shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama Question

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
So I pulled the trigger and got a set of freshadamas. They're lovely, but I'm not over the moon impressed. How do I tell if I should return and try again with a different strand? I've read storied of people who just ADORE them. I hate to say it, but I'm just not seeing it. They're very ROUND, but the luster is nothing special. HELP. I want to love them!

naria

Shiny_Rock
If you're not in love with them, I'd try an exchange. What people are attracted to in pearls is very personal. Some want them as round as possible. Others want them as shiny possible. Still others seek a play of colors across their surface or have specific body. I'd send an email to them discussing your issue with the strand, ask them to pick a few sets out for you that have especially good luster and photograph them side by side. You can then select the strand that speaks the most to you.

I will say though that is luster is your principle goal, freshwater's luster isn't metallic in general. Akoyas might be more up your ally in that case. When you get the pictures, I'd consider (if it fits in your budget) asking them to photograph an akoya strand with the mix.

Best of luck in finding your perfect jewels.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
You might prefer the metallic whites.

There are some lovely photos on here of them.

I just ordered a strand!

Or akoya - their luster is incredible!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm just not sure if I'm being too picky or unrealistic. Everyone seems to rave about the freshadamas so I expected to open that box and be wowed. Maybe these are up there with everyone else's and I just hyped them too much. But then I read a thread or two where people had similar reactions, exchanged them and the new strand was wonderful.

It's so hard to tell without seeing them in person. Maybe I will give a call though. I'm not unhappy, and the company has been great to work with. These pearls are lovely they're just not what I expected. Perhaps another strand/pair of earrings/bracelet will float my boat.

I will say they are incredibly well matched. It's not as if the bracelet outshines the necklace or anything-the pearls all go amazingly well with each other. The weight is fantastic and they feel wonderful on. I'm just not seeing the orient/luster I wanted to.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs. Taylor, Why not call Pearl Paradise and ask them to send you a photo of a strand of freshadamas next to akoya strands in Silver, Rose` and Ivory. I personally am drawn to Rose` overtones and buy pearls with that quality. I have a friend who loves Silver overtones. Freshadama I believe may be pinked but their Rose`overtone is much more subdued. I know the right strand is out there waiting for you. Please let us know how this story ends.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I chatted with them yesterday and am waiting for some photos of different strands with some comparison shots. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Great, Please post the glamor shot here , we love photos. Also, Please tell us about how this story ends. NL

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Please share the photos with us. I would say do not compromise. PP is wonderful about returns which is why they are gaining my loyalty (I'm a new shopper with the company but am overall extremely satisfied.) Someone on the forum said that it is always an anxious moment when we open our jewelry box. So true!!! Who knows what really lies inside -- and if it will match what we envisioned. Personally, except for the glorious hanadama necklace I bought, the purchases have always been a bit of a surprise "in real life". Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Also, I find it takes me a couple of days to really start to "get to know" the particular pearls. Figuring out what to wear them with, what neckline would suit them best, etc. I went to bed one night thinking I was going to return a particular item, and when I woke up the next day and saw the pearls in their voluptuous glory on my make-up table I thought: "No way am I EVER going to return this!" I was smitten, but not until the next morning.

Please keep us posted. I want a happy ending to your story.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
It's so true, isn't it? Pearls, unlike any other gems are living things. They change and shift. Yes, other stones will behave differently in different lighting, but not quite in the same way as pearls do. It's hard to nail down what I'm trying to say, but I think all pearl lovers will understand.

I do find that they're growing on me. I take them out and look at them a few times a day, and we're starting to understand each other. :tongue:

I haven't received the photos from PP. They said they would send them yesterday, so I'll follow up today. As soon as I have them, you bet I'll share!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs. taylor|1368705303|3448067 said:
........ I take them out and look at them a few times a day, and we're starting to understand each other. :tongue:

LOL! but its so true!

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I feel one of the delightful characteristics of pearls is that they draw one in to "get acquainted." Often I leave new pearls on a white napkin where I can observe them over a number of days as the light changes. Sounds like you've discovered that also, Mrs. Taylor!

Blossy

Rough_Rock
This is very helpful. I'll be receiving my first pearls in the next few weeks, it's nice to know that if I'm not immediately wowed by them, they may grow on me.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I know this will sound crazy but pearls go to sleep when packaged either in storage or in shipping. When I take a strand out of the safe all of the colors I know are there won't be showing but after I have them on awhile and they warm up the overtones start to pop. They change in different light and depending on the color you are wearing them with they might look extraodirnary with colors popping or dull and lifeless.

Blossy

Rough_Rock
So keep changing clothes until the pearls decide what you're wearing that day? Lol.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Blossy|1368735203|3448439 said:
So keep changing clothes until the pearls decide what you're wearing that day? Lol.

LOL!

It sounds funny, but it's totally true. I've had pearls that I've stored away for a few months and they look shockingly different than I remember. Then as I wear them they wake up. The glow begins to happen. Pearls are so weird.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I got three pairs of earrings once, different freshwater colors, and husband and I took them out to a diner place with us because I wanted to see them under different lighting. I had sat them in a corner of the table. He saw them "wake up" too, so I know I didn't imagine it. Also, the pair I liked least (cream-peach colored metallic) are now among my favorites. So I agree, first impression is definitely not the end of the story when it comes to pearls.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
okay, first set of glamour shots,
metallics and freshadamas:

-1-4_zps8d47657f.jpg

my freshadama necklace. I have freshie earrings too, but these aren't them.

-3-1_zpsa119a41d.jpg

What say the experts?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Mrs. Taylor: Can you tell us which is which on the first shot?

I love the necklace on you. I think the length is perfect. This is the one you are not thrilled with? Can you give us some close-ups from different angles in different lights of the pearls?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
First your pearls are lovely and look very shiney to me and just what I would expect. But if you are unhappy then these pearls are not for you. Period. You should be happy with your pearls but before you order again call and tell them what you want from your pearls. High luster/shiney pearls are Akoya's not freshwater pearls except for the metallic type. Orient is another matter usually seen on Tahitian and South Seas and the color change freshwater which is not common at all. Good luck finding ones that will speak to you.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
sorry! inner strand is metallic freshwaters, outer strand is freshdama.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I think both strands are beautiful.

The necklace on you looks excellent. The mm size of the pearls and the length on you are perfect, to my eye. But we can't decide for you. It's so personal!

Most important is that you love your pearls. I'm sure everyone would agree on that.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
they're much more lively than they were when I first got them. I know pearls take time, but I think I hyped them in my head and expected to open the box and be amazed. I'm still not amazed, but I'm getting smitten and that might just be better. :loopy:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also found that it takes me a few days to fully appreciate any new pearls that arrive in the mail. Not having selected the strand in person, we naturally develop mental expectations, and we need to reconcile these with the real thing when it arrives.

I find I need to view them in different lighting, to balance the first "in the box" viewing, which can be unflattering to the pearls if the box has a black interior, as PP boxes do (pearls look much more lustrous against a white background.)

In the years since Freshadamas were introduced, I've seen more high end freshwater strands in jewelry stores in our area. Perhaps this is true in your area as well, Mrs. Taylor, and if so that may have reduced the "wow factor" for you. But they are lovely on your neck and a solidly good strand of pearls no matter how you look at it.

But my advice to you is to think about getting the metallic whites-- or off-whites, if that is what PP is now carrying.

For me the white metallics do have the "wow factor", and a subtle orient that I don't see in my Freshadamas. In my metallic whites it's a sort of haze over the pearls, very different from any other pearls I own. Orient is subtle in round pearls, if it is seen at all. It's much easier to see orient in irregularly shaped pearls. (Orient is a play of colors caused by refraction of light through the layers of transparent nacre.)
Tahitians have a shiny luster and colorful overtones but my understanding is that they do not display orient.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
mrs. taylor|1368756003|3448716 said:

I guessed right. I am drawn to the metallic, but that is just me. I do collect them in any color I can get.
Have you asked for photos of akoya's yet?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks lovely on you. But come to think of it, I do have a high end white freshwater strand and rarely wear it. I'm glad I have it as it seems the classic for formal occasions and such. But I guess it is just not as interesting to me as colors, baroques, metallics...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I second getting a strand of metallics too...

Have a strand, and my only problem with them is that I would prefer one with larger pearls... so perhaps getting them in 2 or 3 strands is the way to go. This forum is really bad for my bank account. :lol:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
seaurchin|1368814774|3449145 said:
I think it looks lovely on you. But come to think of it, I do have a high end white freshwater strand and rarely wear it. I'm glad I have it as it seems the classic for formal occasions and such. But I guess it is just not as interesting to me as colors, baroques, metallics...

I'm such a fan of all the colors, but I always always always gravitate back to the whites. Don't know why, it just...happens. I'm super boring. lol.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1368797845|3448942 said:
mrs. taylor|1368756003|3448716 said:

I guessed right. I am drawn to the metallic, but that is just me. I do collect them in any color I can get.
Have you asked for photos of akoya's yet?

I have indeed. I am hoping to get them today. I think I'm keeping the freshadamas in 18 inches. I think I may end up with the metallics in 20. My birthday is next month-I definitely deserve more pearls!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good Mrs. Taylor. I can't wait to see the pearls they are sending you to consider. A June Birthday, with a pearl present? Perfect!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1368818557|3449178 said:
Oh good Mrs. Taylor. I can't wait to see the pearls they are sending you to consider. A June Birthday, with a pearl present? Perfect!

I know! It just makes sense, doesn't it? :halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results