shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who like steaks...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Elizabeth35 one of the restaurants I like in the West End of London normally has onglet steak which I believe is another name for hanger steak on their set menu, and it is what I normally choose if it is available.

They also make the best triple cooked chips that I have ever eaten.

DK :))

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Filet, medium rare. I used to go for the NY strip, but I’ve evolved. My husband isn’t a steak person, so I never make it at home but get it all the time when we’re out. I’ve had good luck with Sullivans at the higher end and at the lower end Texas Roadhouse.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is making me hungry!! Thankfully we are having steak for dinner tonight!

We like buying steak from Costco as it's a great value. My preference is for prime rib eye cap (for the marbling) or filet (it's healthier since there's less fat), cooked medium rare with some truffle salt, and asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes as sides. DH usually cooks the steaks in a sous vide and finishes it by searing with a blow torch. I also like using skirt steak for a stir fry.

My brother is also into cooking and steaks, so we are going to have a "Steak Off." DH will use the sous vide, while my brother prefers using a cast iron. We will use the same cut of steak and see which one turns out better!

I also love Japanese A5 Wagyu on special occasions, as it is so buttery and melts in your mouth. DH wants to special order some to cook at home, but I think it's too expensive and feel that my heart is getting clogged with each bite! (I usually cut the fat off my steaks as it's healthier.)

I don't tend to order steaks when I'm out at restaurants either, unless it's a very high end restaurant. Like DK, we can cook a steak often better at home. The steaks even at high end restaurants also often end up over cooked, so I ask for it more rare than medium rare. I prefer to order dishes that I can't easily make at home!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
eating a piece of fat with specks of meat in it

This describes the best Iberico around here (Granada. SP); it is an important part of my diet, right up there with raw cod marinated in new olive oil, etc.
I care for steak if it is lamb; it doesn't even need salt, IMHO.

I hear you, @Rockdiamond ,( I had no idea cow is edible until I crossed The Pond.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best steak I ever had was a Rubia Galega rib eye aged for 45 days on Himalayan salt blocks. The appetiser for it was a candle made from beef tallow and sea salt. As the candle melted you would eat the drippings with bread. It sounds completely ridiculous and excessive but it was amazing. Rubia Galega is a type of cattle from northwestern Spain which feeds on salt marsh/pastures. The meat was very strong in flavor and umami, extremely beefy and funky and caramelized notes. It's the polar opposite of wagyu which has soft texture and a mild delicate flavor. It wasn't for the faint of heart. I don't eat much meat these days but that was an amazing meal. I've had wagyu in Japan like Kobe, Omi, Matsusaka and I also tried Korean Hanwoo beef, as well as the usual US, Canadian, UK and Australian beef etc but the one that really stood out to me was the Rubia Galega.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last christmas we went to Meatmarket steak house. Amazingly good. I tend to stick with fillet Mignon As much as I like steak, the more fat on it, the more I have issues with it. Also Taboo has great fillet. I tend to order medium which usually comes out rare...lol I'm good with that.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This describes the best Iberico around here (Granada. SP); it is an important part of my diet, right up there with raw cod marinated in new olive oil, etc.
I care for steak if it is lamb; it doesn't even need salt, IMHO.

I hear you, @Rockdiamond ,( I had no idea cow is edible until I crossed The Pond.

If only Iberico pork were readily available around here! It has to be ordered through high end butcher shops. I have a deep fondness for secreto Iberico. There’s a piece in my freezer that I’ve been saving for a special occasion.

I also have a full leg of jamon Iberico de bellota that I’ve been hoarding since Christmas. If I get quarantined at home, I’ll park myself in front of it with a knife and a good glass of wine!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Elizabeth35 one of the restaurants I like in the West End of London normally has onglet steak which I believe is another name for hanger steak on their set menu, and it is what I normally choose if it is available.

They also make the best triple cooked chips that I have ever eaten.

Did I just hear you say 'venue for a UK GTG'? ;-) :D

The best steak I ever had was a Rubia Galega rib eye aged for 45 days on Himalayan salt blocks. The appetiser for it was a candle made from beef tallow and sea salt. As the candle melted you would eat the drippings with bread. It sounds completely ridiculous and excessive but it was amazing. Rubia Galega is a type of cattle from northwestern Spain which feeds on salt marsh/pastures. The meat was very strong in flavor and umami, extremely beefy and funky and caramelized notes. It's the polar opposite of wagyu which has soft texture and a mild delicate flavor. It wasn't for the faint of heart. I don't eat much meat these days but that was an amazing meal. I've had wagyu in Japan like Kobe, Omi, Matsusaka and I also tried Korean Hanwoo beef, as well as the usual US, Canadian, UK and Australian beef etc but the one that really stood out to me was the Rubia Galega.
That sounds AMAZING :love:

There's such a massive over-emphasis on Vegan everything in the UK at the moment, it seems - how much is 'virtue signalling' and how much is the BBC (British Biased Corporation? :lol:) doing its leftie thing, I don't know... but either way, it just makes one want to reassert the desire for good quality meat-based protein!

No disrespect for those who choose to not eat meat, of course :)

Me? Gotta be super-lean. Gotta be rare. Ideally served naked (the meat - not the serving staff :lol:), with the aforementioned triple-cooked chips and Heinz tomato ketchup :tongue:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@JPie I so hear you... I am heading to a work breakfast of precisely that. Fair enough about quarantine!

@mochiko42 I will have to try. There is allot of fish dried on salt here, no beef; I have not meat a cured meat I did not like yet.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My baby girl (now 26) has a very "to the point" personality. When she was about seven we went to dinner and a friend asked her what she wanted to eat.
"Steak", she replied.
"How do you want that cooked?" my friend asked.
"Wet."
Baby girl always knew the value of a good juicy steak.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scotch fillet or ribeye, MSA graded (quality control), BBQ medium-rare with loads of Dijon mustard and some greens. Matched with a glass of velvety smooth vintage red wine. :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to cook a stake in the oven for a very long time. Unfortunately, I couldn’t because my mitts where ripped and I was getting burned every time I cooked something in the oven. Also they were too big for my hand and it was very uncomfortable to cook with them.

ouch

inne

Shiny_Rock
I don't eat steak often and usually just get a rare filet mignon. But the best steak I've ever had was a chateaubriand at Barberian's. I was not expecting much, but wow, it was incredible!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steak sauce repertoire:

Blue Cheese (usually Stilton)
Diane
Pink Peppercorn
Green Peppercorn
Garlic Butter (not sure if this counts as a sauce)
Black Butter with Capers

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is decidedly a low rent steak sauce, but I found out last year you could whip up an A1 type steak sauce at home using equal parts ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Yum, this is a good thread!

My favorite steak is a good filet. Liberally salted and peppered, seared in cast iron, finished in the oven. Medium rare. Love a blue cheese crust. Or, if we are ever out in a restaurant again, a horseradish cream sauce. Mmmmmm.

My husband has perfected sautéed mushrooms to serve on the side, and the combo is absolutely heaven. Add a salad and some sort of potato and it is otherworldly.

We don’t eat red meat super often anymore—we mostly stick to chicken and fish. But for special occasions we love a good steak.

I’m super typical - I love rib eyes! Anything well marbled and/or with a fat cap works for me. I like nicely fatty meats. If it’s very well marbled I’d go medium rare, else I prefer rare (though with a nicely rendered fat cap).

I never get a steak sauce, salt and pepper all the way baby! If I must get a sauce, either chimichurri or blue cheese sauce.

As for sides, I really love duck fat mushrooms (this is my absolute favourite!), shrimp (sort of like surf and turf), a crisp green salad, roasted brussels, and, weirdly enough, scrambled eggs (I do steak and eggs for breakfast sometimes).

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i grew up eating grass fed meat (lamb, venison, beef, bison) and quite honestly loving it. then as i got older and experienced the of privilege of dogs and cats pets and looking after them. i became a vegetarian for a number of years. and was a vegan for a year. it wasn't easy and a lot less fun come meal time. so i started consuming seafood and chicken. however, several months into the health pandemic, i decided i would eat red meat again.

we have been regularly enjoying red meat again, bison, lamb, grass fed american wagyu steak. we like our steaks medium to medium rare. i favour filet the most. it's just perfect to me. my husband prefers rib eye and new york. he always shares his fat cap. we usually go to whole foods or bristol farms for our steaks and such. i've ordered our steaks online as well but feel that bristol farms and whole foods are very good too

as an occasional indulgence such as this past thanksgiving or christmas eve, or christmas, or new year's eve, or new years day, or birthdays, or anniversaries, or just "because" we like japanese a5 waygu we go to a specialty butcher in town. we like it because it is really rich, soft and melty. we can't enjoy too much of it. 4 ounces per person is plenty of soft rich mild beefy fattiness. the rendered fat makes for some delicious and tasty potatoes ... french fries or roasted potatoes

we usually don't have sauce with our steak, just a bit of salt and pepper. sauteed mushrooms, pan fried zucchini rounds, a fresh tomato salad or an arugula salad, fries or roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes. that with a glass or two of a good french Bordeaux or a robust california cab is sublime

we've had lots of good steak at restaurants. but there is just something special and sweet about preparing a lovely steak dinner at home. some places that come to mind are mastros, palms, bourbon steak, cut and spago ... i feel where restaurants excel is prime rib. i miss prime rib

now that i think about it, once the world is right again, i wouldn't mind going out for a nice steak dinner

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results