shape
carat
color
clarity

From solitaire to three-stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
For those who have made the transition from a solitaire engagement ring to a three-stone setting, do you regret the decision? There were some similar threads asking this question a while ago, but I thought I''d get some updated opinions. The reason I ask is because I am currently in the process of a re-set of my engagement ring, going from a solitaire setting to a three-stone setting. From the beginning of the ring search, I wanted a three-stone engagement ring, but I guess I talked myself into the solitaire thing after waffling for so long and needing to make a decision, and because of budgetary limitations at the time. I really love my current engagement set, but for the last two years I found myself longing for a three-stone setting. So with that we (hubby and I) decided to go ahead and make the change. I have tried on several three stone settings, so I know this style is it for me, but I do wonder....(for those who have made the change) do you ever want to go back to the solitaire????

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Onedrop, I wore my stone as a solitaire for six months before having it reset into a 3-stone. I haven''t regretted the decision once. The ring pops so much more, just because there are 3x the number of facets to reflect....turns it into a sparkle show.

That said, there are times I long for a solitaire. There are times I long for a halo. There are times I long for a huge chunky cushion. I''d also love something set with sapphires. LOL What I''m trying to say......we all lust for variety, and that won''t change with a reset.
1.gif
Lusting for other looks doesn''t mean I''d want to change my setting; it more likely means I wish I could have SEVERAL different rings.

But if I can only have one, I wouldn''t trade my 3-stone. I haven''t regretted my move to a 3-stone in the 4.5 years I''ve had it, and I don''t see that changing.

A bit of comfort for you, though.....if you do move to a 3-stone and then decide to change later, 3-stones make excellent rings to reset a colored center stone into. They are easy to ''recycle'' if you eventually have a change of heart.

Hope that helps.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
First...I have always loved your three stone setting (I keep wanting to call you "alj" LOL)! So glad you responded and you are so right...I could have a new ring for each day of the month with everything I lust after. It's good to know I am not alone! You make a great point about a three-stone setting also being great for a colored center stone should I change my mind yet again and go back to a solitaire. I didn't even think of that, so I am happy you mentioned it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2008 11:05:10 AM
Author: Allison D.
Onedrop, I wore my stone as a solitaire for six months before having it reset into a 3-stone. I haven''t regretted the decision once. The ring pops so much more, just because there are 3x the number of facets to reflect....turns it into a sparkle show.

That said, there are times I long for a solitaire. There are times I long for a halo. There are times I long for a huge chunky cushion. I''d also love something set with sapphires. LOL What I''m trying to say......we all lust for variety, and that won''t change with a reset.
1.gif
Lusting for other looks doesn''t mean I''d want to change my setting; it more likely means I wish I could have SEVERAL different rings.

But if I can only have one, I wouldn''t trade my 3-stone. I haven''t regretted my move to a 3-stone in the 4.5 years I''ve had it, and I don''t see that changing.

A bit of comfort for you, though.....if you do move to a 3-stone and then decide to change later, 3-stones make excellent rings to reset a colored center stone into. They are easy to ''recycle'' if you eventually have a change of heart.

Hope that helps.
I think this says it all for those of us who have opted for three stone. It definitely gives more bling and that''s almost always a good thing! Once you have gone the three stone route, however, it is very difficult to think about going back to a solitaire. They are lovely, classic and sophisticated IMO and I too long for one every so often. I usually go to a jewelry store and try one on and really try to visualize not having the three stones again. I still end up saying nah - I love my three stone setting!

Regrets? No. Not at all!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Allison D. aka *Alj* has the gift of summing things up perfectly!

MissGotRocks: I think you have helped me deal with any future setting-switiching dilemmas. I''ll just go and try on solitiares if I start to miss that look.
2.gif
BTW- love your three-stone as well! Thanks for your input.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 11:17:34 AM
Author: onedrop
First...I have always loved your three stone setting (I keep wanting to call you ''alj'' LOL)! So glad you responded and you are so right...I could have a new ring for each day of the month with everything I lust after. It''s good to know I am not alone! You make a great point about a three-stone setting also being great for a colored center stone should I change my mind yet again and go back to a solitaire. I didn''t even think of that, so I am happy you mentioned it.
Onedrop, by all means, please DO keep calling me Alj! I''m still me, and I''m still Alj to the folks here.
2.gif

It''s still me....just a different role.
2.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Awwwwwwww....thanks, Onedrop!

Now, that aside.......what do you have in mind for a 3-stone setting?
11.gif
31.gif
30.gif

(Pictures are encouraged! )

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I turned my original e-ring into a 3 stone after a little less than a year...then a year later bought another solitaire ring because I missed it. I now alternate wearing them as the mood strikes

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original e-ring was a solitaire. My 10th anniversary ring is a three stone. I now wear my three stone daily and am waiting to reset my pear into a pendant. So no, I do not regret going from a solitaire to a three stone...it provides so much more finger coverage
30.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 1:15:14 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I had a solitaire in an oh so cheap setting I disliked and hubby didn''t realize he was getting..
14.gif
I''ve got a beautiful three stone now.. BUT.. I still constantly look at solitaires here oh so longlingly.. I may someday have that solitaire and just move my current er to my right hand.. who knows.. ?
31.gif
9.gif

OOOH but WHAT A 3-STONE you have, SDL!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 10:46:28 AM
Author:onedrop
For those who have made the transition from a solitaire engagement ring to a three-stone setting, do you regret the decision? There were some similar threads asking this question a while ago, but I thought I''d get some updated opinions. The reason I ask is because I am currently in the process of a re-set of my engagement ring, going from a solitaire setting to a three-stone setting. From the beginning of the ring search, I wanted a three-stone engagement ring, but I guess I talked myself into the solitaire thing after waffling for so long and needing to make a decision, and because of budgetary limitations at the time. I really love my current engagement set, but for the last two years I found myself longing for a three-stone setting. So with that we (hubby and I) decided to go ahead and make the change. I have tried on several three stone settings, so I know this style is it for me, but I do wonder....(for those who have made the change) do you ever want to go back to the solitaire????

Hi Onedrop
35.gif

Here''s a link to a 3-stone thread: FULL of really KOOL pics!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-ring-girls-are-you-out-there.75486/

LS

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 3 stone...so much bling. I don''t miss my solitaire one bit. How about this? Keep the solitaire and get an enhancer with 2 side stones so you can have both on the days you feel like wearing one or the other.
36.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I knew I could count on my fellow PSers to provide feedback and ideas!! Thanks all!

alj: I am really happy to know I can continue calling you Alj! Since you are now posting in a professional capacity, I felt *strange* calling you "alj." However, now that you''ve given the go-ahead, you are still "alj" for me!! Any chance of bringing back the chainsaw avatar?
3.gif
Just kidding!!! As far as the new setting, I am going with something you might be familiar with...the WF W-Prong three-stone setting! Going through past threads of three-stones, trying on various styles, I then remembered Belle''s W-prong from WF, and I knew I''d hit pay dirt! I''ve got another week or two before the mothership lands.

vslover: you''ve shared another great idea! I just might consider that one, thanks for the tip! Wow it didn''t take you long as all to make the switch. Good for you, for making the decision and moving forward. I just wasn''t that decisive. Your avatar proves the power of bling with a three-stone!

diamond*dana: I have been stalking your three-stone e-ring and channel set wedding band combo for weeks trying to get some ideas of what my version might look like. I lurve your set!!!

SDL: I know your three-stone very well also!!! It''s so very beautiful and I find myself going back to look at your thread in SMTR all the time!

Lost Sapphire: Thanks for the link! I am a TRUE PSer ''cause I have that very link already bookmarked.
2.gif
BTW, the setting for your sapphire is gorgeous!

April Baby: Didn''t you start one of those threads about whether or not to go three-stone?? For some reason, I am connecting you with one of those threads. Anyway, I am happy to learn that you are happy with your choice!! I need to go and check out your setting now....LOL

So based on what you ladies have said, it looks like I might be able to have my cake and eat it too so to speak! If I do tire of the three-stone setting I have plenty of outlets to change it up if I want. Thanks again all!!!!
35.gif
And I promise to post pics once the re-set is complete.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t wait to see the pics! Have fun!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results