shape
carat
color
clarity

Frequency of perceived LGD drawbacks

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Are there any statistics on the frequency or severity of perceived LGD drawbacks? (“Perceived” because some people actually like blue nuance or brown undertones or phosphorescence or magnetism.)

Like, is noticeable blue nuance in LGD much more frequent than noticeable blue fluorescence in EGD, and which of those is more likely to affect light return? Are EGD really so comparatively free of stria? (And isn't the fancy term for oodles of stria “pink?“) How common are brown or grey undertones in LGD, and is it more or less common than low color EGD?

Asking because before I bought a lab grown diamond, I never thought of checking for stria. After caring about stria so much for that first LGD purchase, now when I look at photos of EGD I have noticed a lot of stria.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asking because before I bought a lab grown diamond, I never thought of checking for stria. After caring about stria so much for that first LGD purchase, now when I look at photos of EGD I have noticed a lot of stria.

I completely agree with this. Never noticed it before, and now I see it often in natural diamonds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What the close up videos have done is show just how much polishing defects are allowed in EX/ID in addition to a lot of graining.

So, in a sense, people are rejecting 'VG" stones for aspects that are humanly impossible to detect....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, in a sense, people are rejecting 'VG" stones for aspects that are humanly impossible to detect....
pretty much for vg polish and vg lab symmetry without tools. But isnt that true for a lot of things in the diamond world?
ex/ex for rounds anyway has become routine so it has became expected.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes Karl, it is true that many buyers "go down the rabbit hole" over un-seeable aspects in a way that might very well disadvantage them.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Back on topic, I dont know of any authoritative source for numbers on the percentage of mmd with "issues".
It is going to vary a lot based on the manufacture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results