shape
carat
color
clarity

Fully or half drilled pearls for drop earrings?

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dear Pearl-Lovers,

I just wanted to get some opinions: do you prefer fully or half drilled pearls for drop earrings?
Is there a big advantage to either of them except for the aesthetic difference?

I have some special 8mm pearls on the way, I requested fully drilled, because I *think* I like the look of a little gold accent below the pearl. But part of me feels sorry for those gorgeous pearls to be drilled all the way.

Another question: my earlobe was pierced unprofessionally and is somewhat tilted downwards on the outside. This is why I prefer earrings that hide the pierced hole.

I love this style here...
https://mexican-pearls.myshopify.co...14k-con-perlas-mexicanas?variant=878348730393

... but I cannot seem to find findings like this (especially as I'd love rose gold)

Thank you all!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found some mountings on Rio Grande but not in rose gold, nor did I find them on Stuller. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Personally for earrings I prefer half drilled, but I do have some earrings that I made for myself using fully drilled pearls.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer half drilled as I like the look better.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like both but given the choice, I’d choose half drilled as well.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Half drilled every time. Although looking closely at St Edwards Crown and the Imperial State Crown in a recent documentary about the UK Crown Jewels those pearls are mostly full drilled. I was surprised that they were set this way. I suppose, on reflection that they are very old British natural pearls and the only way to set them safely was to full drill and set with a pin. No sufficiently good glues back in C17 state crown.jpg
I loved the part where HM Queen poked the four dangling big drop pearls in the middle of the crown and said that they looked tired and clearly needed to be worn. (two of the four reputed to be earrings belonging to Queen Elizabeth 1)

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone!
Pearlescence, I especially love your historic example. I think this is the gist of why I feel so drawn to fully drilled, it's so archaic to me.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's just a matter of personal taste. I prefer half drilled as I like to see the bottom. But full drilled, especially with a decorative pin bottom would be lovely too.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never really given it much thought but are half drilled pearls earrings less secure than full drilled, since they're only relying on glue? (I didn't realize they used glue on the pearls..)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
With modern glue technology very safe, so long as the right glue is used. If you use full drilled it can look a bit beader-y (I said can, not always though)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I normally would say half drilled but I recently fell in love with this style of earring from Kamoka.

FC98E9A1-AF0C-4910-B762-A3F8F1680C74.jpeg AB25A4BD-D71C-4B69-ACBB-A09645C19D0D.jpeg 7A13D0D5-E0A0-4D12-A39C-C73D4FE79417.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never really given it much thought but are half drilled pearls earrings less secure than full drilled, since they're only relying on glue? (I didn't realize they used glue on the pearls..)

If they are glued properly they should be safe.

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I normally would say half drilled but I recently fell in love with this style of earring from Kamoka.

FC98E9A1-AF0C-4910-B762-A3F8F1680C74.jpeg AB25A4BD-D71C-4B69-ACBB-A09645C19D0D.jpeg 7A13D0D5-E0A0-4D12-A39C-C73D4FE79417.jpeg

Oh my goodness! These are gorgeous! I was also tossing around the idea of tiny briolettes dangling below my round pearls...

in-the-air

Rough_Rock
Premium
I like half drilled better.

cats_sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
BEFFB87E-39C3-4571-806E-7177ECED4782.jpeg Mine are half drilled and i love them

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I far prefer half drilled. Fully drilled always makes me feel like they are the left over pearls from a necklace ... But if the pearls were very large and dangling I might consider fully drilled just to be safe. I agree it's a matter of personal taste.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results