomorrow to get measured (Dillard's) and hopefully buy some. The ladies are huge. Probably bigger than DD...so good support is key. Any recommendations? I've read great reviews of the Modern Movement Hidden Comfort Minimizer, but I've never worn a minimizer before.

This is giving me a sense of deja vu. I remember the thread because I was so out of it! I'm not sure where it was. Do you remember the one I am talking about? I recall it because my godson's new wife (a manager at a Victoria's Secret store) had fitted me for a bra at the insistance of some of my friends. To me the new bra was a revelation (compared to what I had been wearing), but everyone else seemed to think it was very old fashioned!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

D

Deactivated member 42515

I also have problems with bras. But I recently bought some t-shirt bras from simplybe.com. Obviously you're still going to have to go and get yourself sized if you wanna order online. But I really liked their bras. It has good support and the straps were nice and wide so that the girls weren't as heavy on my shoulders. I have bought bras from Macy's, Nordstroms, Victoria's Secret (which I hate the most) and tries a bunch of different brands. But I am liking simplybe's t-shirt bras right now. I got a 2 pack (one teal, one purple) for only 11 dollars which I thought was awesome.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I also can't help since I'm flat and wear sports bras to work! However one thing I would say is get measured at the place you intend to actually buy from, because they really have different fits! For example, I'm a totally different size between Frederick's, Soma, and Vicky's.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
justginger said:
I *wish* I could help you with big tata recommendations, but alas, I am not knowledgeable of such things. :nono: :lol: If you wanted me to point you in the direction of 'lift and pad' in Victoria's Secret, I'd be all over it. :wink2:

Hopefully one of the better endowed PSers can help you out - having good bras makes you feel so, so much better.

The grass is always greener, right?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
This is giving me a sense of deja vu. I remember the thread because I was so out of it! I'm not sure where it was. Do you remember the one I am talking about? I recall it because my godson's new wife (a manager at a Victoria's Secret store) had fitted me for a bra at the insistance of some of my friends. To me the new bra was a revelation (compared to what I had been wearing), but everyone else seemed to think it was very old fashioned!

Deb/AGBF

Hmm, doesn't ring a bell. I'll do some searching when I'm not on my ipad.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
YT said:
I also have problems with bras. But I recently bought some t-shirt bras from simplybe.com. Obviously you're still going to have to go and get yourself sized if you wanna order online. But I really liked their bras. It has good support and the straps were nice and wide so that the girls weren't as heavy on my shoulders. I have bought bras from Macy's, Nordstroms, Victoria's Secret (which I hate the most) and tries a bunch of different brands. But I am liking simplybe's t-shirt bras right now. I got a 2 pack (one teal, one purple) for only 11 dollars which I thought was awesome.

Thanks, I will check it out!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane said:
I also can't help since I'm flat and wear sports bras to work! However one thing I would say is get measured at the place you intend to actually buy from, because they really have different fits! For example, I'm a totally different size between Frederick's, Soma, and Vicky's.

Jealous! Good advice. I will be sure to do that. I don't even thing VS carries sizes as big as I'd need. Even when I'm at my thinnest (about 140, and I'm 5'7" with a solid build) I'm around a 32/34 D. Now that I have baby weight and post-BFing boobs? Ugh....GIANT.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is this the SMTBoobs thread?... :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1358058153|3354372 said:

It took you one hour and seven minutes to find this thread. Were you napping?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1358058357|3354376 said:

It took you one hour and seven minutes to find this thread. Were you napping?
just came back from a late dinner... :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, this is a thread for gals to talk about their bras and boobs.

What could possibly be interesting about THAT? :confused:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to get all mine from online vendors. Her Room, Bare Necessities. If you are really bigger than DD, your choices in department store brands plummet. The selection in British and French brands is way better, but you pay a lot more.

Victoria's Secret only goes to DDD, which is not very impressive. Many women are wearing too small of a cup size and making up for it by wearing too large of a band size, so if you think you are at least DD, you might be out of their range. You'll get no support if you go that route. I wouldn't trust Dillard's, btw. No matter what they measure you as, they will tell you that you are a size they have in stock. There are about 8 different formulas for getting bra sizes anyhow, and they will settle on the one that gets you to buy something. There is a sort of overlap between a 36 DDD and a 34 DDDD but there's almost always one that's better than the other, and it's almost always the 34 DDDD because bands stretch--you should buy the one that fits you on the loosest hooks so that you can go down after the band stretches.

The easiest way to size a bra is to find one you like, then try band sizes on upside down and backwards until you find the one that fits on the loosest hooks. Then try that band size in the largest cup size they sell. If it's too large, the cups will wrinkle. Move down one cup size at a time until you get the cup that just barely fails to wrinkle. Then buy that one. If the largest cup size has any sort of pulling or breast overhang, it's too small and you need to find a different style. If the middle of the bra in the largest cup size doesn't lay flat on your chest, the cup size is too small and you need to find a different style.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can help. I wear an H cup, so I can only buy specialty bras. My favorite brands are Freya (my bras are by far mostly Freya), Chantelle, Fantasie and Panache. Nordstrom's usually carries Freya and Chantelle, occasionally the other two brands. I'd go there and get sized, maybe buy a bra or two. After you know your size, I'd recommend figleaves.com. I buy my bras from there now and they are great. They have sales fairly often, plus you can sometimes find coupon codes if you search online :)

My FAVORITE bra right now: http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/FRA-AA1153/Freya-Edina-Underwired-Padded-Longline-Bra/?size=&colour=Black

LOVE LOVE LOVE this bra. The longline style is super comfortable and VERY flattering, and the slightly longer style also smooths everything out in the back so it looks nice under tight clothing. :)

Also, for general big boobed related bra and clothing advice, this is my favorite blog: http://www.thinandcurvy.com/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1358059930|3354380 said:

not so interesting w/o pics... ;(

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Very solid advise from ChristineRose and Cygnet--I'm not busty, but one of my closest friends is. She relies in Nordstrom for all her bras--the sales associates are very helpful and she said that they have the most accurate measuring of any of the department stores.

A couple years ago FSIL told me that she wanted to take her mom to be fitted for bras (FMIL has large breasts and back problems, and she had been complaining of the straps on her shoulders). Random present, so I felt it needed explanation ;P ... Anyways, I told FSIL to try Nordstrom and they had a very good experience. FMIL has been buying her bras there ever since. I properly fitted bra has made her more comfortable and she looks 10lbs thinner!

I know that there are specialty shops and also custom options, but those are super expensive. If you don't want to spend $200 on a bra, I think Nordstrom is the ticket. Good luck!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in Ontario, so the stores may be different, but if you were to google specialty bra shops in your area - I'd at least start there for a properly measured one. You don't have to buy there but at least you'll get a sense of what is the better size for you to be looking at. There are a few in my city and the difference it makes in a well fit bra --- HEAVEN!! It lifts those puppies up and forward and you can BREATHE better!! I was able to find a few that also did not dig into my shoulders and still supported my back as well. AND... were lacy/frilly/coloured - not the utilitarian white or beige! :naughty:

Mind you, they are not cheap ($100+ on average, sadly) but it could be worth it. Happy hunting, amc!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I could have really helped if you were in the UK. I wear a 32F which is an awkward size. I'm all boobs.

I recommend Freya and Rigby and Peller to girls here. Most important thing: get properly fitted. And remember your body can change rapidly during this time, so don't buy too many bras that won't fit later.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Going to Dillards or Nordstrom to be measured is a good start, but don't be surprised if you wear different sizes in different brands. That's why so many women are actually wearing the wrong size bra. A 32DDD in one brand may not fit the same as another brand. Freya and Fantasie are great, but the brand I wear and both my DD's wear is Wacoal, which both Dillards and Nordstrom carry. This style is my younger DD's all time favorite:

http://www.barenecessities.com/waco...anual_cm_sp=SlotLocation-_-R1C3-_-Wacoal85567

She has a small ribcage, but some serious cleavage, and this bra looks great under her clothes and is very comfortable. She's been wearing it for years, and always comes back to it for day to day wear.

Good luck, bra shopping is right up there with shopping for a swimsuit as one of my all-time least favorite things to do.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto the suggestions to go to Nordstrom's! I'm not busty but they have a great selection, measure you correctly and have great customer service. And once you know your size in a particular brand you can always go online to bargain hunt.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1358056334|3354359 said:
AGBF said:

Hmm, doesn't ring a bell. I'll do some searching when I'm not on my ipad.

This was the thread I was thinking of. It may not have information helpful to you, but it was the one that gave me the sense that I had been here before!:

The Other Bra Thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bra-sizes-am-i-the-only-one-who-didnt-know-this.178980/#post-3254885#p3254885']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bra-sizes-am-i-the-only-one-who-didnt-know-this.178980/#post-3254885#p3254885[/URL]

Deb/AGBF

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all the great suggestions! I would absolutely go to Nordstrom, but we don't have one. The closest one is a two hour crappy drive away. The Dillard's here is great and they never try to push anything. I've really only got that, Macy's (ick) and VS, and I'm pretty sure I won't fit at VS.

I only plan on buying two or so, since I'm in the process of losing baby weight. Ideally I'd just wait until more weight was lost, but the situation is pretty desperate right now.

I agree that bra shopping is the worst. I'd rather bathing suit shop because that usual means in going somewhere warm.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might be better off with mail order then. Freya and Fantasie are British and owned by the same company. I can't quite see the difference but I think Freya is a little cheaper and a little lacier. Panache and Chantelle are French, I believe. All should be readily found at the stores mentioned (Figleaves, Her Room, Bare Necessities). Going to Canada is an option for me and one I recommend if it fits your geography. I have never bra shopped at a Nordstrom's as the location doesn't really make sense for me either and the selection is not going to be comparable.

As far as sizing, there are unfortunately three different conventions for cup sizes. This is addition to the "every brand is a little different" and "every bra is a little different" problem. However once you know your nominal size in Brand X, the specialty stores can easily tell you your size in any brand.

Start with going to Dillard's and follow the procedure I gave you. If you end up in the size they measured, so much the better, but if not, don't compromise on size. I have never been to a Dillard's, but they do have one style in G and GG online. Hopefully you will be able to find something that fits, then maybe you can move onto mail order.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vanity fair makes wonderful large cup bras and they are sold at kohl's. Wachol is oprahs favorite brand and is at Macy's. vanity fair is more affordable.
dF, I will show my boobs if you show yours first.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chances are, you're way bigger than a DD. The conventional mall measurements of the bust is always incorrect. They assume two measurements, one around your ribcage, and one around your bust, is enough to tell you your bust size. Every woman has different shaped busts. That is absurd to just do one quick measurement like that and, TA DA! Bra size! It only works for women with smaller busts that are perky. They try to shove everyone's tits into a DD or DDD. Hello? What about E, F, G, H, I? Get properly fitted.

Here's one chart you can rely on: http://www.wizardofbras.com/cupsizechart.aspx
Though trying on the actual bras should help more since the widest part of your bust is different than the widest part of another woman's. It all depends on the slope of your breast. A perkier breast will measure wider than a hanging breast, but it doesn't mean the volume is any different, KWIM? And that's why I hate the stupid conventional measuring.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Lol! :lol:
You sound like DH....

D

Deactivated member 42515

Tuckins1 said:

Lol! :lol:
You sound like DH....
Haha well Kenny sounds like my best friend. Talk about vaginas and he thinks they are "the deep abyss of doom."

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I'm a 40E & shop for bras at Intimacy. My bras cost over $100 each but they are perfect! So comfy, uplifting :) ,beautifully constructed. Worth every penny! I gave my female employees each a gift card for this store for Christmas. Every woman should be fitted for a bra. Makes a world of difference. link: http://www.myintimacy.com/

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1358067124|3354406 said:
kenny|1358059930|3354380 said:

not so interesting w/o pics... ;(
you first!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results