shape
carat
color
clarity

Fortune Tellers

amc80

Ideal_Rock
The thread about a fortune teller and house hunting got me curious - have any of you visited one?

Some friends and I visited a palm reader four years ago (Feb 2009). She told me I would meet my future husband that fall an he would carry a badge.

DH is a deputy sheriff and our first date was the last day of fall, 2009.

She also said I would have two sons. Son #1 was born in August.

I'm not sure I believe this stuff, but it's awfully strange that she "saw" (Said? Made Up?) what she did.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't go to fortune tellers b/c if they tell me something good is gonna happen in my life,fine,but if they say something bad is gonna happen to you then it'll be on my mind no matter what.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Must like I feel about there being a god, I'm open to all possibilities. I don't think all fortune tellers are legit, if fortune telling actually exists, but I'm open to the realm that it exists. I do think some people have more insight into others and can "feel" things.

We went to see an animal communicator for a charity event for homeless pets, which hubby and I were laughing about and thought was "cute"...right until she told us that our older dog had been abused, that his right wrist had been hurt . He proceeded to put his right paw on the ledge above us when she was done tellling us that. *cue twilight zone music* I do find myself fulfilling the dogs' requests she communicated to us - the younger one likes sweet treats like berries and the older one hates my baby talk. ;-)

Kinda of off topic, there are a ton of psychics here in LA that rent prime real estate - I'm always amazed that the business is so lucrative!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's all complete BS but my husband would say otherwise. He was in college and his cousin wanted to visit a renowned face-reader. She was scared to go alone so he accompanied her. After the cousin's consultation, the face-reader randomly told a bunch of stuff to my DH without asking for payment and literally everything he said has come true! Some of the many things he said:

You will meet the woman you marry next month. (We started dating the following month.)
You will move to a cold country. (He moved to the Midwest in US for grad studies.)
Your first job will be in a company that transports things. (1st job he landed in campus interview was with FedEx!)

He said some other stuff that has not come to pass yet (You will have 2 kids. You will go into politics) but who knows.

People like me who don't believe this stuff would say DH was 'influenced' but the thing is, he's not a particularly easy-to-influence person... like... he's not going to stand for Mayor just because of something some random face-reader said KWIM?

Anyway, I avoid such people like the plague. :cheeky:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
In New Orleans, at Bottom of the Cup, I had my cards read.

Scarily on target. I was literally saying, "Oh My God!" after my reading.

I was talked into this by my friend, who had been to the same lady. I had listened to a tape of her reading; and that was weird. This lady knew my friend had a much older half-sister and that they had not grown up together. How????? This sister is barely a blip on my friend's radar; I've know her for 30+ years and I often forget she has a sister. They aren't close. At all. Ms. Fortune Teller didn't pick up any clues from my friend, of that I'm certain.

But, while I could probably dismiss most of what she said about me as generic and lucky, she did tell me that my mother would have a serious health issue concerning her blood pressure. She was very concerned, even though I told her my mother was healthy. Two years later, my mother was unable to be operated on because of extremely low blood pressure, and she died. That gave me pause . . .

I can't think of a decent explanation of how anyone can actually "see" or how a simple shuffle of cards could result in any truths about someone's life. Yet, some things defy any effort to understand them. As a Christian, I'm inclined to wonder if it really is all fun and games.

If you go to someone like this, even on a lark (which was why I did it), then be prepared for what you might hear.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Well I never went to see one. But that one I asked on the forum was right, I lost on the house(although that's really a 50/50% chance) =(
I do know someone who used to be friend with someone that reads things, and w/e she told her has came true. (meeting her husband etc)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubyshoes|1362166556|3393867 said:
Anyway, I avoid such people like the plague. :cheeky:

I do, too. I'm scared shitless of them. If something horrible is doomed to happen, I rather not know and live blissfully until such an event. If something miraculously wonderful will happen, I also would rather not know, and just enjoy it for the surprise it is.

But the people themselves also freak me out. Like. HOW do they know? WHO did they sell their souls to to have this "gift"?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Einstein said, & current scientists agree, that time is not linear. It is more like fabric that folds in & out; therefore it's probable that various parts of time are happening simultaneously. Possibly some people are more attuned to those physics. There are also people who can touch an object & see who owned or used it, where it's been. A lot of folks may claim & believe they have these gifts who do not. A few actually do & what they say proves true too specifically & often for chance.

It's natural, not evil. We fear what we don't understand. Just as some can see subtleties of color that others can't, some can see past or future. Another small example: I have perfect pitch; I can hear a note & know what it is -- through my childhood I thought everyone could. To me, knowing someone's playing C sharp is as obvious as knowing something is red or blue. In olden times I & others like me might have been burned at the stake. ;)) Some logical natural reason for psychic abilities exists -- we just don't know how yet.

I've never been to a fortune teller, mainly because the opportunity never arose & I'd be awfully picky as to whether or not she was genuine. Wouldn't rule it out in the future.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Einstein said, & current scientists agree, that time is not linear. It is more like fabric that folds in & out; therefore it's probable that various parts of time are happening simultaneously. Possibly some people are more attuned to those physics. There are also people who can touch an object & see who owned or used it, where it's been. A lot of folks may claim & believe they have these gifts who do not. A few actually do & what they say proves true too specifically & often for chance.

It's natural, not evil. We fear what we don't understand. Just as some can see subtleties of color that others can't, some can see past or future. Another small example: I have perfect pitch; I can hear a note & know what it is -- through my childhood I thought everyone could. To me, knowing someone's playing C sharp is as obvious as knowing something is red or blue. In olden times I & others like me might have been burned at the stake. ;)) Some logical natural reason for psychic abilities exists -- we just don't know how yet.

I've never been to a fortune teller, mainly because the opportunity never arose & I'd be awfully picky as to whether or not she was genuine. Wouldn't rule it out in the future.

--- Laurie

Laurie, you're 100% right on this. I agree completely.

You can go to a fortune teller, but listen carefully to your gut when selecting. You'll be able to "sense" when it's real or not, you don't actually have to see them in person, you can sense when you're near the building. If you think you can do it, you will. That's 99% of all the psychic abilities. When you realize it's as natural as breathing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe but I would never visit one because I would be too a. nervous about what the future might hold and wouldn't want to know anything bad (I think) and b. wouldn't know if the one I chose was for real.

The reason I believe is a close friend of mine whose family is from Ireland goes back every year to visit. And she always visited the same psychic when she was there. One year this psychic told her she was going to meet a foreign veterinarian and she would end up marrying him. Well, that's pretty specific don't you think? She didn't think anything of it but that year she met her now dh (in Brooklyn) who was a veterinarian in Ecuador. They have been happily married now for 7 years. Pretty cool story.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Missy-

They usually don't tell you if something really bad is going to happen.

ETA: I see a Mexican fortune teller in your future, Missy. :bigsmile: I do, actually . . . she's very good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1362321245|3395077 said:
Missy-

They usually don't tell you if something really bad is going to happen.

Thanks iLander. That's good to know. I am very curious about it and have mixed feelings about visiting a psychic.

The strange thing is I'm not sure that I don't want to know if something bad was about to happen. It's almost like if I know I can prepare and say goodbye to my loved ones and just get stuff in order. But OTOH I think it would ruin any time I had left in this world because I just wouldn't be able to compartmentalize the knowledge of what was about to happen with enjoying what time was left. So I am torn that way.

ETA:
ETA: I see a Mexican fortune teller in your future, Missy. I do, actually . . . she's very good.

ooh, thank you iLander! There is a psychic whose place we always pass on the Boardwalk at the jersey shore on our bicycles (in the spring/summer/fall so haven't been there since autumn) and I was always so tempted...she might be mexican but not sure. Her name is Madam Marie. Hmmmm. I will keep my eyes out for a mexican psychic whose path I might cross. Thanks again!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would LOVE to go to one! But I agree--- how do you know how to pick the right person and how much of it is vague/neutral stuff that could apply to anyone? I guess you go by personal recommendations...or as iLander says - you just 'sense' it and know that's the right one for you.

We have a psychic fair at least once a year here and I've been but they all looked so sleazy that I never bothered to have anything 'read'. It would be very interesting to find a good one that really had a natural talent for it - that would be SOOO interesting to go to!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I feel exactly the same, Enerchi. I'd be so interested to do it, but so many con artists are out there, how to know who's real?

In several articles about psychics who seem genuine, they've said anyone who charges money is probably not the real thing, that when you have that gift, it's not something you can sell. I suppose not all agree, though.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love watching Long Island Medium - she really seems to nail the person/situation right down - bang on!! Her nails are a tad distracting... ;)) ... but she sure seems to know her stuff and I love that show!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi- palm reader is the one you want.

Laurie- the tarot cards will not work for you the first time, try twice with different people.

I had my palm read once and the guy was so accurate it was scary. He said I was self-employed, had a good business, that I would someday live in two places at once (we bought a weekend home years later) and that someone who had died when I was 19 would be my guide through life (that was my mother). He also said that my religion line came into play later in life and would change the course of my life. Not sure how that last one will play out, unless I'm gong to become a nun or join a cult. :confused: I hope not on both of those!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1362322540|3395096 said:

Laurie- the tarot cards will not work for you the first time, try twice with different people.

I had my palm read once and the guy was so accurate it was scary. He said I was self-employed, had a good business, that I would someday live in two places at once (we bought a weekend home years later) and that someone who had died when I was 19 would be my guide through life (that was my mother). He also said that my religion line came into play later in life and would change the course of my life. Not sure how that last one will play out, unless I'm gong to become a nun or join a cult. :confused: I hope not on both of those!

Really? as opposed to tarot cards, ruins (runes?) or any other type? Why do you recommend palm - specific to you only because it is YOUR hand? Just curious! If we are heading to NYC and Chicago - know any places there that you'd suggest?

This is really piquing my curiosity!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi said:

Really? as opposed to tarot cards, ruins (runes?) or any other type? Why do you recommend palm - specific to you only because it is YOUR hand? Just curious! If we are heading to NYC and Chicago - know any places there that you'd suggest?

This is really piquing my curiosity!

I was thinking of the psychic fair near you. Some people get a strong reading with cards, some with palms, some with the I Ching. You strike me as palm person, or your palm reader there is good, I don't know which. NYC is terrible for readings, they can't tell a thing with all that background consciousness of all those people, a real psychic would find the place too painful. I don't think of myself as a psychic, but all the thought noise makes it so hard for me to sleep there, I'm exhausted 24/7. Don't know about Chicago.

Weird side story; I do sometimes sense things about people, and a lady passed me in a restaurant, and I just knew she killed people. It was awful, the sense of dark and black was so strong. I wasn't even looking at her, she walked by the table, I was in the middle of a sentence, and BOOM! She was middle-aged, heavyset, smiling, happy, but the sense of death was so strong, completely out of left field, I freaked out. I then guessed that she was a nurse, that she thought was doing good. One minute, enjoying lunch, the next minute :shock: :!: Never had that happen before. Never did find out if I was right . . .

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG,! That's uber creepy!! Thanks for the info on the palm reader, iLander. I think the fair is over but I'll keep watch.. Maybe it's more in the spring than the winter.

I do have a friend who is big into this and I think I'm going to give her a call. Maybe we'll plan a palm date! I'm intrigued now ...

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
iLander! do you see me buying a house any time soon? We been seeking but keep getting out bid by cash offers =(

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1362321050|3395073 said:
One year this psychic told her she was going to meet a foreign veterinarian and she would end up marrying him. Well, that's pretty specific don't you think? She didn't think anything of it but that year she met her now dh (in Brooklyn) who was a veterinarian in Ecuador. They have been happily married now for 7 years. Pretty cool story.

Amazing!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

iLander, is that a prediction or advice? What about palm reading or tea leaves?

--- Laurie

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting topic. I do believe that many people have a gift. My mom is very intuned to things but struggles with using it because she is a Christian and feels it is a dark talent. I often will dream or think about someone I haven't seen or thought of in years and will run into them within a couple of weeks.

I had my tarot cards read for fun many years ago. It was shortly after my 1st husband & I seperated. I didn't share anything with the reader. She was spot on on everything. She pegged my current situation & all that she predicted came to pass. I still have her words echoing in my mind from that night-What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Those words got me through many trials in the couple years following my divorce. Wish I could find her again but it was 19 yrs ago.

Ilander-It must be difficult for you to sense things without being able to say anything. I too have had dark feelings about people and can't quite put my finger on it. I follow my intuition alot. I have never had as strong a feeling as you did about that woman. Must be hard to wrap your mind around.

Should I persue getting a reading?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread and I would love to go but I fall into the makes me nervous category. I think I'd be pretty easy to read - I wear who I am pretty openly. But what if there is nothing good to say? What if they struggle to find something positive to say and you see they are struggling? Eeek! I don't know what I'd do if I saw them reading and all of a sudden a dark cloud of a look appeared on their face.

iLander, it doesn't seem fair to me that your ability "tunes in" when you least expect it...I would absolutely be shocked and scared if I was in a restaurant and got such a dark feeling from someone like that woman, and I would feel helpless too, like what if she could sense that I could sense? :o :o

I've only gotten that evil from one person once in my life on a train in Italy where we encountered a team of pick pockets. I was pretty sure it was them but when he looked at me, there was pure evil dead in his eyes. I couldn't even talk I was so scared. That was 30 years ago and I will never forget it...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1362337565|3395250 said:
Ilander-It must be difficult for you to sense things without being able to say anything.
This! This this this. I inherited a few "gifts" from the maternal side of my family. One that mystifies me is the ability to tell when someone (including animals) is going to die. I suppose it's a form of fortune telling. It happens most often with people & animals who are acquaintances more than it does with people with whom I share a strong emotional bond. It also happens with famous people when I see them on TV or see a picture in a print medium. The deaths always occur within 3 days of when I see a veil, sort of like a cataract, come over their eyes.

What am I supposed to do with that, say "hey, I see a veil on your eyes, hope your affairs are in order?" One time I tried to intervene and told a former supervisor, who always brought her dog to work, not to let her dog out that night because she would die. The dog had a tendency to roam. She looked at me like I was one brick shy of a full load, ignored my plea, and the dog was hit by a car that night and found dead in the gutter 2 blocks from home by another employee. I still see that sweet pooches face and remember when the veils came down. I think the dog knew but obviously can't prove that. So she died doing what made her happy, cruising her neighborhood. Maybe that's what mattered more than keeping her alive.

Friends who know and have witnessed this ability have asked that I don't say anything if I see a veil in their eyes. I'm still trying to figure out what value it can possibly be to others and what lessons I'm supposed to learn from it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1362342061|3395315 said:
woofmama|1362337565|3395250 said:
Ilander-It must be difficult for you to sense things without being able to say anything.
This! This this this. I inherited a few "gifts" from the maternal side of my family. One that mystifies me is the ability to tell when someone (including animals) is going to die. I suppose it's a form of fortune telling. It happens most often with people & animals who are acquaintances more than it does with people with whom I share a strong emotional bond. It also happens with famous people when I see them on TV or see a picture in a print medium. The deaths always occur within 3 days of when I see a veil, sort of like a cataract, come over their eyes.

What am I supposed to do with that, say "hey, I see a veil on your eyes, hope your affairs are in order?" One time I tried to intervene and told a former supervisor, who always brought her dog to work, not to let her dog out that night because she would die. The dog had a tendency to roam. She looked at me like I was one brick shy of a full load, ignored my plea, and the dog was hit by a car that night and found dead in the gutter 2 blocks from home by another employee. I still see that sweet pooches face and remember when the veils came down. I think the dog knew but obviously can't prove that. So she died doing what made her happy, cruising her neighborhood. Maybe that's what mattered more than keeping her alive.

Friends who know and have witnessed this ability have asked that I don't say anything if I see a veil in their eyes. I'm still trying to figure out what value it can possibly be to others and what lessons I'm supposed to learn from it.

Matata: I am not sure whether this is a blessing or a curse. I am sure you carry it off with your typical aplomb and wisdom, but I would find it unsettling and would not know at all what to do with the information - just as you explained with the dogs owner. I know that I would likely feel somehow culpable, as stupid as that sounds. I am sorry because I truly think that would be a hard gift to have... :blackeye:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1362342404|3395321 said:
I know that I would likely feel somehow culpable, as stupid as that sounds. I am sorry because I truly think that would be a hard gift to have... :blackeye:
Bingo! It's not stupid. I feel culpable when I'm aware of a behavior that may make the prediction come true -- like the dog. But 99% of the time, it's just a surety that the person will die soon. Sometimes I see it in people in the grocery store. I stalk them to checkout and then ask the next cashier over to find out the bill and I pay for the groceries swearing the cashier to secrecy. I figure maybe that's the last random act of kindness that person may experience and it helps me deal with the helplessness I feel. I empathize with what iLander goes through having knowledge that someone is a mercy killer and not being able to do much about it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1362343253|3395343 said:
I know that I would likely feel somehow culpable, as stupid as that sounds. I am sorry because I truly think that would be a hard gift to have... :blackeye:
Bingo! It's not stupid. I feel culpable when I'm aware of a behavior that may make the prediction come true -- like the dog. But 99% of the time, it's just a surety that the person will die soon. Sometimes I see it in people in the grocery store. I stalk them to checkout and then ask the next cashier over to find out the bill and I pay for the groceries swearing the cashier to secrecy. I figure maybe that's the last random act of kindness that person may experience and it helps me deal with the helplessness I feel. I empathize with what iLander goes through having knowledge that someone is a mercy killer and not being able to do much about it.

I hope some day to meet you, Matata; it will be my honor.

You see? This is why I keep coming back to PS - it often has so little to do with bling!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not believe in any of this.

I could be convinced though, if a reader could pass some flavor of this test. Ten subjects are read. The reader gets whatever she needs to to do the reading--videos of the palms, birthday and hour. Maybe the reader gets to meet the subjects. Maybe the subjects sit in front of the reader, but are blindfolded and wear earplugs so they cannot see the reading.

To the extent that the reader can get info from the process, the subjects are similar. For example, you would not expect the fortune of a 90 year old man born in Berlin to much like the fortune of a 17 year woman born in Los Angeles. So you would not put both such people in your group if an astrologer needs that info.

Another easy way to simplify it would be to have some sort of multiple choice test. "Did your parents die before age 12?" "What was your grandmother's name?" The reader could chat with the subjects at length so long as certain subjects were verboten.

All ten people are given all ten readings. They pick the one that fits them best. Or the multiple choice tests are scored and it's determined if the right one is the high score. Pass is seven of ten.

There are many variants and the tests are set up to meet the needs of the reader as much as possible.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1362343253|3395343 said:

Wow Matata-that must be so unsettling for you. Do you believe in the afterlife? Is there a sense of foreboding when you see it or is it a factual kind of feeling? My nephew is a paramedic and has been at the scene when people are dying. One man who suffered a heart attack looked at him & said he could see the devils and they were coming for him. He died a minute later. Makes my hair stand on end. My sis is a nurse & impressed upon her son that in his profession, there will be many times where my nephews face will be the last thing a dying soul will see.
Maybe you should say something-tell them to make peace with god? IDK-very eery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results