clarity

Forevermark Diamond

Should I purchase this?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Juslove1110

Rough_Rock
My local jeweler offered me this Forevermark Diamond 1.01 VS2 H Color Medium Blue Fluro. I am tempted to buy it for the price and the fact they can set the stone and have it done by X-mas. I know there are some better options online but they placed this actual stone in my setting for me since they have a jeweler on had and it looked pretty nice. They are asking only $5,900 so it doesn't have the ridiculous retail mark up of a forever mark diamond and while I have read and know it is mostly marketing I still like the idea of her getting to register her specific diamond online and for security how it has the patented serial number/forever mark logo inside it.
I am kind of rambling on now but what do you guys think of this diamond for the price and also I have not seen a super ideal or diamond that has better angles in person and how much more sparkle would those have in person? Other minor concern the certificate has a date on it of 6/28/16 does that really mean its been sitting there for that long not being able to be sold? forever mark.jpg forever mark.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't read the grading report. Can you type the angles out for us that are on the diamond?

Relative to the date, the diamond was probably traded-in (but some large percent of the diamonds on the market were previously owned). I would ask them to send the diamond back to Forevermark for grading/confirmation it is in the condition as when graded. No chips or damage.

On the registration, if I'm correct, someone may have already registered the diamond. So, I'm not sure they offer many services to a second owner.

Juslove1110

Rough_Rock
forever mark2.jpg I posted the same picture twice on accident 62.3%Depth 57% Table 35.4 crown angle 40.9 pavillion angle

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
forever mark2.jpg I posted the same picture twice on accident 62.3%Depth 57% Table 35.4 crown angle 40.9 pavillion angle
The angles don't really work together for maximum performance. It has leakage and would likely not get a GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal for cut with these numbers. Not a stone I'd pursue, personally.

Did you view the diamond outside of the store lighting? I suspect that it will look dark/grey under more natural lighting. But, can you get a ASET image? If the store does not have one, you can buy your own and take your own images to post here.

https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/aset-kit/

It takes a bit of fiddling, but worth doing.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. Don't despair. It can take time to get a good diamond.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.
table: 52-57.5 (but I personally prefer under 57)
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Then, run those four numbers through the HCA tool and reject anything greater than 2.0 (1.0 is not better than 1.9, this is used to simply reject stones). What you have left are worth pursuing and obtaining an Idealscope (IS; https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope) or better yet, an ASET (https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what-aset-reveals-ideal-scope-does-not). We use the IS or ASET to evaluate light return.

If they can give you Hearts & Arrows images, that helps evaluate the cut and symmetry -- but does not replace an ASET or IS which will tell you about leakage. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/hearts-and-arrows-diamonds

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree that the angles aren’t in the zone we would recommend. That being said, I checked out forevermark diamonds when I was shopping and thought they were all gorgeous. The markup was insane so I moved on to Whiteflash. What does your eye say?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Angles aren't the best. What rocky has posted above is the sweet spot.

Forevermark stones have looked brilliant when I have examined them in store under jeweller's lights. Once I've taken them out of jeweller's lighting, some have been beautiful (and pricey) and others have looked like bog-standard mall/chain store stones. YMMV IMHO with Forevermark. Only would consider them if the retailer was having a sale (as one did down here about 3-4 months ago and I saw 40% off all Forevermark stones in-stock).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that a IGI report?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that Forevermark diamonds all have in-house De Beers grading reports rather than ones from GIA, HRD, IGI, etc.

Juslove1110

Rough_Rock
My understanding is that Forevermark diamonds all have in-house De Beers grading reports rather than ones from GIA, HRD, IGI, etc.
Yea they are all graded by de beers which makes me a little skeptical since the ones selling them are grading them. I passed on this i actually purchased a cute above diamond from whiteflash
p.s. Don't despair. It can take time to get a good diamond.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.
table: 52-57.5 (but I personally prefer under 57)
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Then, run those four numbers through the HCA tool and reject anything greater than 2.0 (1.0 is not better than 1.9, this is used to simply reject stones). What you have left are worth pursuing and obtaining an Idealscope (IS; https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope) or better yet, an ASET (https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what-aset-reveals-ideal-scope-does-not). We use the IS or ASET to evaluate light return.

If they can give you Hearts & Arrows images, that helps evaluate the cut and symmetry -- but does not replace an ASET or IS which will tell you about leakage. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/hearts-and-arrows-diamonds
Thanks for that i

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Forevermark diamonds are simply 'branded' diamonds from a certain chain jeweller. They're NOT super-ideal cuts - there is a very loose criteria for what constitutes a forevermark diamond - i.e. triple excellent on the GIA certificate but can be anywhere in that range. The rest is just 'marketing' as well as branding with an internal mark and internal discussion is just that. They're as good (or average) as any other GIA triple excellent. You're better off bringing your own ideal scope as thats the only real way to work out where on the spectrum it is.

Don't get fooled by the ForeverMark branding.

I would choose whitefish over forevermark in a heartbeat. Although I have bought a forevermark pendant that I got lucky once with both light performance and angles - and was also 30% off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results