shape
carat
color
clarity

Funny - Toddlers with Picky Eating Habits

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! The captions are hilarious. Did you read the comments? So funny. People get so worked up over these things, which just fascinates me.

I thought mine was picky for only eating tomatoes and peas she picked outside herself. I have never had to scrape toast, pick off breading, remove green bean seeds, or any other super tedious food-related activity. I did break a granola bar in half once and you'd have thought I broke her favorite toy or something. Sheesh, they are so touchy! :lol:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
This is great! B went through a stage where he wouldn't eat a banana if it was out of the peel. Or grapes if they were detached from the stem (vine?). Or, and if he's eating chips, they MUST be flat. If they are at all folded or have bubbles, he won't eat them.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for posting this JGator, it's hilarious! Quite timely as I feel I'm always sooking on the 12-36 month thread about Oscar and his up and down phases with food. He also adores corn on the cob, but loose kernels? Not a chance! And he will happily sit and eat his cereal for breakfast, provided that he can eat it with the spoon I happen to be using at the time :rodent:

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Some of K's food stories. She likes her food in bowls. Separate bowls. Nothing can touch. Sometimes she needs two bowls for 1 item to move food back and forth. She won't eat mac n cheese or spaghetti. She did eat the noodles in pho soup yesterday. The last time we had pho soup, she ate the meatballs we got her. Yesterday, she wouldn't touch them, but did slurp the broth with the spoon and ate a few noodles. For breakfast, she goes on kicks. Like for a while it was yogurt, then eggs for a week, now she doesn't want anything or maybe dry cereal or a granola bar. She likes rice. Fruit is usually a hit. Cheese usually not - but once in awhle, she will eat it. Oh, and now she likes Candy after Halloween - begs for it all the time!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, the little monkey! Oscar's latest one is that he will only eat a banana if he gets to peel it himself, if it's a firm banana where the peel doesn't easily come away, I have to pry it from his tiny, stubborn fist to help him. Toddlers! :rolleyes:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New one today: I was eating chips and salsa this afternoon and the chips were those Scoops kind. Alex says they're "stars." Great! Glad you are associating shape names with things. She asked for a chip and I gave her one that wasn't quite intact. "no, I want a STAR." She proceeded to dig through my plate of chips and pick out all the intact "stars." :rolleyes: :((

Sometimes I just give up. :???: She used to eat busted chips, no problem.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Ha, these are funny! We're lucky that our kid will eat most things, but he is starting to develop a few habits that drive me crazy. Everything must have a "sauce." Granch (ranch), keshup (ketchup), saucey (salsa or marinara), dwessing (salad dressing). I have to wrack my brain before every meal to think of "sauce" if it doesn't naturally have one. And everything must be dipped, even if it is an entirely inappropriate combination, such as fruit in "granch." He also sometimes gets irrate if he perceives something as "broken," and demands that I fix it. This happens if I break or cut something into smaller pieces instead of giving him "a big one" or a sandwich that falls apart.

Also, if he tastes anything with a strong or unfamiliar flavor, it's too "spicy" (even if it is not in the least bit spicey). Meals are such an adventure these days!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My kid can be picky, though she will eat anything that falls into the "carb" category (apparently this is genetic as I suffer the same condition). She's also a big fan of sauces that she dips anything she's eating into. I used to try to think of a sauce that would go with her food, but my husband just gives her YR Sauce with everything. I personally think YR Sauce is truly awful, but K will dip anything in it and say "yummy!". Whatever, kid, just keep eating.

We'd never really given K candy, but this halloween she ate some. That was a mistake. I usually give her a couple of options for dinner (if I'm not making a family meal). So I'll say "Katie, do you want a grilled cheese or a leftover turkey burger?" and she'll say "Ummmmm, candy, please". Every single night I tell her candy is not an option, but she is not deterred.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
NEL, K never had candy either, but this year she went trick or treating, and I let her have a mini crunch bar that night. I tried to hide it, but she remembered and was looking for it the next AM. My new strategy is using it to bribe her for naps, and it is working. She gets a mini bag of m&ms if she sleeps in her crib at naptime. I also told her if she goes in the potty, she can have candy. But, that only worked one day so she isn't getting too much candy! She does ask for candy all the time, though. My kid won't touch sauces or condiments! That's funny about K and Ev liking their sauces.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
After trick or treating, once everyone goes to sleep, DH and I go through the kids candy and throw away all the candy that is age inappropriate (jawbreakers, gum, etc.) and anything with peanuts (DD#2 has a peanut allergy), we then reduce the remaining candy in the bucket to about 10 pieces per kid. We then add a small gift from the Halloween Fairy/Switch Witch to the bucket in place of the candy that she took. The gifts are usually a coloring book and a Halloween themed water bottle with a cool straw/drinking mechanism. The kids are excited to see what they got and don't even miss the extra candy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results