shape
carat
color
clarity

Forum Members and their Favourite Vendors wrt Disclosure

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Yikes, while I am feeling slightly brave... I just wanted to ask, if there are some members in the community as a whole who seem to be very behind one particular vendor or another, in terms of promoting or defending the product; if the relationship extends to discounts, or gifts or other perks or suchlike, ought they to have a Trade badge; or is there some obligation to disclose this; or in fact might we never know?

This is a general question by the way. I am not sure whether it even matters, but hoped to get some good input and opinions either way. I am also aware relationships can become even more complex and develop into friendships etc but thought I would ask anyway w.r.t. both this, and the parameters above. Actually I am terrified to even put the question, but my curiosity has got the better of me! If it has already been answered elsewhere I will accept my chastisement and slink back off into lurkdom!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I think if one reads this forum for a while, and pays attention to who posts what, it's not too difficult to determine which posters have personal relationships / friendships with assorted vendors. I don't know if that really needs a trade badge.

Don't slink away. :angel:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
If the people get any sort of perk it is because they give repeated business to the vendor themselves, and not by any action of promoting vendors and receiving discounts or perks. Even if they weren't posting on PS they would still get the same treatment.

I think you see a lot of people talk about the same vendors here is because we are admiring and reviewing peoples purchases, and like to know where to get great deals and customer service. And a lot of us have found that the same vendors tend to have amazing prices, absolutely perfect customer service, and have a superior product. It helps build a reputation, that way if you are looking to spend your money on a piece you can get a good idea of the vendors reputation by all of our experiences.

In the past it has seemed like some may get perks, but after working with these business you do develop a friendship and reputation. But it does not mean that the forum members were soliciting or marketing for the business whatsoever. Because that was not the case.

People do have their favorites, and any business will have some instances where customers aren't happy. So looking and searching through here should help you shop with confidence.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
What you are alluding to is called shilling. It is against forum rules to be a party to this. Ella is always on the look out for shills and asks forum members to help if we see this happening. (she can't be on all threads all the time) There is a report tab on each post, top right hand corner of the page. She will either remove the post, thread or ban the shiller from speaking on the forum.

Occasionally a vendor will send a sale code to repeat customers via email. Accepting a code discount is not considered shilling.

Most people here buy from more than one vendor, thus spreading the wealth around. No one carries all the types and grades everyone wants in their collection. Even if they did buy from only one, doesn't mean they are a shill, it may be a trust issue or cheaper to buy in country.

I do agree, many of us have met the vendors socially and buy from them in person which may seem odd to some. I do find it helpful in planning what and where to buy my pearls from after seeing how they grade the pearls and the quality they carry in person. This comes at a great expense since I do not live near them.

Most all vendors give money back guarantees and will supply you with multiple photos of the pearls you will receive. This gives the buyer ample opportunity to see the pearls and judge them prior to buying. If you are not happy send them back. This customer service may be the reason most don't post negative reviews. The vendors want happy customers.

The Better Business Bureau is also a good place to check business practices for vendors here in the USA. I hope this helps.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I think some vendors are very, very good in establishing an eager clientele. Yes, they do have stellar customer service, but it's not just that. The PP sales and discounts system is just brilliant. The person who runs PP is clearly a brilliant entrepreneur, but also an excellent psychologist. PP should be studied in business schools.
I don't think the long-time customers of the main vendors here need any perks, they probably are just very happy customers.
(That said, I am fairly new to pearls myself and not an expert at all.)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There certainly is nothing surprising about people continuing to buy from businesses that have served them well in the past, whether they be B&M stores or online.

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
I don't purchase a whole lot dollar wise compared to some of the other pearl lovers on here; but, I can say I started my pearl collection a little over a year ago and based on the feedback from these forums I made most of my purchases at PP and one from POJ. All of the purchases were well worth the money and WAY cheaper and WAY better quality than what I could have gotten at local brick and mortar stores. I sing the praises of these two vendors based on my experiences buying from them and I get the same kind of treatment when I buy from Tiffany's (mostly silver from there) as well. I don't get any special treatment from any of these vendors; but, they have all developed such exceptional customer service that they make you feel as though you are super important and valued and like you are receiving the treatment that would normally be reserved for the high rollers at other types of vendors. There is a personal touch they add to their service that sets them apart from vendors who are simply looking to make a sale. They value each of their customers the same regardless of wether they are making a small or large purchase. I think this is what sets these vendors apart and why you see the same vendors being mentioned over and over again on the threads. I have a few other vendors I would love to purchase from as well if I can rustle up the money based on what I have seen here (Kamoka, Kojima, etc.)! The advice I have gotten on here has been top notch and I think the good reputation these vendors have earned has been due to their love of their customers and their product rather than any unscrupulous practices such as shilling. You can trust the reviews on PriceScope to be based on true buying experiences. I know I have and I have been very pleased with my purchases and let me just say a big THANK YOU to all the great people on here who take the time to post reviews on purchases, vendors and especially those who also post IRL pictures of their pearls! :appl: :wavey: :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, since I'm in the doghouse anyway, I'll mention the elephant in the room: There are also the YouTube and Facebook chats, the Ruckus, being featured in blogs, and personal relationships that go beyond being a customer. I have also experienced open bullying when as a newbie I wrote an honest comment that was perceived as negative. That seems to go beyond just being a happy and satisfied customer, and I can see why this would make some here uncomfortable.

I don't, however, see it as shilling. I see it as a level of emotional investment in which some people feel like certain vendors are family, and react to stuff that way. Family sometimes can't help but be overprotective of each other (and since tone is difficult to read in text, I mean that in the nicest possible way). The thing is, the vendors don't need it. Their work will speak for itself. All of them are outstanding! I have nothing but the highest regard for everyone I have been lucky enough to work with, many of whom have been recommended here.

I also see a lot of happy and satisfied customers. More often than not I'm one of them. I also see a lot of genuine joy in new purchases and happiness and support for each other here, and lots of good information. There are also lasting friendships. I feel really lucky to have found you all, and all of the vendors recommended here. Even with the occasional hiccups.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
cmd2014|1428636812|3859645 said:
Well, since I'm in the doghouse anyway, I'll mention the elephant in the room: There are also the YouTube and Facebook chats, the Ruckus, being featured in blogs, and personal relationships that go beyond being a customer. I have also experienced open bullying when as a newbie I wrote an honest comment that was perceived as negative. That seems to go beyond just being a happy and satisfied customer, and I can see why this would make some here uncomfortable.

I don't, however, see it as shilling. I see it as a level of emotional investment in which some people feel like certain vendors are family, and react to stuff that way. Family sometimes can't help but be overprotective of each other (and since tone is difficult to read in text, I mean that in the nicest possible way). The thing is, the vendors don't need it. Their work will speak for itself. All of them are outstanding! I have nothing but the highest regard for everyone I have been lucky enough to work with, many of whom have been recommended here.

I also see a lot of happy and satisfied customers. More often than not I'm one of them. I also see a lot of genuine joy in new purchases and happiness and support for each other here, and lots of good information. There are also lasting friendships. I feel really lucky to have found you all, and all of the vendors recommended here. Even with the occasional hiccups.

Cmd, well said. I was reading the posts you referred to at the time last year and would have weighed in to support you but was away and by the time I was able to post the conversation had moved on. I think your assessment is spot on.
The optics of the various positive vendor experiences people refer to may look a certain way when one is a newbie or lurker. Having said that, I myself just did a gushy piece on one vendor which I wonder is what started this thread, perhaps because most people don't know me here.
Anyway, I think it's complicated and understand the various perspectives and think you've been terrific at managing it and a very welcome person on this forum.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caro,

Please don't worry. This thread was not started in response to your posts about your CC purchases (which I am still revisiting BTW). It was the white metallic pearl thread that launched the question.

Thanks for your support. It's appreciated!

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I see. I hadn't read that thread until now.
Thanks for letting me know :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This will start slightly off topic, but I will get back on topic. Your question is a good one, and I will answer how a vendor gains my loyalty.

I just started collecting pearls, but I've mentioned that I was/am a colored stone (CS) collector. The service I have experienced in the online pearl world is really unparalleled compared to what you experience as a CS collector. The CS I collect are much more expensive per carat, yet the service is better in the online pearl world.

For example, 90-100 day return policies for online pearls contrasts with the common 10-day return policy (maximum 30) for CS. As a point, I just purchased a CS last night, and it comes with a 7-day inspection period. I don't expect that every pearl-related time buy is going to meet my expectations, but the generous return period (for me) balances out any disappointment I may have.

In terms of loyalty, which is the topic of the thread, my first purchases are always to test the waters, and if it goes well, it means I don't have to keep shopping around. Yes, I shopped at the often-recommended pearl vendors here on PS, but they delivered.

In contrast, I had my first custom setting made by a PS-favored diamond vendor, and they did not deliver. I would not do another custom piece with them, and I believe their strength lies in stock pieces, and selling diamonds that are a commodity. I would be willing to buy the latter from them.

I value vendors who have good service, good product, competitive pricing, and a pleasant demeanor. I wrote "competitive" price because I am willing to pay a little more if the other things are there. After I have found a few good vendors, I will not seek out new ones because I am lazy.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Another factor to consider wrt "trusted vendors" is that you are actually getting the item that's described. If you spend any time at all looking at pearls on eBay, you will know that sometimes the description can be deceptive.

If we buy Tahitians, we want Tahitians. Not Tahitian color black pearls. Etc.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
It's an interesting question, and one I've considered on the Colored Stones forum as well. A while back, I used a really popular CS vendor for one of my settings and was actually pretty disappointed. I later realized that if it hadn't been for the amount of positive PS feedback (particularly from one poster), I wouldn't have gone with that particular vendor. Nowadays, if I wouldn't go with a particular vendor based on website, off-site reviews, and pictures of previous work, I don't use that vendor.... even if PS reviews are glowing.

A more positive example I can share is Pearl Paradise. They do have their very vocal supporters on this forum, and when I checked them out online, I really liked the story of their history as well as the way they laid out their products and info on the website. I decided to buy from them, was happy with the product and service, and continue to buy from them. I don't mind that PS posters discuss them, and it's actually great because folks like 4RanchGirl are willing to spend their own time and energy helping other posters select from such a good vendor! And if I hadn't seen PP mentioned on this forum, I may never have found them.

I guess this is my long-winded way of saying that individual posters should use their own judgment and caution in choosing vendors. PS reviews and experiences are certainly helpful, but should not be a substitute for one's own judgment.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
blingbunny10|1428675889|3859833 said:
I guess this is my long-winded way of saying that individual posters should use their own judgment and caution in choosing vendors. PS reviews and experiences are certainly helpful, but should not be a substitute for one's own judgment.

Very well said! Although we are in the age of online shopping, it is still very helpful to know the experiences (good and bad) that other consumers (and prosumers) had. No matter what's being said on this forum or any other places, we are responsible for the decisions we make.

I am new to the pearl world. After reading on PS and a few other forums, I chose PP and PoJ to test the water. Honestly, I have had two cases of disappointments with PP and posted my questions here. All feedback I received were supportive and unbiased. In both cases, PP worked out satisfactory solutions for me.

Both PP and PoJ have excellent return policies - the only other places that I know to offer comparable return policies are Costco and Nordstrom. That is one of the reasons why they earned my loyalty. I've returned multiple pieces with PP and PoJ, never had any issues nor did that affect my later purchases from them.

When I visited PP in person, everyone who walks by the working table that I was sitting with my host greeted me by my FIRST NAME! I spent four hours there, and honestly, my purchases were not that huge in dollar, but my host was as nice and patient at the last minute, as when she first greeted me. How can I not like PP?

For PoJ, I really like that every time I call or email, Kevin always respond personally.

Trust me, I am a very picky consumer and demand the best for the bucks. Sometimes, even I would grow tired of myself. But PP and PoJ never did. I will go to vendors like them for anything I need - regardless which business they are in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results