shape
carat
color
clarity

Found lost/stray doggie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
This morning we were awakened by Zoe going nuts barking at the front door. I came downstairs and out on our porch were 2 dogs. They ran off and I really didn''t think any more of it. About an hour later I looked across the street and it looked like Zoe had gotten out of our yard and was chasing/terrorizing kids
23.gif
. We live across the street from a school. Anyway, I started yelling for her and she comes running up the side of our fenced in yard. Turns out one of the strays looks almost exactly like Zoe. Anyway, the kids and parents were really freaking out so I had hubby go and get him and we thought we''d keep him in our yard until school was in session and then let him go, in case he has owners somewhere. He has no tags. While I had him I gave him some water and he looked a little hungry so I gave him some food. A while later I opened the gate so he could go and he just stared at me. i had to leave so I just left him in the yard and ran errands. I came back about 1 1/2 later and he was asleep on my porch. He has been here all day. I gave him some more food, he scarfed it up and made sure he has plenty of water. I have know idea where he belongs. As you can see he looks pretty healthy and is super friendly but there is no way I can bring him inside. He''s outside on my covered porch right now
15.gif
. I have know idea what to do. I''m planning on hanging some posters tomorrow. Any other suggestions? I don''t want to take him to the spca or anyplace that would put him to sleep
39.gif
. There is just no way I can adopt another dog right now..I have very sad b/c I hate that he is outside,by himself
15.gif
any advice is welcome..

zoelookalikestray1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of the 2 of them playing together
1.gif

zoelookalikestray2.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, hard situation. What a cutie too. I''d do

a) signs ... phone polls, local stores, post office
b) call it in to local ASPCAs to see if anyone''s LOOKING for a dog like that description maybe
c) if you don''t get any leads, maybe a breed rescue?

(I had to turn in a papillon I adopted from a shelter back into a breed specific rescue because it turns out he was brain-damaged from the car accident he''d been recovering from when I adopted him & violent ... not good for a 1st time dog owner. Broke my heart but I was very happy to find an organization that specialized in re-training & matching pets w/owners .. not like some of the fly by night, money making so-called shelters or ones w/ death row. They found a dog savvy couple to adopt him eventually too - so happy ending for him !)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call your local police department. Ask them if anyone has reported a dog of that description missing. I have done this several times as dogs, and cats always end up on my door step. The dogs have been reunited with their thankful owners many times. The cats I gave away as my kids are allergic. One was very sick and had been a stray for months and was skin and bones but I took that cat to the vet and got her medicine. She ended up having to be put to sleep, poor thing.
15.gif

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Awww.....I don''t know what your laws are where you are but here in British Columbia, if you take a stray to the pound they will adopt them out after a period of time, usually giving the rightful owners ample time to look for them at the SPCA. I would call the SPCA and ask for their assistance as to what you can do. How about a little ad in your local newspaper?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ladies. I will start making calls first thing in the morning. we live in a very family friendly communtiy and whenever a pet goes missing there are normally people out driving around looking for them. So far, nothing on our sweet guy. I am just heartbroken. Hubby keeps telling me he survived fine up until now and he''s probably happy for the food and water and soft spot to sleep. that''s why he''s still here. I''m just such a dog lover and hate that he''s outside when it''s cold and possible snow flurries.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww mrs salvo...i would also call the SPCA or your local dog shelter and tell them you found the dog ... not necessarily turn him in but it''s a way to find out if someone called in or was looking for the dog. i know i''d hate if i lost a dog to be calling around and not have the local shelter know where my dog was because no one had called in that they had him...but i do know what you mean about being afraid that he''d be put to sleep if no one found him, try to find a no-kill shelter AND also i''d see if you had a breed rescue (is he a yellow lab?) that is local that could assist as well. also put the word out via email with everyone you know is local so they can get the word out too.

good luck!! the picture of the two of them playing is too cute!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Mrs. S...is it possible he is microchipped? If so you could take him to your vet or police department and have them "run him through" to see if he belongs to someone. It''s common practice in our area for dogs to be chipped (teeny little grain of rice thing that sits between their shoulders, implanted under the skin, for identification purposes in the event of something like this). Our dog is chipped, but also wears a collar with all his ID tags all the time. However, if he got himself into trouble and lost his collar, he would still have the chip to identify him should the "new owner" decide to take him in and have him checked out. The chip is registered with the PD and the vet. Hope this helps--I would think you''d want to take him to the vet under any circumstances just to make sure he is healthy and doesn''t pass on anything to your own dog, even if you don''t want to keep him.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to double post, he just looks so healthy in the pics (I''m sure you''ve noticed this, lol) that he must belong to SOMEONE! I hope that you take him to be "scanned." If that doesn''t pan out, I think posters are a great idea, I would hate to see that beautiful dog put down. Btw, have you read "Marley and Me?" It is such a great book for dog lovers (all breeds). Let us know what happens! I will be thinking positive thoughts for ya!
face1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He''s a darling mrssalvo, get him scanned to see if he has a microchip, but you are doing a great job to help him and I know there is a happy ending in store for him! Good job!
36.gif
36.gif
Please keep us posted on progress.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got wonderful news. I called the closest local vet as soon as they opened this morning and said i''ve found a dog. The gal asked me to hold on, someone called yesterday who had lost their dog and she described our big boy perfectly. I was able to call her this morning and she''ll be coming to pick him up in a bit. I thought he looked awful healthy for a true stray and he had no fear of "people." I''m just sooooooooooo relieved he has a good home with a loving mommy. She said the doggie and his "brother" got out of her yard yesterday. The other dog came home but our boy like it here with us i guess he wanted to spend the night
9.gif
. I''m also relieved to know he''s current on all his shots so nothing to worry about there
36.gif
. Thank you guys for your suggestions
36.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Nice to hear you found the owner. Now tell her to keep a collar and tag on her dog! Sorry, but it is irresponsible not to. I have 2 dogs and they are both chipped and wear collars because if they ever do escape I won''t lose them. I know accidents happen, but we are responsible for the lives of our pets. I''m just glad he didn''t get hit by a car or something. He was lucky to find you to take care of him.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thats a relief - thanks for the update - well done playing your part to get him home safely
36.gif
Lets hope she gets him a collar and tag PDQ.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew he had to be somebody''s pet. That is great news mrssalvo!! They will be so relieved to have him back home where he belongs. You did a great job looking out for him!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, it's very irresponsible to not have your dog's tagged. It would have saved us both a lot of heartache i'm sure. On a lighter note, we rarely get any snow around here but we awoke this morning to a little bit. Here's a picture of Zoe, "buddy" and Lily (the inspiration for the pendant)
1.gif

snowdogs1.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pic mrssalvo! I haven''t seen any decent snow in ages, your little one looks like she is having fun!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY happy ending!!!!

Portia is micro-chipped as well but someone would have to take her into the vet to find that out, I don''t think it''s SOOO mainstream that people just think of it naturally yet. I totally forgot about that until Lorelei mentioned it here!!

I HATE when I see dogs out without a collar or anything....it''s very irresponsible. Esp when they are running around in the park with no owner....
20.gif
However we typically don''t make P wear her collar and tags in the house, so in the event that she ever bolted out the front gate and took off (hard to believe but you never know!), she wouldn''t have any tags on her...sometimes I waffle about having her wear the tags in the house but she''s so much more comfortable without her collar on and she''s inside 90% of the time.

So when is the happy reunion, Mrs S?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 12:51:02 PM
Author: Mara
YAY happy ending!!!!

However we typically don''t make P wear her collar and tags in the house, so in the event that she ever bolted out the front gate and took off (hard to believe but you never know!), she wouldn''t have any tags on her...sometimes I waffle about having her wear the tags in the house but she''s so much more comfortable without her collar on and she''s inside 90% of the time.

So when is the happy reunion, Mrs S?

I rarely have a collar on Zoe in the house either. When she''s gotten out without it she never runs off but I found out Sonny boy, the dog''s name, just lives a block away and didn''t go home
20.gif
. I talked to the owner this morning and she''s at her mom''s for the day. she went there last night b/c her husband was out of town and didn''t want to get stuck at home alone with her kids in the snow. So, she won''t be back until this afternoon to pick him up. Since, I know he''s ok I brought him in the house because I just can''t leave him outside all day, it''s so cold here. My husband just rolls his eyes, he''s like, ok, it''s a dog, he''s got fur. So, sonny boy is sound asleep in the mud room, nice and warm
16.gif
. I must admit to thinking i must be a nutty dog owner because I would have been out looking and calling for Zoe all night. I just could not of left my house without her. I realize i am not normal and I view my doggie as a baby so maybe that''s why it''s so hard for me to imagine. The owner was very, very grateful and I too am glad I found him, who knows where he would have ended up
38.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs S I''m a nutty dog owner too, no way would I be hanging out or leave the house without Portia...I''d be up and down the street with a megaphone calling out for her til the wee hours. If someone had her, they''d push her out the door just to get me to shut up!
9.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
She left her house knowing her dog was running loose? I''m biting my tongue really hard right now
29.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 1:40:59 PM
Author: WTNLVR
She left her house knowing her dog was running loose? I''m biting my tongue really hard right now
29.gif

i know, i can''t even think about it
40.gif
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 1:47:27 PM
Author: mrssalvo

29.gif

40.gif
38.gif
OMG are you serious?? I have no words for that. I am speechless. Ughhhh.
38.gif
39.gif
14.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 1:52:59 PM
Author: kaleigh

Date: 2/18/2006 1:47:27 PM
Author: mrssalvo

29.gif

40.gif
38.gif
OMG are you serious?? I have no words for that. I am speechless. Ughhhh.
38.gif
39.gif
14.gif
That''s absolutely horrible!!
11.gif
If my pet, cat or dog, ever went missing, I would not stop searching. I would be banging on every person''s doors, screaming the pet''s name, and certainly making a scene. I bet people would come to help just to shut me up
2.gif

But I''m glad you found the dog''s owner!!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one of my animals was missing or in trouble EVERYTHING stops until they are found or helped
38.gif
I won't say anymore as I would probably say too much , but thank goodness there are people in the world like you Mrssalvo who will take the time to help an animal in need.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Mrs S! What a beautful beast and bless you for caring for him!!!! You''re a puppy angel indeed! I''d say to the owner....you can have him back if you put a collar on him...or I''m not giving him back.
11.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone. I would be sick if my dog got out of the house, until I found him/her. Why on earth would she leave??? Kind of sounds like something my aunt would do.
20.gif
29.gif

At least he had a nice warm cozy friend to stay with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results