shape
carat
color
clarity

Front-loading washers/dryers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Just thought I'd share my recent experience with front-loading washers and dryers, since we just replaced our washer/dryer this week ... so now my clothes can sparkle as much as my diamond! (LOL!)

Last week, we purchased the latest top-of-the-line front-loading washer from GE (model 6240, I believe - - see link below). The new machines are very energy-efficienty, and it took a little getting used to using so much less detergent, and waiting-out much longer wash cycles, but the clothes come out unbelievably clean, soft and fluffy ...

However, we had a problem with the large gasket on the washer which forms a seal between the glass door and the wash basin (water would leak ... I'd have to keep a towel with me when unloading clothes into the dryer just to mop-up the water) ... Since we were within 7 days of our original purchase, we had no problem exchanging the GE washer/dryer for a similar front-loading set by Bosch ... it's scheduled to arrive today (yes, on Sunday!) sometime before Noon ...

I thought I'd share my experience with the GE front-loading model because they are apparently brand-new and have no track record yet. We completed both purchases through Lowe's and found the prices and service to be great ...

Here's the GE front-loading washer that we purchased originally: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=231402-83-WBVH6240FWW&lpage=none

And, here's the Bosch washer that's arriving today in-exchange: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=14646-39047-WFMC3200UC&lpage=none

The GE dryer works great but we're exchanging that too since we'd like a matched set.

OH ,,, and IMHO, the pedestal storage drawers that are sold separately with these front-loading washers are a waste of money ... my ever-practical husband felt we would be much better off adding the cost of the pedestals ($300 - $400 depending on the model) to the cost of the washer/dryer to get a better-quality machine.

So, if any of you are in the market for a new washer/dryer, I hope this information helps.
4.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad the exchange is coming asap! Laundry piles up around here fast!

I''d just started to hear some bad stuff about those very popular GE front loaders ... interesting about the leak!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the problem with the GE. I have heard nothing but great things about Bosch appliances. I keep hoping my dishwasher will die so I can finally get the super quiet Bosch!!
11.gif

Last month we decided to purchase front loaders as our washer and dryer were 16 years old certainly not as efficient as the new models. We ended up going with the LG brand and have had no problems. We also opted out of the pedestals. Just couldn''t justify the cost for a drawer.

Let us know how the Bosch set performs.
Libby

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Bosch has an excellent reputation so hopefully you will have better luck this time. There is nothing worse than being without a washer! We have the Kenmore Elite (made by Whirlpool) front loaders and love them!!! I also splurged for the matching pedestals because it makes it easier on your back.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
The Kenmore Elite front-load washers were rated highest by Consumer Reports ... Bosch was right up there, however (3rd, I believe).

Interesting that another PS''er heard some negatives about the GE front-loading washers ... They''re too new to have been rated by Consumer Reports. We also looked at the Whirlpool and Frigidaire models, but both had a catch on the front door (similar to a microwave door) that seemed like it would wear-out over time.

I''ll post again once our new Bosch set has been installed and tested ...

In the meantime, I''m with Libby ... I was also looking at the super-quiet Bosch dishwashers and would love to have one if my existing dishwasher ever dies ... not as exciting as diamonds but still "fun" purchases ... :)

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
thank you thank you browneyes! my very soon-to-be and i are in the market for a washer dryer and he just finished giving me a mini presentation on why front loading washers are more efficient than top loading one in terms if physics (engineers
20.gif
) but we haven''t figuredout what model/brand to go with yet. i was just getting ready to start a new thread here asking for recommendations. i''ll be following this thread closely! can''t wait to hear how the Bosch performs.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
OK Ginger, here are my preliminary thoughts on the Bosch front-load washer/dryer after only 1 day of use, and based on my advantage of having used both the GE front-load and the Bosch for a short time:

Bosch vs. GE front-load washers:

PROS:
The Bosch washer is super-easy to load ... I love how the stainless steel wash basin tips back, so the wet clothes don''t come tumbling out when unloading ... IMO, this was a problem with the GE washer design - - the stainless steel basin wasn''t tipped at all, and the wet clean clothes invariably landed on the floor as a result ...
8.gif

The GE washer was moderately quiet, and as you know, we had a problem with water pooling onto the front gasket, which caused the GE gasket to turn yellow and start to sag after less than a week of use.
8.gif

The Bosch machine is VERY quiet, and I like the way the front gasket is designed ... there''s no opportunity for water to ''pool'' onto the gasket at the end of a wash, and this hasn''t been a problem at all ...
1.gif

CONS: The Bosch washer does not offer as many wash cycles ... at first I thought this was OK because GE''s offerings were excessive (something like 24 wash cycles on the GE versus about 15 on the Bosch, but see links above for more accuracy). However, for some reason, the wash cycles on all of the front load machines are VERY long ... like an hour or more!

The GE washer offered a ''speed cycle'' that my housekeeper and I wound-up using a lot, ''cause we can''t always wait that long to wash/dry clothes, and it was driving my housekeeper nuts. The Bosch does not appear to offer a ''speed cycle'', and this may be a problem for us ...
40.gif

ALSO, the Bosch machine does not offer a separate ''knits'' cycle (GE did), but it seems that the ''delicate'' cycle can be used for knits.
37.gif

The Bosch washer has an amazing spin cycle - the clothes come out much less wet than they did with the GE machine.

The GE front-load had this delayed start thing that I also didn''t like, and that you couldn''t opt-out of ... if you''re like me and my housekeeper and like to know that the washload has begun before leaving the laundry area, we found ourselves standing around for a few minutes waiting for the GE wash to begin ... my daughter said it was like being in an airplane when they announce "the cabin doors are locked and we''re ready for take-off" only the plane doesn''t take off right away ... the GE washer door would click to indicate it was locked, but the wash didn''t begin for several minutes.
24.gif

Delayed-start is not a problem with the Bosch and the wash-cycle begins almost immediately after the front door is locked ...
36.gif

I like the positioning and style of the knobs and buttons on the Bosch much better than the GE ... after a week of using the GE (which relies heavily on LCD lighting as do most other models), I was convinced that the LCD lights and/or knobs would wear-out fairly quickly with continued use.

PLUS, the buttons on the GE were on the front of the machine, and a couple of times I just leaned on the machine and accidentally changed the settings. With the Bosch, the buttons and knobs are placed on-top of the machine, in such a way that they won''t be affected even if you place a basket on-top, so it''s a lot more difficult to accidentally change the settings.

Bosch vs. GE front-load dryers:

I must say that in spite of the buttons/knobs thing, I liked the GE dryer and only exchanged it ''cause we wanted a matching set, and also, because most of these washer/dryer sets have wash/dry cycles that are timed to each other.

The Bosch front-load dryer (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=14261-39047-WTMC6300US&lpage=none) does not have a glass door. IMO, this is a positive, since with the GE model, we found that lint from the clothes tended to build-up on the inside of the GE glass door, and we were constantly wiping it down.

But again, even though the Bosch dryer seems to get nice and hot and it offers this great looking stainless steel basin, the Bosch drying cycles are still ridiculously long.
24.gif
If I use the shortest (i.e., 20 minute) timed cycle for even a small-medium sized load, the clothes aren''t fully dry the first time around -- especially around the waistbands of denim or other heavier pants. This is frustrating!

However, when the clothes are dry, they''re virtually wrinkle-free and (I believe due to using less water and less detergent), they seem to be SO much cleaner and fresher than with my old Maytag Neptune top-load washer ...
36.gif

I have to study the User Manuals for both the Bosch washer and dryer to see if I can come up with a "speed cycle" for the wash, and a shorter, more efficient drying time for the dryer. Overall, however, and based on the features described above, I like the Bosch washer/dryer set a lot -- the washer and dryer seem to be very well-made, and if we can figure out how to use a ''speed cycle'', I think this set will be a big improvement over the GE.

Finally, while Lowe''s Service Center was very helpful (but remember, there''s little to no track record for the newer GE front-loading machines), GE''s Customer Service was AWFUL ... terribly long waiting time and their response to the issue of the sagging/yellowed gasket was: "You''re probably going to have to replace that with time". Can you imagine - on a $900+ washing machine!

Sorry this turned into such a saga. I''ll post again after continued use but in the meantime, I hope this helps ...

BrownEyes
4.gif

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Hi and good luck with your new new washer. Seeing your problem with the GE, I wonder if front loaders are inherently difficult to manufacture correctly. There is a thread floating around somewhere about front loaders and in it, both Diamondlil and I tell our own sagas of ghastly problems with Maytag Neptunes (purchased back when they were pretty much the only game in town and very highly touted). Apparently lots of other people have issues as well with Maytag front loaders and there is a pending class action law suit... Thankfully you had a good experience with Lowes and were able to exchange your machine before things got worse. Happy washing to you!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I posted to the other thread a while ago, too, but I''m now over a year with my Whirlpool Duet Front-loading machines, and I couldn''t be happier with their performance.

Some folks complained of a "musty" smell with front-loaders; I haven''t run into that at all.

I''m still as thrilled with these as I was when we got them. I can crank out 3-4 loads of wash on a Sunday morning no problem.

I highly, highly recommend them.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Not to be a party pooper...but I hope you have better luck with Bosch then my husband did. He had them in his first marriage and they were nothing but a pain. They started out working fantastic (less water, less soap, fluffy clothes etc.) but then developed problems 2-3 years into their stay (right about the time the warrenty expired). At one point, the gasket on the washer failed...he had thrown in a load before work and got home to find the entire laundry room...and room below it wet from water. The repair costs quickly outpaced what he paid for them. My husband will not even remotely consider the front loaders now after this experience. Now, he did buy his Bosch set about 8 years ago so hopefully they have improved things. You might want to consider springing for the extended warranty.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
AHA ... the Whirlpool duet front-load has the 25 minute "quick wash" cycle I am looking for. Apparently my new Bosch machine doesn''t have it, although the website talks about an "energy saver" cycle that I have yet to find.

I love other things about this Bosch washer/dryer but the super-long wash and dry cycles are going to drive me crazy!

I am home from work this morning ''cause my kids have doctor/dentist appointments scheduled - - my youngest son had a nosebleed last night so I am washing his sheets right now ... the timed cycle on my new machine for a hot temperature wash with bleach added is 160 minutes long! Needless to say, the sheets won''t be going into the dryer before I get home later this afternoon ... UGH!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
A solution and a happy ending:

After spending hours this morning on laundry, I did some on-line research on the Bosch line of washers and dryers ... it turns-out that the Nexxt line which is in-stock at Lowe''s is sort of the ''basic'' Bosch option, although it''s a quality-built machine and is loaded with nice features.

The ''upgrade'' would be to the Nexxt Premium line (Washer Model #WFMC6400UC), which includes both Pre-Soak and Quick Wash cycles in addition to other handy features, for about $200 more. This is not a ''stock'' item at Lowe''s and we weren''t aware of it until I did some on-line research.

I also found a $200 rebate on-line which applies when the Bosch washer/dryer are purchased together.

I called our local Lowe''s to inquire about an upgrade and exchange to the Bosch Premium washer/dryer, and they couldn''t have been nicer about it.

To make a long story short, Lowe''s agreed to allow us to return the Bosch washer/dryer we have currently, and to give us a full refund once both units have been returned back to the store. Tonight, they special-ordered the upgraded version of the Bosch Premium washer/dryer which will be delivered in 2 weeks. The rebate will cover 2/3rds of the price difference (which was about $300 when we upgraded to the Premium dryer as well). There will be no additional delivery/installation charge.

We are super-pleased with Lowe''s (always have been), and are happy to share this information with others who may be looking to purchase front-loading washers/dryers.

The bottom-line: Bosch offers quality-built front-loading washers/dryers with a lot of nice features. In my opinion, the design and material of the Bosch front doors and gasket/seal is superior to that used in other domestic brands. PLUS, the tipped basket makes loading and unloading clothes from the washer so much easier ...

However, it''s important for consumers to know that there are different ''grades'' of Bosch appliances out there, and the in-stock version of Bosch appliances may not be the best one for your needs.

Hope this helps ...
4.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
still love my LG front loaders. i cannot imagine going back to any other. i''m short and found top loaders to be a literal pain in the back. also the quiet factor of a front loader is greatly appreciated!

movie zombie

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock

So, the consensus after reading this thread and the old thread re: front-loading washers is (in no particular order):

Kenmore Elite front-load washer/dryer
Whirlpool Duet front-load washer/dryer
LG front-load washer/dryer
Bosch Nexxt Premium front-load washer/dryer
(a qualified recommendation and subject to connection when appliances arrive).

Thanks for all the input ... I hope this thread helps someone else!
4.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the info brown eyes! i''m fwding all these expereinces to my FI who is trying to do research on this for our purchase!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
The timing of this thread could not better, as FI and I are researching washers and dryers and trying to budget everything, since we will be buying our first house in the next few months. Thanks everyone for your input!

elle

Shiny_Rock
Hi - new to board but just wanted to jump in about some things the Best Buy service gal told me about our LG frontloaders.

I did have a problem with water leaking out of the washer a week after I got and it turns out I was using too much detergent and not the right kind. They reccommend low sudsing HE detergent for front loaders and for a full load (our is the large LG) a max of only 2 tbsp. No wonder dh was complaining he felt itchy. Works great now.

Also front laoders tend to pool water inside. Unless you use it daily, they reccomend that you do a wash of just bleach and hot water once a month. The BB lady told me of a front loader that she serviced - the guy called to complain about a musty smell so she opened it up and there was MOLD growing inside. Ewww...

I don''t know about Bosch but the LG ones have a drain that you shoudl check regularly - that''s where al the coins etc get sieved off after each wash. There''s a pipe to drain the water out and then you open it uip to remove whatever you may find!

Anyway, I love my LGs - from the way my laundry turns out to the sound they make when I turn them on!

Good luck with your new washer/dryer - Lowes sounds like they have awesome customer service!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, the LG manual says to clean that lint filter/drain periodically....i couldn''t figure out why i had a ''strange'' odor in the laundry room. then one day the washer light went on and it gave a code which i dutifully looked up: clean that filter!!! so i did and no more odor and no more problems....i have it on my calendar every few months to do [we both have long hair and we have 7 cats]. much easier to do w/o a full load in the washer, i might add. it pays to read the manual and follow the guidelines. even then i didn''t have water leaking though. i buy my laundry detergent at Trader Joe''s and it takes about a year to go through a box. the amount of detergent needed is minimal....and it certainly uses less water....which is kinder to our septic system.

ii still love my LG''s!!!!

movie zombie

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 11:08:34 AM
Author: BrownEyes
The Kenmore Elite front-load washers were rated highest by Consumer Reports ... Bosch was right up there, however (3rd, I believe).

Interesting that another PS''er heard some negatives about the GE front-loading washers ... They''re too new to have been rated by Consumer Reports. We also looked at the Whirlpool and Frigidaire models, but both had a catch on the front door (similar to a microwave door) that seemed like it would wear-out over time.

I''ll post again once our new Bosch set has been installed and tested ...

In the meantime, I''m with Libby ... I was also looking at the super-quiet Bosch dishwashers and would love to have one if my existing dishwasher ever dies ... not as exciting as diamonds but still ''fun'' purchases ... :)
I also have the Kenmore Elite HE series and have the pedestals. I love them and appreciate the pedestal drawers to hold the box of HE laundry soap, bounce dryer sheets, the iron, etc. The biggest plus of the drawers is how it saves my back. The washer and dryer is such a great investment...I join you fellow PSers on needing and wanting a new dishwasher. I crave the Bosch dishwasher SO much with all the dishes we go through!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
new dishwasher is on the list for this year......

movie zombie

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Kenmore He4T washer is great. No complaints except if you try to add something to a very full load after it starts, it drips water on the floor. Other than that, cleans well, quiet, etc

Just replaced diswasher with a Bosch one with the large handle and hidden controls. Should have done it years ago. Very, very quiet and dishes are much cleaner. Tub is huge.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
which Bosch dishwasher, noobie?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
It's this one

It's really great!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you, noobie! did you consider any others? i wonder why the big price difference between stainless steel and the black.....?

movie zombie

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also going to give a thumbs up to the Kenmore front loading machine (model 417).
The pluses to me is that it seems to be more gentle on my clothes, and the energy/water efficiency. Also, I don''t know if it is because the washer wrings more water out of the clothes, or the dryer is more powerful, the dryer dries the clothes very quickly, 25-30 minutes for large loads.
I also was using too much detergent at first and always running the extra rinse cycle. It is amazing how much less detergent it needs to work, and I guess that''s because it uses less water.
We opted to have them stacked, with no extra pedestal.

One caveat to my praises is that our previous set was I don''t know how many years old, so maybe anything would seem like an improvement!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
MZ,

Looked at Kenmore, Kitchenaid, Whirlpool and Bosch. Don''t like GE since the original one was only five years old and an "upgrade" profile model. It was noisy, left food on the dishes, water pooled in the bottom and the plastic tub stained. Yuck.

The decision to go Bosch was made mostly because of the flexible racks and loading. The large handle (washer is opened and closed many times a day) and the hidden controls (less tempting for little ones) were pluses. It''s so quiet you can barely tell it''s on when you stand next to it.

P.S. The stainless door is only $100 more than black. Is that alot?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We chose an Asko dishwasher in stainless steel with the hidden controls when we upgraded our kitchen last fall and we have really been pleased with it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ll have to look at the website again but i thought the black was considerably more than the stainless....which in hindsight doesn''t seem right. i''ll check again.

movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we got our first f/l w/d when we moved into this place...they are Kenmore from sears, but i dont know what model, they hold something like 12-15 towels, so it's a super capacity but not the extra duper super one i think. they also have the quick washing mode and drying mode at 30 minutes each. they are HE so we use the special detergent and it seems like you do need to use less of it than the old stuff. thank goodness because HE is more expensive!

anyway they were having a big sale when we got ours so they were about a thousand total for both of them, which seemed like a good deal! knock on wood but we have had no problems with them and they work wonderfully. i also get really overwhelmed with too many buttons on the w/d ... my friends have some super expensive whirlpool ones that have like 30 buttons on the front, i mean do you really need all that stuff to just wash some clothes?!?!? so ours have some buttons on the front but maybe only 10 each, and it seems to cover all our bases just fine.

we also weren't sure how long we'd be here so we didn't want to get anything too out of control since when we move we'll leave them here for the next owners...but YES we love f/l and it's sooo much better than the top loading washers, you can put more items in there without it being remotely close to overloading. greg still has a mental block and only uses about 1/2 the space, he's slowly getting better....i think it's from too many years of small apartment w/d's where you can wash like 3 towels and one sheet at a time in the mini ones. hehe.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I just learned today that our upgraded ''replacement'' Bosch F/L washer/dryer set will be delivered from Lowe''s this Friday, March 24th ...

I will post an update once I become an ''expert'' on these new machines, which thankfully have the "quick wash" cycle and a few other features I find necessary ... Still, I love the way the clothes come out in my current Bosch F/L washer/dryer ... it''s just that the cycles are too darn long!

In the meantime, I recently learned that Bosch was bought-out by Siemens ... for BestBuy now carries a whole new line of F/L washers and dryers by Siemens at reasonable prices. BestBuy also carries the L/G Tromm line that someone posted about ...

It''s funny, I never thought about BestBuy for appliances like a washer and dryer ... I only thing of them for television and audio stuff ... Oh well, live & learn ...
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results