carat
color
clarity

found a buried ring

TanyaOnline

Rough_Rock
Hi-
any suggestions/thoughts?
My dad found this ring buried in garden (south london UK). close up pics make me think it's hand made. suspect low carat gold becasue it was rather green looking before cleaning. the back flat part looks very roughly done. No hallmark except a possible semicircle?

thanks (in advance)

Attachments

• P1060478.JPG
    P1060478.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 59
  • P1060482.JPG
    P1060482.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P1060484.JPG
    P1060484.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 41
  • P1060488.JPG
    P1060488.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 36

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So interesting!
It certainly is at least 100 years old or more. Because it is lightweight gold, I suspect the little rose cuts may be glass. It probably once held a nice colored cabochon.
A jeweler can repair it and replace the stone. I sweet piece of history!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely find! Definitely looks old. It would look fantastic restored with a cab stone. I can imaging it with a chalcedony.
Not sure I would be so lucky if I went digging in my back garden! :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful. I’m wondering if it’s a French, rings made in France usually have their hallmarks to the “outside” of the shank.

TanyaOnline

Rough_Rock
So interesting!
It certainly is at least 100 years old or more. Because it is lightweight gold, I suspect the little rose cuts may be glass. It probably once held a nice colored cabochon.
A jeweler can repair it and replace the stone. I sweet piece of history!

thank you so much. Yes I agree, some lovely history!

Last edited:

TanyaOnline

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful. I’m wondering if it’s a French, rings made in France usually have their hallmarks to the “outside” of the shank.

interesting, thank you. do you think that mark was a hallmark then? it's definitely some kind of indentation...

TanyaOnline

Rough_Rock
What a lovely find! Definitely looks old. It would look fantastic restored with a cab stone. I can imaging it with a chalcedony.
Not sure I would be so lucky if I went digging in my back garden! :lol-2:

thank you. what is a 'cab; stone please?

TanyaOnline

Rough_Rock
Thank you for these replies- i didn't realise i had any responses til just now as thought I'd get an email (brand new on these boards). So exciting that it's old. I love history!
fyi- the house was built in 1920 and the first owner was a lady, her name is on the deeds. I do wonder if it was hers?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It does look like it was a hallmark. You could take it to an appraiser to know more about the gold and the little stones. It is very cute. It would be lovely repaired. A cabochon is a stone that is not faceted. I think a moonstone would be nice in there. You could however have a faceted gemstone set in it too. Up to you.

TanyaOnline

Rough_Rock
"A cabochon is a stone that is not faceted. "

ahhh I see. thank you Sunstorm :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results