shape
carat
color
clarity

From Julia Kay Taylor

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Before I post photos of the pieces I received a couple of weeks ago from Julia Kay Taylor, I wanted to say that working with Julia was a complete pleasure. I have never had so little stress attached to having custom jewelry created. Not only is she a sweetheart, but her design aesthetic is always, always spot on. I told her what I like in very general terms (curves vs. straight lines, etc) and she came up with two designs that literally needed not a single tweak. Amazing.

First, the ring. It is 18k yellow gold, with a 2.73ct peachy pink Barry Bridgestock tourmaline. The stone is 8.8mm. Julia said it reminded her of a piece of candy, and neither her photos nor mine come anywhere close to the intense pink-peach glow of this stone. She posted photos on http://customgemstonestudio.com/category/custom-gemstones/gemstone-jewelry/ if you are interested.

Here are some of her photos that she gave me permission to post:

pcpinktourmringf2_500.jpg

pcpinktourmringf6_500.jpg

pcpinktourmringf8_500.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Some of my (not very good) photos taken on an overcast day:

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Next, the earrings. Once I assured Julia that I was not at all afraid to wear some serious ear-bling, she went ahead with these. The top stones are very pale aquamarines cut by Dan Stair, 2.34 total carat weight, 6.96mm. The bottom stones are Montana sapphires, also beautifully cut by Dan Stair, 1.04tcw, 4.6mm each. They are set in Argentium silver. Notice the glorious baskets on each stone! Made to resemble flowers, and brush finished to look frosted. Ice flower earrings!

Julia's photos first:

asearsfb2_500.jpg

asearsfb4_500.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet! particularly like the detail work on the back of the earrings. the ring is timeless.

MoZo

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
My photos:

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

These were so difficult to photograph because Julia made them so the bottom section moves with the slightest tilt of my head, or current of air. Just my breath was enough to make the bottom sections quiver and sparkle as I tried to take a picture.

I'm very, very glad that I had already reserved four more spaces with Julia this year. The problem is going to be narrowing down what I want to send to her next!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. The ring does look delicious, and the earrings are so very pretty as well as unique. I have two spots reserved with Julia later this year; the toughest part will be deciding how exactly to use those precious slots....

Enjoy your new treasures!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh...wow! So gorgeous. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Both pieces are beautiful!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really lovely pieces, and Julia did an amazing job!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both stunning! Would love some earshots and hand shots! The ring color reminds me of a jolly rogers for some
reason (yum)! The backs of the earrings are exquisite!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are beautiful settings! :love: :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh wow very cool! I love the basket on the earrings! The ring is just GORGEOUS, :love: that stone color is really lovely.

She did a great job on both!!

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
MZ, thank you. I agree with you about the detail, and one of the things I love about JKT's work is how classic it is. Deceptively simple.

Faegrace, thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing what Julia does for you!

Largosmom, Ltlfirecracker, TL, Crasru, DS2006, thanks for your kind words. It's always fun to share with fellow P'scopers!

tyty333, I'm incapable of taking pictures of jewelry on my own hands and ears, so I'm hoping one of my daughters will come over and model for me. I'll post those when I can. I really wish my camera could capture the color of that tourmaline, it is exactly like a Jolly Rancher! :lickout:

Arcadian, thank you! The one of the nicest things about the ring is how incredibly comfortable it is to wear. And I almost want to wear the earrings backwards because the baskets are TDF.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
My heart skipped when I saw those earrings. Completely beautiful!!! Wearing them (the gorgeous ring and earrings) is committing a random act of beauty!! :appl: :appl: :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH swoon!!!

That ring is amazing!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What beautiful work! Stones are wonderful too, yum.

--- Laurie

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've come back and looked at these several times...I love every side of that ring and the baskets on the earrings are great!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-gorgeous new pieces!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Like candy indeed--such a treat! :love:

cheers--Sharon

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Crystalline ice flowers !!!!!!!!!!!
Sigh......
They are perfect.
So are your pictures, I love them :love: :love: :love:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just wanted to say that I met with Julia for coffee this year while I was in Tucson, she is very nice person, and we had a great conversation.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1298855836|2860827 said:
Just wanted to say that I met with Julia for coffee this year while I was in Tucson, she is very nice person, and we had a great conversation.

Oooo, JKT + Gene pieces would be amazing!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Treenbean, that's exactly how I feel, as though it's a privilege to wear something so lovely. Thanks!

MTG, we really need a "swoon" emoticon, don't we?

JewelFreak and Largosmom, I've admired so many of the JKT jewelry pieces that other PS'ers have posted, but seeing her work IRL, I was amazed at how harmonious every line is. The other surprise was how light and wearable it is. I was afraid that the ring, being gold, would be a little heavy and bulky to wear, but it's one of the most comfortable rings I've ever worn. It's literally like it's a part of my hand. I just wish my photos could catch the color of the tourmaline. My pictures make it look grey and under-saturated, Julia's pictures make it look dark and brown, and it is neither.

Packrat, Canuk-gal, ooh~Shiney!, thank you for your comments! I just wish my photos did them justice.

Gene, that must have been a fun experience, getting an opportunity to meet and get to know people who were just names previously!

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Both pieces are just exquisite! Thank you very much for posting these pics!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - both pieces are exquisite! The detail is gorgeous - she really did a fine job.

DROOL! :cheeky:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife, your new JKT pieces are fabulous :love: :love: ! While the front portion of the earrings is beautiful, I find the backs so intriguing-- they look just like cone flowers! And your pink-peach tourmaline ring is perfection! I'm a huge fan of yellow gold :lickout: .

I have a project "slot" coming up in May. This one will be a JKT pendant :)) .

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
CaraMish and k9muttlover, thank you for the compliments, Julia is so talented!

baby nurse: It's hard to beat yellow gold, isn't it? Thank you! I'll be looking forward to seeing your pendant when it's finished. What stone are you going to be having set? I have a couple of spaces reserved in May, and I keep changing my mind on what I want to send her.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1298934803|2861527 said:
CaraMish and k9muttlover, thank you for the compliments, Julia is so talented!

baby nurse: It's hard to beat yellow gold, isn't it? Thank you! I'll be looking forward to seeing your pendant when it's finished. What stone are you going to be having set? I have a couple of spaces reserved in May, and I keep changing my mind on what I want to send her.

Yes, I love the buttery warmth of yellow gold. I don't think it necessarily looks great with every colored stone, but I would never choose a white metal if I could get away with yellow gold :)) .

The stone I asked Julia to set is a large morganite from Jerry at Gemart Services, and it will be in a rose gold bezel. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures of the pendant once it's done!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Those are gorgeous! I especially like the fluid curves of the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results