shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut sapphire eternity, true antique?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!
It seems that I'm on a roll with french cuts recently:lol-2:. I love sapphire and french cuts and have contemplated asking Leslie on ig to have one newly made. Turns out I still gravitate toward actual antique/vintage Art Deco pieces.
Today I found this ring on 1stDibs and then its listing on the vendor's own site for a lower price. It's platinum, size 6.25, 3mm and 2.25 ctw. The vendor claims that it's a 1930s piece, with natural not synthetic sapphires. The french cuts look true to period with octgonal tables and do show some facet wear. It definitely ticks a lot of boxes (and that milgrain and engraving!)
I did a bit of search and comparison across ebay/rubylane/1stdibs, for a little over $1k does that seem too good to be true? Does that look antique to you? Any input and thoughts are appreciated!

1666019019418.png 1666019048204.png 1666019083968.png

Link to the actual listing with more pics and videos
https://www.wilsonsestatejewelry.com/products/11111-we-9653
The vendor has glowing reviews on google and 1stdibs.
It shows sold because they offer free 3-day return so I thought why not see it in person first and bought it.

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Smart to hold it first before posting if you want it. I have bought from them and would again. I tend to run to a gemologist in that situation to make sure the colored stones are natural before the return period is up. Haven’t yet found a way to be sure a piece of jewelry is truly of the time period except my gut.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Smart to hold it first before posting if you want it. I have bought from them and would again. I tend to run to a gemologist in that situation to make sure the colored stones are natural before the return period is up. Haven’t yet found a way to be sure a piece of jewelry is truly of the time period except my gut.

I would hate to miss out on this one :lol-2: Glad to hear you had a good experience with them!
I wish I could consult a gemologist but their return period is too short for me to do that during the week. They seem reputable and I wonder what they would do beyond the return period if it was indeed misrepresented. My gut tells me it's old (sapphires cut a bit wonky, worn milgrain) but part of me is very doubtful as ig vendors ask ~$1500 for new ones and this is priced lower:|

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert
But I think I agree with your assessment.

I’d also be very curious just what the substance is that shown in the ajour openings, next to the stones.
Solder, glue, schmuck? That might explain some of the pricing if it’s glue or added solder - but may not bother some.

I’ll also chime in with a great experience with this company and would definitely buy from them again. Just be sure to differentiate between them and Wilson Brothers ;)2 a totally different experience.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I’m no expert

I’d also be very curious just what the substance is that shown in the ajour openings, next to the stones.
Solder, glue, schmuck? That might explain some of the pricing if it’s glue or added solder - but may not bother some.

I’ll also chime in with a great experience with this company and would definitely buy from them again. Just be sure to differentiate between them and Wilson Brothers ;)2 a totally different experience.
Good point - I wondered what that was for a brief moment but somehow forgot to ask!

Edit: I reached out to them again via online chat and they said the substance at the back is some extra platinum and not glue. Also said none of the sapphires looks replaced/glued on.
They do have top-notch customer service! The ring has already shipped and I'll get it tomorrow.
I've never heard about Wilson Brothers but will avoid them from now on, thanks!

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Got the ring! Looks exactly like the photos and fits me well. Either this is a really good reproduction or I found the one (still not sure if the sapphires are synthetic though).

Their packaging and delivery are incredible!

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Already posted pics to the CS forum but also adding this here. I decided to keep it as I love that shade of blue.
The band is 3mm but the sapphires are smaller at 2mm approx each. I do have an appointment with an appraiser before the end of the month so hopefully they can tell me more about it.
1666122707456.jpg

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
It’s lovely!! I hope that it is The One for you. Please tell me about the pink gem in that sweet ring—looks like a scrumptious piece of candy!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Already posted pics to the CS forum but also adding this here. I decided to keep it as I love that shade of blue.
The band is 3mm but the sapphires are smaller at 2mm approx each. I do have an appointment with an appraiser before the end of the month so hopefully they can tell me more about it.
1666122707456.jpg

Beautiful! I hope it is a keeper!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
It’s lovely!! I hope that it is The One for you. Please tell me about the pink gem in that sweet ring—looks like a scrumptious piece of candy!

Thank you! That's a small Jedi spinel from Burma, kinda expensive for a sub-carat stone but it does pack a punch!:)

Uncut_Pages

Rough_Rock
I’m no expert

Out of curiosity what are the issues with Wilson Brothers?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vaguely remember someone mentioned there are two Wilson Brothers..One is good..the other not..Does anyone remember?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of curiosity what are the issues with Wilson Brothers?

I wouldn’t say there was ‘issues’. there was no problem at all with their stated shop policies.

Just an absolutely polar difference experience between the two companies accuracy of diamond assessment in listing and in discussion ( this one is kinda important to me ;)2), all over tone of customer service communication, the packaging, the shipping.
I’ve only dealt once with each company though.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link to the actual listing with more pics and videos
https://www.wilsonsestatejewelry.com/products/11111-we-9653
The vendor has glowing reviews on google and 1stdibs.

Your pairing looks beautiful!

About the reputability, I have a bias against any outfit that leads off with CTW (presumably carat total weight) in the listing -- especially since I tend to be looking for a colored center stone. And this is what they do...

ETA: fine for an eternity ring (in this instance) but insane for a fine colored stone with a good-sized cheap halo, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results