shape
carat
color
clarity

Four colored diamond pendant in pink diamond halos, 5.0 tcw

Gossamer

Rough_Rock
Here is the wife's 30th birthday present. Haven't figured out how to present it - any suggestions? I have a week to figure out the surprise... the engagement sapped my creativity.

img_1930sm.jpg

From bottom to top:

2.01ct rose-cut pear yellow
0.87ct RBC purple VS1
0.49ct Asscher blue VS1
0.80ct F SI1 pear
Approx. 85 fancy pink pointers, supposedly Argyle (from a well-regarded vendor but unverifiable provenance)
~5.0 TCW
set in rose gold
length overall = about as long as a lady's pinkie finger

Wife's best friend is a fashion designer; she and I designed the piece on a napkin over martinis in the lobby bar of One Aldwych. We wanted to create a statement piece that creates visual interest with multiple colors, different shapes and cuts, and contrast with the colorless white stone. At the same time, we wanted to retain an elegant harmony through colors that work together and the pink halos to tie the piece together. This is the inspiration piece, but I found that sourcing loose stones one at a time allowed me to understand the vendor's economics better and reduce the margin that gets buried in a final finished piece. In other words, I bought the stones from different vendors, one of whom did final assembly, and believe this achieved better pricing than trying to buy the whole thing at once or from one vendor.

To answer a question that has been asked several times on the forums: the market's asking price on pink melee pointers is $6500/ct but better prices can be negotiated for larger orders.

(I usually post under a different username where some folks know who I am and where I live, so I post pictures under different usernames for privacy.)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Four colored diamond pendant in pink diamond halos, 5.0

uhhh, omg???

surprise?? damn...just give it to her... :-o ;)) :-o

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It's stunning! The pendant is a good enough surprise. No need to worry about presentation. Please come back with neck shots when she gets it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can find really stunning jewellery presentation boxes on ebay or online for pendants and necklaces if that is what you are looking for otherwise I agree just give it to her, it's very pretty and the pink and the blue stones are a standout.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm not the creative type so don't really have any suggestions. But I gotta say, I've never seen so many colored diamonds in one piece!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is really gorgeous! Anyone would be thrilled to receive that! :appl:

Gossamer

Rough_Rock

thecat|1397367755|3652615 said:
Please come back with neck shots when she gets it.

Thanks - hopefully in a week or two. I always find that jewels look better on a neck than in a display cabinet or, as in this case, laid on my bathroom counter.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe you guys could make a cake together for her birthday. Use a pastry bag and have the pendant come out (wrapped in clear plastic of course) while icing the cake? Mmm cream cheese frosting with raspberries.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

You could hang it off of your unmentionable. Lol!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

It's beautiful! I don't think it's going to matter how you present it you she's going to love it! I honestly don't know how you are going to keep it from her for an entire week!! My husband recreated our first date for my birthday. He gave me my birthday present during dessert. I thought it was really thoughtful and romantic :)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I really like this, so unique!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Gem Queen said:
You could hang it off of your unmentionable. Lol!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful pendant. What about this: Take her to dinner for her birthday, and have her believe that's the ONLY present she's getting. Then when you are getting ready, VETO whatever necklace she's wearing, and put it on her saying you thought this looked better. :D

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cozystitches|1397482601|3653199 said:
Beautiful pendant. What about this: Take her to dinner for her birthday, and have her believe that's the ONLY present she's getting. Then when you are getting ready, VETO whatever necklace she's wearing, and put it on her saying you thought this looked better. :D

What a clever idea!!!!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

Creative presentation? Not necessary. That piece speaks for itself. You could hand it to me when I'm running late in the morning, dripping wet from the shower as I reach for my cup of coffee on the bathroom sink and I'd be thrilled. It's beautiful. Great job!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

Your pendant actually reminds me of the colors of the sun rising. I would make her breakfast and insist she wakes up to see the sun rise with you. Take her to the beach or a romantic lookout where you can cuddle and get the best view of the sunrise. I would then give her the pendant telling her you wanted her to remember this moment forever.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I would find a fancy presentation box to put it in and hand it to her over a nice dinner at a busy restaurant. It's fun to receive gifts in the company of others because it makes the person feel special/like the center of attention. For example, have you ever seen the look on a woman's face when she receives a bouquet of flowers at work in front of all of her co-workers?

Gossamer

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your ideas -- all are very good, though the ribald character who suggested I hang it from a body part is assuming I'm a man. I like the idea of the sunrise on the beach and find that a very keen observation about the colors. But I have a feeling it'll be the restaurant route. Getting her up before 8am is a formula for a very unhappy wife. On second thought, maybe the beach at sunset at a beachside restaurant???

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

Actually, Gossamer, I am a woman, all woman, hence the name "Gem a Queen"! This is the time to get what you want. You know that book by Dr. Laura S. The proper care and feeding your husband... Something like that!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

Gossamer|1397523073|3653498 said:
Thanks for your ideas -- all are very good, though the ribald character who suggested I hang it from a body part is assuming I'm a man. I like the idea of the sunrise on the beach and find that a very keen observation about the colors. But I have a feeling it'll be the restaurant route. Getting her up before 8am is a formula for a very unhappy wife. On second thought, maybe the beach at sunset at a beachside restaurant???

That would be romantic too although I'm biased since my husband proposed at a beach side restaurant. If you are in Southern California I highly recommend Las Brisas in Laguna Beach.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, that is a pretty spectacular necklace! :love: She might need a personal security guard wearing that necklace!

I also vote for the nice dinner and bring out the gift before dessert.

I'd be very interested to know what her e-ring is if it won't give away your identity.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Gossamer|1397523073|3653498 said:

You know what they say - "happy wife, happy life" :lol: ;-)
Las Brisas is lovely by the way. Keep us posted!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

I LOVE LAS BRISAS!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

do you have more pics, BTW?

Gossamer

Rough_Rock

Here's a picture in just natural sunlight without any effects. Seems to show the canary color of the yellow stone better.

img_1939sm.jpg

And the original CAD sketch:

ajb-1.jpg

Assuming she likes this piece, I think I might try to make it a demi-parure by commissioning coordinated earrings, possibly in the style of this piece by Graff, but with a matching pink and rose gold motif.

Turns out her BFF who helped me design it will be coming to town this weekend for her birthday, so I'll probably get the BFF & husband, the wife, and her parents out for dinner, maybe at the same restaurant we went the night we got engaged (sadly not on a beach though).

It was pretty hard to resist not giving it to her last night. I did my best to lower expectations. After all, there are a lot of bad gifts, and I've probably given a few myself.

P.S. her e-ring is just a simple RBC in a four-prong solitaire. She just wanted something that would show the natural beauty of the stone without embellishment.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, it sounds like she has excellent taste and she is extremely fortunate to have a spouse who can give her such fine pieces!

Oh, and I think for the earrings, I would do a single round rose gold halo with a round white diamond in the middle. That way she can wear it with other things. Yellow might work, too. I like your design better than the Graff earrings, actually.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG, from a woman who knows that that unbelievable piece of jewelry is just sitting there, GIVE IT TO HER ALREADY!!! :lol: :lol:

That piece is so amazing that I wouldn't care if you gave that to me in a dirty napkin. ;-)

Or maybe she is used to receiving these ridiculous gifts from you and you want to do something different. Eh, who knows...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, since it is a birthday gift, I'd wait for her birthday!

Gossamer

Rough_Rock

Well, she likes it. In fact, she may well sleep with it tonight. She's annoyed with her girlfriends for keeping it a secret for several months now as it was coming together.... hahaha

I went out to get her a birthday cake today but told her the bakery was sold out because it's Easter, so all I could get is carrot cake. She hates carrot cake and was pretty upset. I told her I actually had a real cake, not to worry. When dessert came around I brought out this piece of carrot cake and the family sang happy birthday. She was obviously pretty annoyed. I then explained that I meant carat cake, not carrot cake, and presented the gift.

Here's the neck shot:

img_0398.jpg

Thanks to the folks here for your help as I assembled it (mostly via me lurking), your encouragement, and your inspiration from the pieces you've posted here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Outstanding! :love: I am sure she was thrilled, to say the least!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results