shape
carat
color
clarity

Formal Afternoon Wedding Attire?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Hi all. Hopefully some of you will have some advice for me.

I am attending my brother-in-law's wedding in October. My husband is in the wedding and will be wearing a full tux. Normally that would mean a long dress or fancy cocktail one... BUT... I just looked at the invite and the ceremony starts at 2:30 PM. That's early, in my head, to be really really decked out. What is appropriate for an afternoon wedding where guys will be in tuxedos?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
If you can, check. Groomsmen in tuxedos doesn't necessarily mean black tie anymore, as I learned this summer when attending a few weddings. Especially in the afternoon, I might choose a cocktail length dress; an especially fancy summer dress (not a 'sundress', but not a LBD either, if that makes any sense). Do you know if it's indoors or outdoors? This makes a difference in my mind, too.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I would say that the groomsmen wore tuxes in almost every wedding I've been to in the past few years, whether it was a garden party or an indoor, formal affair. I would also say that other than perhaps the bridesmaids, MOB and MOG, pretty much everyone wore knee-length or tea-length dresses. I don't see many wedding guests in long dresses these days.

My go-to wedding outfit is a simple, knee-length dress I can dress up with jewelry or dress down with a cardigan or shawl if need be.

Anyway, if there's any doubt, I would ask the host if you can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sonny, did the invite say "Black Tie"? If not then you're OK to wear whatever (within reason) you like. But if my dh is wearing a tux I wouldn't mind getting dressed up as well and a beautiful cocktail dress sounds like a good solution. Have fun!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, gals!

The invitation actually doesn't mention dress at all. I actually did ask the bride and she said "wear what you want!" but I never know if the bride really means that lol. I do wonder if the reception is right after the ceremony or not. I feel like they must have time (plenty) allotted for pictures or something because that would be an early reception considering she told me that she is going to "stay up all night". I think I'll stick with a fun but not-too-flashy cocktail dress.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always just wear some semblance of a black dress. Since I'm on the shorter side, it's easier for me to buy shorter dresses than longer ones if I want to avoid a trip to the tailor. My goal is to be nondescript and neatly dressed. :saint:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1346129088|3258330 said:

Thanks, Gypsy! I have a Nordstrom's literally across the street from my house, so I think I'll do some exploring over there in the next few weeks.

I did confirm with the bride that there is not a break between the ceremony and reception. Ceremony starts at 2:30, end around 3:00, then there is a cocktail hour while the bridal party/groomsman take photos until 4:00, then the reception starts. I gotta say, in *my* head that's an early dinner reception but my experience attending weddings is very limited (I've attended four, and my husband and I eloped so it doesn't count!). The pressure is on a little since she said that she will be including spouses of family in the family shots (i.e. me) so I want to make extra sure I look appropriate.

This is a weird question for the brides out there... should I know what the bridesmaid colors are? I mean, would it bug you to have someone in your pictures that was NOT a bridesmaid being in a similar color dress? Or is that way over-thinking it? I have far more experience watching Bridezillas and TLC shows than I do attending ACTUAL weddings so I don't know how much real-life brides think about this stuff.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally as long as no one wore white, ivory, champagne, light gold or sliver... I was fine.

TrinneanArcher

Rough_Rock
It's a afternoon wedding so short sweetheart dress would be ideal. Short dresses being different from the traditional would be great and comforting for afternoon. As per the looks is concern, sweetheart neckline dresses are in the trend and would be nice to wear for the wedding.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results