shape
carat
color
clarity

gah! no luck again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
So I contacted another local jeweler about helping me find a 6 to 7mm round sapphire for my e-ring... and he got nothing
39.gif

How long did it take you guys to find that "perfect" gem? Did you contact several companies? Who was good to work with? Did you have to modify what you were looking for?

Sorry for the many questions, but I''d like some advice as I''m still pretty new to this world...

here''s a collage of the color range I''m looking for... am I crazy to be looking for this?

karasapphcolors.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried the Natural Sapphire Company or Simply Sapphires?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you tried jeff white to see if he has any? roughs that may cut a color like these? i love the richard homer and the far left middle color..yummy!

ETA: so you want a color changing sapphire? what about from Finewatergems ? Gary cut that oval one, maybe he has another rough like it? that he can cut in round? have you tried to ask him?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve looked through the entire "sites that sell colored gemstones" thread. that''s where I started when I came to this site.

I LOOOOVE the oval color changer that Gary has on his site. I did contact him and gave him a rough idea of the color I was looking for and that''s what he came up with just to see if we were on the same page. Jon (my fiance) and I talked about it and if it were a round we would have snatched it off of his site right then and there.. but... it wouldn''t work in the setting
39.gif

it doesn''t have to be a color change, but it would be fabulous if I could find one with a reasonable price tag
31.gif
I just love blues and purples...

I''ll try to contact Jeff white to see what he has... I haven''t tried him yet, maybe I''ll get lucky this time...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 4:20:03 PM
Author:kas baby
So I contacted another local jeweler about helping me find a 6 to 7mm round sapphire for my e-ring... and he got nothing
39.gif

How long did it take you guys to find that ''perfect'' gem? Did you contact several companies? Who was good to work with? Did you have to modify what you were looking for?

Sorry for the many questions, but I''d like some advice as I''m still pretty new to this world...

here''s a collage of the color range I''m looking for... am I crazy to be looking for this?
Hi kas baby, and welcome to coloured stones.

My stone search was about 5 months from start to finish. It''s from Jeff White.

It takes a while to find "the one". You can''t just punch in some #s like with diamonds and come up with the right forumula. Sapphires are all so different and individual.

Keep looking, be patient, and the ''right one'' will find you!

LS

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone.

LostSapphire, in some lighting the sapphs in the band I have right now aspire to show color like your yummy Blueberry
30.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 5:24:50 PM
Author: kas baby
thanks everyone.

LostSapphire, in some lighting the sapphs in the band I have right now aspire to show color like your yummy Blueberry
30.gif

Thank you kas. I love it too!

LS

ETA: e-mail Jeff White. Send him the photo collage you posted, and the size you're looking for. He is a dream to work with.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
they try
1.gif
sorry its kinda blurry...

Karas sapph band.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 5:27:02 PM
they try
1.gif
WoW such gorgeous blue lusciousness! That is lovely. So many eternity bands with sapphires are made with the really dark stones.

It looks fab on your hand.

LS

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
The colors in your band are so pretty. I can see from the photo that it is going to be very hard to find the right stone. Do you have a time frame? I finally got my perfect blue about six months ago. I had done a lot of what you are doing, to no avail. Finally, I placed it in the hands of a dealer I felt comfortable with. He told me it might take several months or MORE to find the right stone. When he finally found the stone, he bought it for me, and I knew nothing of the stone until after that. I honestly do not know what he would have thought if I had then said I did not want the stone. That was never an issue, however, because it was just perfect for me.

You are going to have to be patient with this, if you are like those of us who have a very clear mental picture of what we want.
Try to find someone to work with that you trust, and that will listen to you. Then, sit back and enjoy looking at all the pretty stones and settings on here. One day, you will get the call that the person you are working with has something you may be interested in seeing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you check out simplysapphires.com as well?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha, I was going to post the same question today! I love the color range you''re looking for! I think it will be worth the wait..it''s just the waiting suuuuucks.

Barry Bridgestock is hunting for a lavender spinel for me..and it''s not quite been 2 months-but wow does it seem like forever ago when I first asked him. I thought *surely* it had to have been in April I first emailed..but I looked and it was beginning/mid May!

Once you have it tho, you''ll be head over heels!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
It took me about 2 months to find the perfect sapphire for my e-ring. I talked to probably 4 or 5 different cutters/vendors and finally fell in love with a round stone from Richard Homer. Mine is really similar to the round one from him in your collage, but mine is .96 ct. I love my stone - its got a slight violet undertone and I think it has a bit of color change to it as well. It's really ultraviolet looking under flourescent and indoor lighting and bright blueberry blue under natural light.

Edited to add - Where did you get your sapphire eternity ring? I just absolutely adore it!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 5:27:02 PM
they try
1.gif
I agree with the others, this is a great colored eternity band. Where did you get it?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thank you szh07, D&T, Lost Sapphire, Pink tower, tourmaline lover, packrat, laurel25, and stone hunter, for your advice and kind words.

Its a half eternity, I love it. He did a great job, he didn''t even know I didn''t want diamonds, nor did he know that I despise navy/inky sapphires. He just knows me so well.
30.gif
My FI picked it out from a family owned jeweler in a mall in Port Huron.The people there are really nice, always remember us (and the ring) when we go in to browse.

We''ll be engaged for exactly a year on saturday (my birthday!) but still won''t be getting married until May 22, 2011. So I have the time, and the longer I have to wait, the more I get saved up
31.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 9:28:29 PM
Author: laurel25
It took me about 2 months to find the perfect sapphire for my e-ring. I talked to probably 4 or 5 different cutters/vendors and finally fell in love with a round stone from Richard Homer. Mine is really similar to the round one from him in your collage, but mine is .96 ct. I love my stone - its got a slight violet undertone and I think it has a bit of color change to it as well. It''s really ultraviolet looking under flourescent and indoor lighting and bright blueberry blue under natural light.

Edited to add - Where did you get your sapphire eternity ring? I just absolutely adore it!!!
laurel25: I just love your sapphire! Jon and I were watching it for a while back when it was for sale, but we decided no and kept on looking. I see it found its way into good hands, wear it in good health!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very pretty and a bright blue shade. Finding the right stone will take time. If you are impatient, then contact the vendor to have him look for you. Also, sometimes the vendor does not list everything in his inventory. My favourite sources:
www.winkjones.com for something rare and I can’t seem to find on my own
www.diamondexpert.com for things on Pala or something pretty on a tight budget
Precision cuts:
www.whitesgems.com
www.precisiongems.com
www.acstones.com
Others:
www.awesomegems.com
www.ajsgems.com
The sapphire specialty vendors are already named: Natural Sapphire Company and Simply Sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very intense colour and of course, an intense pricetag to match.
9.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Here is mine. It took about four months to find. However, I could have found one earlier if the budgeted amount was larger, because the one Chrono posted would have been perfect. My stone is lighter than average, but brilliant. It is 1.85 carats. The color was referred to as ''Marine Blue.'' I can post another one, in a CAD. It is not set yet. But it is interesting to see how much the color deepens with the setting.

sapphire reduced.JPG

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
whoo! that is intense!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink,
Are you referring to the one D&T posted from Richard Wise's website? I did not post any pictures in this thread.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, D&T,
Ooops, my mistake. It is really nice, don''t you agree!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 4:09:45 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Chrono, D&T,
Ooops, my mistake. It is really nice, don''t you agree!!!
Yes, great colour for those who prefer a violetish sapphire.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Tower - when do you get yours back all set?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was looking for a similar color in a spinel, and it took around 3 months I think. The thread was called "Desperately Seeking Spinel" and was around 20 (maybe) pages. Our budget was pretty tiny though.

Good luck!!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Kas,
Here is a photo I snapped with my blackberry of the same stone. My experience is that the stone will look better at home than in the vendor photos. If you consistently find the inverse is true, then I would work through someone else.

D&T,
I''m not sure. The wax is done,but I am thinking about some things before he casts it.

bluefloor.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
another stone, you've probably already seen this, but from John's description he says it is a vivid royal blue . just thought I'd throw this in there as well.

gemritebluesapphirernd1.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sourced mine from Garry Dutton. http://www.diamondexpert.com Its not super duper dark nor really ideal color but its soooo lively and pretty and glows like crazy in every light. The color change in direct sunlight is amazing (it turns deep blue)

Just back from bermuda cruise where I had folks grabbing my hand asking me where I got it.

If you don't find what you want on his site you could certainly sent him an email. He's great to work with.
1.gif

-A

arc0311.jpg

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kas baby,

where did you get that photo in the top left-hand corner of your collage???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results