shape
carat
color
clarity

french cut band decision

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found these two secondhand french cut bands and think I'd like to buy one of them. I just don't know which one???

Band 1 is allegedly around 4 ctw, 3 mm wide, 3 mm tall, and says J color for the diamonds

Band 2 is allegedly around 6 ctw, 4 mm wide, ?? tall, and says F-G for the diamonds which I highly doubt from looking at the pictures.

Both have a three-day return period but if I'm serious about one I'll try to negotiate for longer so I have time to take it to an appraiser. Both are the same size. I like them both because they have really high crowns, something most modern-cut french cuts seem to lack.

frenchies.jpg

So the deal is... I LIKE the bigger one, but is it simply to unwieldy to wear? It would be for my pointer finger/thumb/middle finger, and I'm fairly used to wearing chunkier rings on those fingers but not necessarily THAT chunky. But. It's so big? Also my round brilliant eternity is 3.3ish mm wide, so I'm worried that Ring 1 just won't look that big next to it? I mean, let's be real, I know which one I want and which one I've already asked the seller about, I just want confirmation that I'm not crazy?

Please talk to me, otherwise I'll fall into analysis paralysis and just not get anything.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. if you know of any other good french cut bands out there, please let me know. high crowns club ONLY tho

I wear sizes 4.5-5, and 6-6.75

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely bands, both of them. They do look very different, however. I personally much prefer the look of the first one vs the u-prong. I just don’t picture french cuts in a u-prong band but it doesn’t mean that it won’t appeal to you. Do you see yourself wearing both bands? There is no such thing as too big, if that’s your concern.:D

What is your budget for others that might have suggestions?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also partial to the channel set one but you’re the one wearing it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely bands, both of them. They do look very different, however. I personally much prefer the look of the first one vs the u-prong. I just don’t picture french cuts in a u-prong band but it doesn’t mean that it won’t appeal to you. Do you see yourself wearing both bands? There is no such thing as too big, if that’s your concern.:D

What is your budget for others that might have suggestions?

Uh, well, my budget is theoretically $5k, but the larger is closer to $9k... I'd rather spend the money on the right thing now then end up buying something that ends up needing to be upgraded in a couple of years. It would just mean it's also my Christmas present :D. Also please let me know if these prices are totally whackadoodle. I compared them to what I could find but I seem to always be trying to buy things for which comparisons are difficult.

I agree about the setting of the first - but the second could probably be re-set if I end up hating it. With french cuts, the diamonds themselves are more of the limiting factor, you know? Like if it was a RB band I'd be sure to get the right setting right out of the gate, but with french cuts, I'm sure I'd either be looking for years or spending twice as much money to get the right stones IN the right setting. And right now two bands I like have come along when I have money set aside specifically for jewelry purchases.

I can definitely see myself wearing either. I usually wear a ring on the pointer finger or thumb of my right hand - usually my Cartier love band. I think either eternity would stack with it and look good. I have a 3mm ruby eternity and a ~5mm rose cut black stone of some kind eternity I sometimes wear there... I like eternity bands for my pointer finger or thumb because I can see around a lot of those fingers. They feel like kind of a waste on my middle or ring fingers where I can't see the backs!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the engraving on #1 because I feel like it "fits" the aesthetic of french cuts. But the 2nd one is just so blingy and gorgeous! Gah! Hard choice!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I like them both, but I’m a very practical person. If it was for me, I would get No. 1. It looks more comfortable.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
For some reason I can really tell that they are french cuts in photo 1, but I cannot really tell they are french cuts in photo 2. It might be the angle of the photo. I think something about the way they are set in photo 1 is just kind of sleek and looks great with this type of cut. However, it sounds like you already know which one you like.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the engraving on #1 because I feel like it "fits" the aesthetic of french cuts. But the 2nd one is just so blingy and gorgeous! Gah! Hard choice!

Riiiiiiight? I've messaged the seller of the second to ask about the height off the finger and see if the return period can be extended. If she says no then I will message the seller of the first. At the end of the day, if I can't extend the return period beyond 3 days, I don't think I can buy either because I often am on the fence about things for a few days before deciding I love them or I don't love them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Riiiiiiight? I've messaged the seller of the second to ask about the height off the finger and see if the return period can be extended. If she says no then I will message the seller of the first. At the end of the day, if I can't extend the return period beyond 3 days, I don't think I can buy either because I often am on the fence about things for a few days before deciding I love them or I don't love them.
3 days is too short for such a significant purchase. I would say at least 7 days.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason I can really tell that they are french cuts in photo 1, but I cannot really tell they are french cuts in photo 2. It might be the angle of the photo. I think something about the way they are set in photo 1 is just kind of sleek and looks great with this type of cut. However, it sounds like you already know which one you like.

Yeah, we pretty much only see channel or bezel set french cuts on PS that they look a bit bizarre when not set that way. I've definitely thought that before about other items I've seen where french cuts were set differently.

It's funny - a lot of times the comments I get on posts asking for people's opinions are all exactly opposite what I end up liking/doing. I've had this happen several times before. But it still helps clarify my own thoughts on the matter.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 days is too short for such a significant purchase. I would say at least 7 days.

A LOT of jewelry sellers online have only a 3-day return period. It's madness.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It's funny - a lot of times the comments I get on posts asking for people's opinions are all exactly opposite what I end up liking/doing. I've had this happen several times before. But it still helps clarify my own thoughts on the matter.

I totally understand what you mean - I am that way too. =)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, we pretty much only see channel or bezel set french cuts on PS that they look a bit bizarre when not set that way. I've definitely thought that before about other items I've seen where french cuts were set differently.

Yup, I'm that way too. Likely bc my taste isn't super typical, so won't appeal to everyone. But it does help a lot to get opinions, even if it only serves to prove to yourself that you knew what you wanted all along :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them both obviously but think the channel set one is unique and quite wearable. I certainly wouldn’t kick the other one out of bed, but it’s above your budget and the setting doesn’t look too comfortable. Either way, you can’t lose. I adore my Frenchie.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preference for numbet 1 here as well

Or buy number 2 and have it reset into a channel setting. Or even create 2 half eternities from number 2 (also to avoid whacking the underside frenchies

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, get the big one.
Otherwise you’ll be going “I should have got the big one” because virtually no one goes “I should have got the small one”.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love band one. It's gorgeous. And those high crowns are yummy. Both bands are gorgeous though. I love the engraving on the first one and I also prefer the look from the top down. But larger is yummy too. LOL I am no help. If it were my choice I would go for the smaller one because (for me) I think the smaller one is more practical for daily wear and it just looks prettier in the photos but I know photos can be deceiving.

I wouldn't buy the second one if you think resetting is going to be something you want to do just because you are paying for the whole ring and if you reset I think labor can be costly. For a beautifully made ring that is.

But if you want and love the bigger one for sure more than the first one then go for it. You know that itch won't be scratched with settling for what is second best in your mind. So if you know you LOVE the second ring you should go for it. It is much more expensive to settle in the long run. Get your dream band now if that is your dream band. It's worth it if you love it and it is gorgeous.

The question is which one do you see yourself enjoying and wearing more often? PPW matters and if you see yourself wearing the bigger one more than PPW it might actually be less expensive than the smaller one. Alternatively if you see yourself enjoying and wearing the smaller one more often than perhaps that is your answer. Life is challenging and too short and you should get and wear what makes you happiest if you can afford it.

princessdoesntsettle.gif

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A LOT of jewelry sellers online have only a 3-day return period. It's madness.
Is that three days to be in the post?
Or does it have to be back with them by the end of day three?

The latter only gives perhaps 24 hours of review time at most!

Do speak to Yoram at Gemconcepts and check out his boutique listings before you buy anything :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Those are both modern cut FCs, and there's at least one bench out there making a bunch of these. Does this seller offer custom made rings? If so it might be worth getting a quote for the 4ctw channel set?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are both modern cut FCs, and there's at least one bench out there making a bunch of these. Does this seller offer custom made rings? If so it might be worth getting a quote for the 4ctw channel set?

Ooh that is interesting - how can you tell? The first offers the ring in other sizes so I had guessed either they made it or they would disassemble and reassemble it or they just made a listing error. The second is the seller I’ve actually corresponded with and it’s definitely secondhand but no more info on where it originally came from. I could certainly ask the first one about price for a wider band.

Where do I find more of these bunch of french cut bands that seem cheaper than what we can get through PS vendors who offer high crown french cuts?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I've recognize the work of the first band's bench all over IG and ebay. The second one is currently on ebay but she had several other ones before, and the cut looks like the ones from the first band so I assume there is a distributor out there cutting these FCs.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w some of the above points:

-love the setting in first photo
-cannot really tell the 2nd are French cut
-I really only foresee French cuts in a setting similar to photo 1
-I would go bigger if you can afford it but I would keep looking. Don’t settle. Trust me, it will make you crazy and you will probably end up selling it (loosing some money) and repurchasing exactly what you wanted originally. It is a large purchase and should be perfect to you.

Good Luck. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do speak to Yoram at Gemconcepts and check out his boutique listings before you buy anything :)

I suspected this but the cost would be around twice as much for the diamonds alone. That's not only out of my range for the moment but it's also more than I can tolerate spending on diamonds. I could spend $10k on a big diamond eternity and be happy, but if I spent $15-20k I would regret not getting a colored stone instead.

@distracts Did you see this one? Larger stones like your second choice but setting like the first (which I personally prefer over the u prong).
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323644055561

I did see that. Is it crazy that I just don't like that one? I did see it but I'm just not digging it. I have no idea why. I am wondering if it's actually that I don't like the channel setting on larger stones? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've recognize the work of the first band's bench all over IG and ebay. The second one is currently on ebay but she had several other ones before, and the cut looks like the ones from the first band so I assume there is a distributor out there cutting these FCs.

hmmm, I'll ask about it with the seller of the first, then. Given my reaction to the larger channel-set band linked above is a great big "meh," I worry about getting one made rather than buying an existing one since it's unlikely I could return it. That's part of the appeal of a ready-made item - if I don't like it, I can just send it back and no harm done.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
"Please talk to me, otherwise I'll fall into analysis paralysis and just not get anything"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Please talk to me, otherwise I'll fall into analysis paralysis and just not get anything"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Haha, it’s exactly what ended up happening... I haven’t spent the rest of my birthday money because I found too many things I liked, panicked, and am just not deciding for a while. I made as many jewelry decisions as I could handle with the paraiba ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results