shape
carat
color
clarity

Fortune cookie experiences wanted

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I never used to until today...

Yesterday I had a hankerin'' for some Wonton soup from a local Chinese food restaurant
chowtimeguy.gif
. It was good by the way. So I ordered it for takeout, picked it up, and headed home to eat it (I swear I am getting to the point).

I''m done eating and I decide to open my fortune cookie, and it read (my apologies, I REALLY tried finding a fortune cookie emoticon for you):
"This coming Friday will be an exciting time for you"

Now...today, I go to drop off updated contact info to a school district and drop off another job app at the same school district but for a different position (I just moved 400 miles north of where I used to live to be with my bf of 15 years and I am searching for a job in this area). I hand the woman my info (my goodness she was SLOW) and she kept going back and forth to another woman in the back of the office. All of a sudden she comes up to me and asks:"Would you like to come in for an interview this Friday at 3:30pm?"
ohno.gif

Uh - yeah!

Now, usually, when I eat Chinese and eat fortune cookies, I am with another person (my bf) or with other people like friends or family and we always read them out loud (and always add "in bed" at the end of each fortune cookie reading)...I was alone and didn''t even tell my bf (which I REALLY wanted to do but I intentionally didn''t just to see if something was really going to happen!).

I am absolutely amazed and just wanted to share and ask, have any of you had any wonderful fortune cookie experiences?
31.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, no I haven''t, but I have to tell you that as a family we always open them up and everyone "chooses" the fate they want. This started when the kids were small because they used to want each other''s nearly every time. It''s funny to watch them as teens still doing it. It goes something like this:

Me: Oh, here''s one you''d like dd, want it?
dd: No, I think that one''s good for ds. Ds, you think so?
ds: Yeah, I like that one.
Dh: Who wants mine?
etc, lol.

I did get a chance to see some being made in a shop in SF one time. Really neat. Unfortunately, I don''t like the taste of the things---toooo sweet.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and congrats on the job offer!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I have one! On one of my very first dates with my fiance, he took me for chinese food on the way to meet his sisters. He is 3 years younger than me and was only 20 at the time, and while I was madly in love with him, he was trying hard not to get too serious with me. Anyway, my fortune at the restaurant read "your romance will be a long and lasting one" and I took it as a sign and was very excited to show him (he kind of rolled his eyes and looked a little scared lol). I kept the fortune and later put it in with a photo of us that I kept beside my bed. So anyway, we continued to date for two years after that but he always felt like he wasn''t ready for marriage and kids and wanted to focus on his career and eventually broke up with me and I went home to my own province broken-hearted. We didn''t speak a word to each other for 2 years after he said goodbye (his idea), and I tried very hard to forget him and eventually moved on with my life. I dated a bit here and there but never found anyone with whom I felt such a deep connection. I ended up going back to his province almost exactly two years later to see a mutual friend, and he came down to see me and almost immediately (about an hour into seeing him again) took me aside and apologized for what he had done and told me (for the first time ever!) that he loved me and wanted to get married to me oneday. He was shocked when I told him that I still had the picture with the fortune on it in my purse . Long story short, I forgave him probably far too quickly lol, but we have been together ever since and are now happily engaged. So I think sometimes fortunes really do come true.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 8:34:30 PM
Author:Elegant
I never used to until today...

Yesterday I had a hankerin'' for some Wonton soup from a local Chinese food restaurant
chowtimeguy.gif
. It was good by the way. So I ordered it for takeout, picked it up, and headed home to eat it (I swear I am getting to the point).

I''m done eating and I decide to open my fortune cookie, and it read (my apologies, I REALLY tried finding a fortune cookie emoticon for you):
''This coming Friday will be an exciting time for you''

Now...today, I go to drop off updated contact info to a school district and drop off another job app at the same school district but for a different position (I just moved 400 miles north of where I used to live to be with my bf of 15 years and I am searching for a job in this area). I hand the woman my info (my goodness she was SLOW) and she kept going back and forth to another woman in the back of the office. All of a sudden she comes up to me and asks:''Would you like to come in for an interview this Friday at 3:30pm?''
ohno.gif

Uh - yeah!

Now, usually, when I eat Chinese and eat fortune cookies, I am with another person (my bf) or with other people like friends or family and we always read them out loud (and always add ''in bed'' at the end of each fortune cookie reading)...I was alone and didn''t even tell my bf (which I REALLY wanted to do but I intentionally didn''t just to see if something was really going to happen!).

I am absolutely amazed and just wanted to share and ask, have any of you had any wonderful fortune cookie experiences?
31.gif
I have one! i got engaged 3 weeks ago.. we went hiking and he did it on top of a fire tower.. anyway, we were STARVING so we got some take out chinese... his fortune read "you are about to embark on a Marvelous Adventure". I rolled it up and put it in my ring box... so fitting!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, these are great stories!

I actually ended up being offered a teaching job from this interview. The interviewer submitted paperwork that day to request me...I have to wait though because I need to talk to her about my concern that the district doesn''t offer medical benefits, just dental and vision...

Thanks fortune cookie!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
What great news. I hope you can work out the insurance glitch! I''m going to get some fortune cookies now!
28.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was in college, I found a fortune cookie fortune on the street. It said, "You will receive some high prize or award." A few days later, I won the fellowship that enabled me to attend graduate school. I still have the fortune.
2.gif

I always save good fortunes as little talismans (but in my head, they only work if you eat at least part of the cookie, no matter how full you are). Bad ones? I burn. My favorite bad one is one that I got out at dinner with a bunch of friends: it said, "Do not worry about attaining a high position: worry only about keeping your proper role." I read it aloud, dead silence ... and then one of my friends says, "Okay, who paid off the kitchen to give her *that* one?" Needless to say, it was ash five minutes outside of the restaurant.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 4:22:49 PM
Author: Miranda
36.gif
What great news. I hope you can work out the insurance glitch! I''m going to get some fortune cookies now!
28.gif
I hope so too - I should also buy a box too.

Yeah, I always wondered about eating the cookie - my bf won''t eat his...tsk, tsk, tsk...

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have one!

It was my first week at San Diego State University. I xferred to this school after a stint at UCLA and Community College. Didn''t really know what to major in at first so decided to take a bunch of courses at the CC (couldn''t get any "interesting ones" at UCLA
20.gif
). Ended up that I really liked Telecommunications/TV/Film so I decided to dedicate myself to that, but couldn''t do so at UCLA because it was impacted (go figure). So I had to xfer to SDSU. (Well, USC was my first choice but, couldn''t secure enough financial aid and had to decline the acceptance)

OK, i''m really digressing here. Sorry!

So i had Chinese food for one of my first dinners. I''m kinda crabby and homesick, wondering if I made a mistake leaving L.A to go to SD. Am I on the right path? Will I be successful in my major? Ya know, all questions that co-eds ask themselves. I open the fortune cookie, and it reads... YOU COULD PROSPER IN THE FIELD OF ENTERTAINMENT. snap!

Silly as it sounds, it gave me a boost. And yep, i''ve been working in entertainment since moving home to L.A in 1995 after college.
9.gif

I have that fortune in a teeny frame on my office desk- it''s followed me from gig to gig.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 4:38:42 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I have one!

It was my first week at San Diego State University. I xferred to this school after a stint at UCLA and Community College. Didn''t really know what to major in at first so decided to take a bunch of courses at the CC (couldn''t get any ''interesting ones'' at UCLA
20.gif
). Ended up that I really liked Telecommunications/TV/Film so I decided to dedicate myself to that, but couldn''t do so at UCLA because it was impacted (go figure). So I had to xfer to SDSU. (Well, USC was my first choice but, couldn''t secure enough financial aid and had to decline the acceptance)

OK, i''m really digressing here. Sorry!

So i had Chinese food for one of my first dinners. I''m kinda crabby and homesick, wondering if I made a mistake leaving L.A to go to SD. Am I on the right path? Will I be successful in my major? Ya know, all questions that co-eds ask themselves. I open the fortune cookie, and it reads... YOU COULD PROSPER IN THE FIELD OF ENTERTAINMENT. snap!

Silly as it sounds, it gave me a boost. And yep, i''ve been working in entertainment since moving home to L.A in 1995 after college.
9.gif

I have that fortune in a teeny frame on my office desk- it''s followed me from gig to gig.
How neat!

Um, did you eat your cookie?
41.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 4:46:10 PM
Author: Elegant

Date: 7/18/2008 4:38:42 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I have one!

It was my first week at San Diego State University. I xferred to this school after a stint at UCLA and Community College. Didn't really know what to major in at first so decided to take a bunch of courses at the CC (couldn't get any 'interesting ones' at UCLA
20.gif
). Ended up that I really liked Telecommunications/TV/Film so I decided to dedicate myself to that, but couldn't do so at UCLA because it was impacted (go figure). So I had to xfer to SDSU. (Well, USC was my first choice but, couldn't secure enough financial aid and had to decline the acceptance)

OK, i'm really digressing here. Sorry!

So i had Chinese food for one of my first dinners. I'm kinda crabby and homesick, wondering if I made a mistake leaving L.A to go to SD. Am I on the right path? Will I be successful in my major? Ya know, all questions that co-eds ask themselves. I open the fortune cookie, and it reads... YOU COULD PROSPER IN THE FIELD OF ENTERTAINMENT. snap!

Silly as it sounds, it gave me a boost. And yep, i've been working in entertainment since moving home to L.A in 1995 after college.
9.gif

I have that fortune in a teeny frame on my office desk- it's followed me from gig to gig.
How neat!

Um, did you eat your cookie?
41.gif
Hell yeah!

So, your interview is next Friday? Sending you PS dust!

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
I have one too!

I was actually with ex SO (turned out that we were better off as friends) in college and we were at our favorite Chinese restaurant where I was meeting his parents for the first time. We had been together officially for a month or less.

The bill comes along with our cookies and ex opens his. He reads it: "Stop searching for happiness, it''s sitting right next to you." Fortunately we were sitting next to each other (as opposed to across), so the whole table got quite a kick out of it. We put it in a frame along with a picture of us and we were together for about 4 years...

Wish this was a story about my DF but it''s still a cute story!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
About twelve years ago ( time sure flies! ) I was about to go away for a year long trip to Asia. So the night before I left I went out to a Chinese restaurant with my family and my fortune cookie said something along the lines of " you will recieve an important letter ". Anyway when we got back to my mothers house that evening a friend of mine had left a letter and a little good luck charm in it to take with me on my travels
1.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
ChargerGrrl - No I already had my interview. I got offered the job too, but the thing is it doesn''t offer medical insurance like most school districts. I do have an interview lined up on Monday next week, so I will take your dust and sprinkle it on me for some luck for next week! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results