shape
carat
color
clarity

G VS1 vs. Larger H VS2

waltroger

Rough_Rock
I know this topic has been covered over and over, but here is my situation. I am trying to decide to between size vs. quality. Budget for diamond is 15K-20K. Following GIA class 1 cut guidelines (53-57.5 table, 34-35 crown, 59-63 depth, etc.) it looks like I can buy about a 1.5ct G VS1 within my price range. I plan to set in a platinum engraved band with no side stones. I always prefer better quality over quantity in most things, but if the naked eye cannot tell the difference, should I drop to an H VS2 and go a little bigger? I want everyone to look at the stone and go WOW, but I don't know which way will likely achieve that impact better. I am using an online dealer that likely does not have stones on hand, so I have to rely on grading reports and your advise. Opinions?

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I doubt anyone would notice the difference between a VS1 G and a VS2 H.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it all depends on whether she would love size over color and clarity or not. I have a G VS1 at the moment and I do prefer that in a round brilliant. However, I think H VS2 is totally fine for someone who would rather have a larger stone and isn't really aware of diamond color. There isn't a lot of difference.

GoCubsGo25

Rough_Rock
I would go with the larger H VS2...but I also went with a J SI1 to get over the 2ct mark. My J SI1 is completely eye clean and faces up very white. I personally don't think there is much differance between a G or an H...as long as you can get a completely eye clean VS2, I would go with the larger H VS2.

Good luck with your diamond search!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
How much bigger are we talking about?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I too would like to know the size difference you might be able to buy by going with H VS2.

BTW VS2 or even SI1 are totally fine clarities. VS2 especially is for many people a totally "mind clean" clarity that you are highly highly unlikely to ever be able to see any inclusions in the stone.

waltroger

Rough_Rock
GreenBling|1347891732|3269582 said:
How much bigger are we talking about?

Maybe up to .3ct larger; something in the 1.7-1.8ct range instead of the 1.4-1.5ct range.

waltroger

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347890993|3269577 said:
I think it all depends on whether she would love size over color and clarity or not. I have a G VS1 at the moment and I do prefer that in a round brilliant. However, I think H VS2 is totally fine for someone who would rather have a larger stone and isn't really aware of diamond color. There isn't a lot of difference.

I guess thats what I don't know; would a little more size (easily seen) create more impact that color/clarity (possible harder to see); however, I am picky, so maybe that answers my own question...

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
H for me then!

In fact, I would explore the SI option too ;-)

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm, well, bigger why not? That mm size will make a difference. If the inclusions are prongable and the cut is great, I think you'll be good to go. :wavey:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you'd be fine with a GVS1 or and HVS2. You just don't want to settle on the cut! Are you working with a particular vendor or planning to buy local?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sure the H VS2. It will look sooo similar to the G VS1, but it will be larger. It's not like we're comparing a K SI2 to a G VS1. I wouldn't even hesitate. H VS2 is not 'lesser quality.'

maiell1

Rough_Rock
As long as cut is the same you'll be fine. I was in a similar situation but did go with G VS1 as I as buying on cert from overseas I felt safer with G as H may be slightly variable. Also, in a larger stone colour can show up more as well especially against a shiny platinum, Though I am sure all will be OK, I got a 1.4 CT and everyone thinks the stone is a monster on my fiance's finger as she is a size 5.25. Go with your feel as they all say the size will be noticeable and he other factor likely not.

waltroger

Rough_Rock
Everyone, thank you for the help. FYI the final choice was a 1.6ct F VS2 GIA xxx, scoring 1 on the HCA. I could have went up to 1.75ct and G, but I didn't like the Inclusion plots or HCA scores of any stones that size, price, color, clarity, etc.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, based off those 3 parameters and the HCA score, I can only imagine how nice that stone will look!

waltroger

Rough_Rock
TitanCi|1348689041|3275081 said:
Wow, based off those 3 parameters and the HCA score, I can only imagine how nice that stone will look!

Thank you! I know, I am super excited to see it. I actually thought the price/ct (just under 13K/ct.) was a little high for VS2, but I supposed they charged a premium due to the great cut.

The deciding factor was watching some videos of the different color grades and I just felt that going to F was better than going larger, especially since I don't think you can tell much difference between 1.6ct and what I would have went to, 1.75ct. Although saying 1-3/4 carats would have been nicer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results