shape
carat
color
clarity

Gabi Tolkowsky has passed away

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
He was a living legend. A link to his great uncle who was the first to apply some math and science to diamond cut proportions.
Gabi had a personality larger than life and a humility in contrast.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Rest in Peace, Gabi - thank you for continuing the legacy of diamond cut perfection bestowed upon the world by your great uncle Marcel.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for posting Garry.
Truly a remarkable man- and life.
He certainly made an impression on our industry- and in real life.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RIP.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Sad…it sounds like he was a great guy.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sad…it sounds like he was a great guy.
Larger than life and a deep thinker.
I invited Gabi to be keynote speaker at the First international Diamond Cut Conference held in Moscow in 2004.
I have taken a photo of his talk from the Proceedings.
I understand that many of you reading this are collectors and more expert than many in the industry. But please think about the wisdom of this amazing man.
A loss but only after his memory and achievements are forgotten. Gabi IDCC-1.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RIP and thank you so much for your work!! So many of us here have reaped the benefit of it.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I hope this video can be accessed. What a spirit!

hiratop

Rough_Rock
Gaby designed the flower cuts. What kind of ASETs do these have?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gaby designed the flower cuts. What kind of ASETs do these have?
They were designed and cut for different purposes. Gabi explained this to me the first time we met.
I was walking back to my Antwerp hotel at dusk after working late buying thousands of melee with an Ideal-Scope.
Gabi was walking the other way down the Hoovernslerstratt. I recognised him and called out Hello Mr Tolkowsky. Gabi replied, You're that young man from Australia. Mr Holloway?
He proceeded to give me a lecture about diamonds and what they mean, as opposed to my philosophy of what they are.
Feelings versus objects.
People like different diamonds for different reasons.
I had written here some criticisms of some of Gabi's diamond cuts, and he was well aware of my views and made a compelling case for the need for diversity.
Some people like rose cut diamonds which have most unusual light behaviour and totally fail ASET testing Hiratop.

hiratop

Rough_Rock
Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, perfect light return or not.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I hope this video can be accessed. What a spirit!

Thank you for sharing this video with us. Several years ago, at the last JCK show I attended until this year, I had the pleasure of waiting near Mr. Tolkowsky’s booth until he was not talking with anyone and then went up and introduced myself. We spoke for only four or five minutes before I excused myself to allow those who came after me to speak with the Master. During the whole time, it was apparent how much he loved his work.

I mentioned to an associate how much I had enjoyed meeting Mr. Tolkowsky. He made a dismisssive comment about how, “Gaby never met a diamond he did not love.”

While my associate felt that was a fault, it was exactly that quality that made me feel special when I was with Mr. Tolkowsky. He was, as Garry and others have said, larger than life. Most importantly to many of us, he freely shared that largeness for anyone willing to listen and enjoy what he enjoyed.

I sincerely offer my condolences to his family and friends. More, I hope his son Jean Paul will continue in his footsteps and offer his own continuing contributions to the family legacy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results