shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrated photography - pink and green velvet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three rich vivid neon pink tourmalines from Nigeria. One has silk in it, the other two are transparent, but have some needles, and all three are precision cut. They also have a lot of blue flash, and do not shift color at all. I also have a Muzo emerald that, although it's fracture filled, it is transparant, and a deep velvety bluish green. They are so much nicer in person, and this emerald is so beautiful, but the photos are just awful. Well I tried. You can see a glimer of blue flash from the emerald, but it's nothing in comparison to real life.

The two rounds are 1.5 and 2.5 carats, and the pink octagon is 4.5 carats. I do not remember the exact carat weight of the emerald, but I think around 2 carats.

I have to figure out what to do with them. I love Megeve's stacking pink and green combo, and I would love to combine them somehow.

TLredgreenvelvet.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue flash in the tourmaline. The emerald looks terrible in this photo. It looks about a googleplex times better than this picture.
29.gif

This emerald is, without a doubt, by far, the most difficult stone I've ever photographed. It comes least close to reality.

TLdetailrube.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From super far away and fuzzy. Maybe, just maybe, you can see a glimpse of the velvety green I see, but it just doesn''t cut it for the photo.

TLstonesfarfaraway.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Nice pic TL. As long as you are in the mood for pics. How about one with the new spinel between those tourmalines?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:13:02 PM
Author: colormyworld
Nice pic TL. As long as you are in the mood for pics. How about one with the new spinel between those tourmalines?
CMW,
I actually set the spinel, but I don''t like it in the setting, so I have to remove the stone. Once I unset it, I''ll do a photo shoot.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Aww come on just a little tease.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up close and personal. The pinks are so vivid, that this photo is so disappointing. You can catch some blue flash in the octagon though. All three pinks have blue in them.

TLrubeemeraldupclose.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:17:35 PM
Aww come on just a little tease.
I don''t want PS''ers to cringe when they see the ring.
14.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you get your light down a little farther, you may be able to get some light return out of the emerald. Try a pic with the light hitting the stone from right over your head.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I think these are too large for stackers.
25.gif
I like the 2.5 ct pink tourmaline; nice and bright with good saturation. Any idea if they've been heated/nuked? Do you wear pendants? It's a good way to combine stones in a single setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono. Actually the little round is the as saturated as the big round, but it's transparent. I think the silk in the bigger round is making it glow more, hence looking more saturated.

They don't look heated/nuked, because I heard that those can be very flat in color, and these have needles and silk. The suppliers told me that they got the rough and cut it, and typically the stones are heated/nuked after cutting.

I don't wear pendants.
8.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:23:12 PM
I think if you get your light down a little farther, you may be able to get some light return out of the emerald. Try a pic with the light hitting the stone from right over your head.
Oh, I did that once, didn''t work at all.
5.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i dont see any blue flash on my calibrated monitor.
but perhaps its difficult to capture the blue flash on a still image .

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmalines look very good on my monitor. Emerald looks blue, but it is not surprizing - our cameras seem color-blind when it comes to green.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I circled the blue flash.

TLblueflash.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:54:53 PM
Author: crasru
Tourmalines look very good on my monitor. Emerald looks blue, but it is not surprizing - our cameras seem color-blind when it comes to green.
As difficult as it is for me to photograph my tsavorite, this emerald is 100 times more difficult. I think because it''s a velvety stone. At least the tsavorite sparkles so you can see hints of something special, but the emerald just goes dead. It''s a very deep deep green with blue. I don''t have anything more green in my collection, including my tsavorite.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
TL, what camera are you using?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nikon Coolpix S220

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:51:08 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
i dont see any blue flash on my calibrated monitor.
but perhaps its difficult to capture the blue flash on a still image .
Mark,
It looks violetish/dark lavender to me, but pretty flash nonetheless.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are correct Chrono, it''s a violet/lavender flash. I call it blue - LOL!

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
the blue that you see are chromatic aberration...you might need to search on the subject and then take some pics...check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Meher

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 11:51:12 PM
Author: Meher Thakker
the blue that you see are chromatic aberration...you might need to search on the subject and then take some pics...check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Meher
No, the blue flashes are actually there due to the way light is split at the back of the facets, and the fact that there is a lavender secondary in the pink color. I've actually asked some gemologists about this. This is caused by bifringence and dichroism according to the gemological experts I asked.

What I want to know is not what is causing the blue flashes, because those are true to life (I see them IRL), but why can't my camera photograph green well, or other colors. Why can it photograph some colors great, like orange, but it stinks when it comes to other colors?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a screen shot of a high def video on youtube that I took of a pink tourmaline. I don't think I'm allowed to post links to youtube, but in it, you can see some violet in the tourmaline. This stone looks identical in color to mine, but you cannot tell from my photos.

pinkpurpletourm.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Well, fuzzy or not, the color of the tourms in the first pic is pretty amazing! I''ve taken thousands of gem photos in the past few months, so I know how difficult and frustrating it can be when the pics don''t show what you see in person. What kind of light did you use in your photos?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 7:16:45 AM
Author: cellentani
Well, fuzzy or not, the color of the tourms in the first pic is pretty amazing! I''ve taken thousands of gem photos in the past few months, so I know how difficult and frustrating it can be when the pics don''t show what you see in person. What kind of light did you use in your photos?
Cellentani,
Thank you. Your pics are just incredible. I am so envious!!
11.gif

I used my kitchen halogens in the evening. I love that lighting for my favorite tourmalines, but I love sunlight too. Unfortunately, it''s never sunny here, or it''s been too cold to go out in the sun to take pics.
8.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
They''re nice stones from what I can tell.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 12:00:39 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/26/2010 11:51:12 PM
Author: Meher Thakker

Meher
No, the blue flashes are actually there due to the way light is split at the back of the facets, and the fact that there is a lavender secondary in the pink color. I''ve actually asked some gemologists about this. This is caused by bifringence and dichroism according to the gemological experts I asked.

What I want to know is not what is causing the blue flashes, because those are true to life (I see them IRL), but why can''t my camera photograph green well, or other colors. Why can it photograph some colors great, like orange, but it stinks when it comes to other colors?
The easy answer is the camera''s sensor. Trust me, they''re not all created equal!

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any point and shoots with a good sensor? I do not want an SLR.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m watching this with abated breath as I am looking for a good point and shoot with very good sensor (without having to go to the fancy SLR and various lenses).

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
We have 2 Canon Powershots, and I've been beyond pleased. The majority of my photos are taken with the older SD1000, but we also have the SD1200 with Image Stabilization (which mine lacks), but they pretty much have the same features. I'm able to adjust the ISO, white balance (there's auto-adjust, pre-set adjustments depending on the light source, and custom), and positive/negative exposure compensation, just to name a few. The only other camera I've tried was a Sony (no contest), so I can't really offer any comparisons. I'm a stickler for color accuracy (not just enhancement), so I do use those features all the time. For shooting gemstones, you will definitely need to make adjustments, and there's no one-setting-fits-all, but it's a nice size and easier than a DSLR.

ETA: Here's a link to a fairly technical, but easy to understand review on the Canon SD1000 features (including the sensor), but you should be able to search for your own camera model as well: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD1000/SD1000A5.HTM

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results