shape
carat
color
clarity

G SI1 vs. H VS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
My GF and I had "the talk" that should proceed "the question" this weekend so my diamond search is getting to the serious stage, so .....

Help! I''ve read a lot of threads trying to educate myself and I''m still confused as to whether to stick with VS2 or go down to SI1. I guess that if the diamond is an eyeclean SI1 then maybe it isn''t worth paying the premium for a VS2. What do you think?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''d personally agree with you; in fact, I don''t like to go above SI stones for that very reason.

However, it all depends on what each buyer values. Some folks like the VS designation and are willing to pay more for it. There is no ''right or wrong'' that applies unilaterally. What''s right means what''s right for you.

Since it sounds like you''re happy with an eyeclean SI1, I''d certainly pursue that.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Allison. And I''ll just throw in, make sure your definition of eyeclean is made known to the vendor. If you not only don''t want to see anything face up, but also from all sides at any distance, make sure to tell them that. And they do exist! But, please don''t go by the plot charts, you simply can''t tell. It''s a stone by stone basis.
28.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting for you!
36.gif

We went with VS2, as I was nervous about the stone being definitely eye clean.

Now I know we would have been OK to go down to an SI1, as long as I knew it was eye clean. When we upgrade, I will almost certainly look for an SI1 stone, to get more size for the money.

I would rather sacrifice a clarity grade, and go down from a VS2 to an eye clean SI1 - as I can''t see the difference between the two - and have a larger, or whiter stone.

It sounds as if you are agreeing with this too - so I''d probably look for eye clean SI1s if I were you. :)

x x x

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the SI1 is eyeclean then I''d probably go with that one.

dmus

Shiny_Rock
I got a RB G SI1 eye clean and am very happy. I agree with everything being said here. But would add the cut is most important! Make sure the cut is a top AGS or GIA cert with great brilliance and you can''t go wrong. I like the G color because the stone looks like a piece of ice. However, I''m not that experienced and an H might be great also.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Are you going to be buying from a place like Whiteflash or Good Old Gold where you will get top cut (the most important "C")?

They are trusted vendors here with good repuations, so you could easily get an eyeclean SI1. I have an eyeclean SI2 from GOG (initially I thought I would not go below VS2, but I dropped the clarity to get a slightly larger diamond- I had also thought I would get a G, maybe an H... I ended up getting an F but would have been fine with a G).

Though, WF or GOG's H diamonds are gorgeous... not like the yellow "H" that you'll find at the mall. You could search through the videos on GOG of H color diamonds and see if they look white enough for you... if you aren't sure, I would go with the G.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I helped my brother buy an H SI1 from Whiteflash.

I am super-picky have 20/20 vision and notice things most other people wouldn''t.

I asked WF to check that it was eyeclean and when it arrived I couldn''t see a thing. It''s quite hard to find the inclusions even with a loupe due to their placing. I can see them quite easily from the side, but most other people who''ve looked at it can''t see them at all.

The cut was exceptionally good - and it scored a 0.3 on the HCA. I also think it faces up a lot whiter than an H.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally don''t mind an SI1 because I can''t see the inclusions. Go with whatever you feel comfortable about.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as the SI1 is completely eye clean, but the stone that is cheaper. You won''t see much of a difference between the two stones assuming they are both well-cut.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
I had the same choice and went with G SI1....and was very hapy with that decision. The SI1 stone is completely eye clean and color is super white. I bought from Whiteflash.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
hi you got many reponses already but i''ll chime in as well, G/SI1 would be my choice, as long as it''s eyeclean

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for *eyeclean* Si1 (but, as said earlier, depending on whether you''re an eagle eye or not, ur definition of eyeclean will be diff to others - just make sure the vendors you contact are aware of where u stand with this).
5.gif

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the advice as well as the good wishes. I am definitely going to go with WF or GOG based on the recommendations here. If I can find an eyeclean SI1 from all angles, I''ll probably choose that. After all, my eyes are so bad I''d probably need an electron microscope to find an inclusion.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 9:08:42 AM
Author: Gr8fulDave
Thanks to everyone for the advice as well as the good wishes. I am definitely going to go with WF or GOG based on the recommendations here. If I can find an eyeclean SI1 from all angles, I''ll probably choose that. After all, my eyes are so bad I''d probably need an electron microscope to find an inclusion.
9.gif
I too with go with a G SI1 if it was eyeclean. Can''t wait to see the one you choose!!
36.gif

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 12:05:29 PM
Author: Cleo
How exciting for you!
36.gif

We went with VS2, as I was nervous about the stone being definitely eye clean.

Now I know we would have been OK to go down to an SI1, as long as I knew it was eye clean. When we upgrade, I will almost certainly look for an SI1 stone, to get more size for the money.

I would rather sacrifice a clarity grade, and go down from a VS2 to an eye clean SI1 - as I can''t see the difference between the two - and have a larger, or whiter stone.

It sounds as if you are agreeing with this too - so I''d probably look for eye clean SI1s if I were you. :)

x x x

Thank you for the congratulations. This will be my second time down the block but I didn''t have to look for a diamond the first time as I used my grandmother''s ER. It was a lot easier that way and I just let my now ex choose the setting.

Angeleyez

Rough_Rock
I got engaged last month and both my fiance and myself were adament that we wanted a VS clarity or higher when we started looking. However through much research and browsing through these forums, we started to consider going down to an SI1 as long as it was eye clean. As we were purchasing our stone online I was a little conserned about an SI1 clarity, however I had gone into a few B&M stores and had the sales associate show me different stones with different clairties. For the most part it was difficult to spot most of the inclusions with the naked eye. I do realize that all SI1''s are not created equally, however we made it clear to Judah at Excel that we wanted an eye clean stone, which he assured us it was.

I couldn''t be happier with my stone and my ring! Even with the loupe and knowing exactly where the inclusion is I have trouble spotting it.

It''s true what they say that cut is the most important "C", as long as you have an excellent cut and an eye clean stone I''m sure you will both be happy. This way you can go with either a better colour or larger stone for your money.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Yesterday I saw a stone that was easily a G and they said it was SI1 or 2 BUT I saw two black blobs right on the table w/o loupe!!!

I vote eye clean with higher color and see it for yourself!
4.gif

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
H, SI2 here and we couldn''t be happier. Great SIs are out there, it just takes patience.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results