shape
carat
color
clarity

freak out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Ok some of you have seen pics of my emerld cut ring that I had...well....about 2 weeks ago I was on the way to the airport to go get some people for my brothers wedding....well as Heather and I were driving my diamond FELL OUT...well I heard it clink so I was like oh its in the car and then we can find it later...on a schedule ya know...so fast forward a week...after al lthe wedding stuff...we tore apart my car and cut out some of the carpet to find it...its not there. I did not have insurance on it. its something I bought myself after haz-matt and I broke up last year. I have a gia cert...but....is this something thats normally covered under homeowners insurance? I live with my parents and they said they would claim it if they can. They cant find there booklet for their insurance so we are waiting on that yet...so whats the liklihood of it being covered??

anyone...HELP!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think homeowner''s has a limit of $500 or something like that. It could be covered, give them a call and ask. I hope you''ll find it soon.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I worked in insurance claims over ten years ago and
from what I remember if the item was not specifically scheduled
on the policy it has very limited coverage.

I''m sorry to give the bad news. Maybe coverage has gone up a little but back then
I think it was about $1500.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure. They are closed because of the holiday...I litterally cut out chunks of my carpet in my car looking for it...unbolted the seat and its not there. I have a 91 grand am so its not the best car, but still...my first big purchase!! Its sucks...I hated the setting so I was always going to have it re-set into something else, but that didnt work out...so now i have an empty setting I hate and no diamond....

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I only paid 1000 for the ring but I know i got a great deal on it...its a H vs1 .55 emerald cut...I never got an apprasial because I wanted to wait til I found a new setting.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take a small kitchen vacuum and vacuum everywhere in the car. THen I''d check the vacuum cleaner bag on a white piece of paper.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 3:53:42 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''d take a small kitchen vacuum and vacuum everywhere in the car. THen I''d check the vacuum cleaner bag on a white piece of paper.

Such a good idea, kcoursolle. I would also try to take the seats out of the car if you can. I''ve actually done this once before and it wasn''t that hard. Even the seat belts can be unbolted from the floor of a car. The diamond could have fallen in between the seat and the center console or gotten stuck under the hardware under the seats. And I know you probably already have, but try looking again with a flashlight and getting a friend to look with fresh eyes.

And if all else fails, bust out an old Catholic trick-pray to Saint Anthony-he''s the patron saint of lost things.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 4:02:41 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 7/5/2007 3:53:42 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Such a good idea, kcoursolle. I would also try to take the seats out of the car if you can. I''ve actually done this once before and it wasn''t that hard. Even the seat belts can be unbolted from the floor of a car. The diamond could have fallen in between the seat and the center console or gotten stuck under the hardware under the seats. And I know you probably already have, but try looking again with a flashlight and getting a friend to look with fresh eyes.

And if all else fails, bust out an old Catholic trick-pray to Saint Anthony-he''s the patron saint of lost things.
What great ideas! Good luck Alexis! I really hope you find your diamond!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure that lost items aren''t covered under homeowners insurance, but I very well might be wrong. I also bet that your parents probably have some kind of significant deductible, so that might also make a small claim like this one not worth it?

I hope you can find it. The vacuum idea is a fantastic one.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked your purses, handbags, clothing that you were wearing that day? I''m so sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully the diamond will be covered with your homeowner''s insurance!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Yikes. A week is a long time to go without looking for your diamond. I know I would have looked for it right away. Just saying...
40.gif

Anything could have happened to it...it could have gotten stuck in the sole of your sneaker...it could have rolled into the passenger side, or in the back seat area. The possibilities are endless!

I hope you don''t think I''m being a wench. I really hope you find a way to remedy the situation. I''d be devastated.
7.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Oh NO! I think homeowners mainly covers theft of jewelery.

edited to add: I just thought about a time when I lost my mothers diamond necklace in the car. Dad had the idea of waiting til night fall and using a small flash light, sure enough we found it after about 30minutes just sparkilng away...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
My homeowners does not cover more than $500 on a single jewelry loss if it is a "non-scheduled" item. I have my diamond w-band & diamond studs all scheduled on a separate rider on my policy (had to submit appraisals). Its an extra $70 a year, but IMO totally worth it.....

good luck!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my!! I''m so sorry!
You''ve said that you heard it clink against something.. Were you driving or riding? Do you have a leather shifter cover that moves or is it bolted down and plastic so nothing can fall in there? How about the e-brake? Is there any space between the e-brake and the handle? Have you taken the entire mid con. out? Do you remember what your were doing with your hands when you heard the clink?

Just trying to see if you remember any detail about it and to give you some more places to look..

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Your stone fell out of its setting and you didn''t look for it until a week later???
38.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how awful! I''d be so afraid that it could have bounced onto clothing or shoes and fallen out of the car. Could it have fallen into a purse? Did you both empty your purses to see?

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 6:28:10 PM
Author: surfgirl
Your stone fell out of its setting and you didn''t look for it until a week later???
38.gif
I think I was stuck on the fact it wasn''t looked for until much later, too...only because I know ME and how I would act.

Here''s how it would play out:

Driving
Clink !
SCREECH !!

The flashlight idea sounded like a good one...give that a try. I really do hope you find it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results