shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who like steaks...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T-bone steak, rare, with lots of butter and herbs.

Sauce: peppercorn or mushroom or a red wine reduction.

Potatoes: gratin or truffle fries.

Veggies: creamy spinach or broccolini.

The best steaks I've ever had are found at Cut, by Wolfgang Puck.
Cut by Wolfgang Puck.jpg

Yummmm,,,,,:lickout:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A Scotch fillet or Prime Rib done medium rare with mushroom sauce, served with chips and salad.

Ahh the good old pub feed, love it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad will turn in his grave I am sure when I say I can't tell the difference between the two!

DK :lol-2:
I still remember they were the same price 30 yrs ago but now XO is $45 bucks more at Costco. I still prefer Cordon Bleu over Hennessy X.O.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like fillet, cooked medium to well. I don’t mind it pink in the middle, but absolutely no blood, otherwise I get ill, because I can’t digest it.

I like it with pepper sauce, asparagus, dauphinois potatoes, mini corns, carrots :lickout:

No red wine for me, I’m not a wine drinker.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confession time: I'm a decent chef overall, but meat is not my forte. Also, one bite is generally enough, I rather have the sauce and sides.
Plus I have an overly sensitive nose, so the smell is detectable for days if I prepare anything fried in my home (dispite my extractor and airing out religiously).

So we'll have steak in summer on our BBQ about twice /year. If I really feel like eating a steak I'll go to a restaurant with one of those extra hot broiler ovens ( 1600 - 1800 degrees ) . Medium erring on medium rare, fresh baby spinach with garlic, truffle fries or truffled gratin dauphinois, carrots.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we are making true confessions here goes mine. :shhh:

I never liked meat but when I was very young I ate it because that's what my mom and dad expected. But since I didn't care for meat, the smell or sight I made my dad cook it on the grill to well done. Yup I know the cardinal sin lol.:naughty: But not being a lover of animal meat to eat one can understand that I wanted it cooked beyond all recognition.

I have to say though that the Skirt Steak my dad grilled for me that was well done was delicious.
While I will never become an omnivore again but I respect those who are.
Just not my thing.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we are making true confessions here goes mine. :shhh:

I never liked meat but when I was very young I ate it because that's what my mom and dad expected. But since I didn't care for meat, the smell or sight I made my dad cook it on the grill to well done. Yup I know the cardinal sin lol.:naughty: But not being a lover of animal meat to eat one can understand that I wanted it cooked beyond all recognition.

I have to say though that the Skirt Steak my dad grilled for me that was well done was delicious.
While I will never become an omnivore again but I respect those who are.
Just not my thing.

DD 1 is exactly like that. We don't expect anything from her, though, so she'll eat whatever she'd like as long as she won't NOT eat during meals and then snack on unhealthy foods. That said, to her bacon, hamburger or chicken breast aren't meat (quote: doesn't "feel" like meat).

My mom went vegetarian at 67. She's always preferred the sides like me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just been to a local farm shop to buy a couple of legs of lamb for my pop up kitchen event this Sunday, and they were preparing T-bone steaks about an inch thick for the restaurant trade, looked friggng gorgeous at very good price!

Sadly too big for even to share with the pets!

Picked up a couple of freebie lamb bones for the dog, and he is not interested - too much hard work for him I think! :rolleyes:

DK :))

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmmm steak. Lightly seasoned with salt and pepper cooked on a griddle. I like my steak medium rare with a nice char on the outside. No fillet steak for me, it needs to be flavourful.
I enjoy a blue cheese sauce too with crispy fries to dip in, maybe a side salad and some garlic mushrooms! :lickout:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG how did I forget sweet potatoes. My very favorite side ever. I eat sweet potatoes every single day. I love them that much!

sweetpotatoesandbrusselsprouts.png

My favorites are the white skinned yams. Don't have a photo of those however. Anyway I have to stop talking about food because I really ate my weight in food today and I am getting ready for bed. Must stop thinking about food. :P2

Sounds delish. My mom wouldn't tell anyone her secret "sauce" for years but eventually she spilled the beans. :lol:

Yummmm!!! That looks delicious! My MIL makes a side with Brussels sprouts, chopped bacon, onions, and balsamic drizzle that is TO. DIE. FOR. ...and I really don't like Brussels sprouts. LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised no one mentioned wagyu yet. How do y’all feel about it?

I've read that the "wagyu" sold in the US really isn't the same... I'm sure there are very nice (i.e. very expensive) restaurants in the US that have the real deal flown in though... sadly, I've never experienced either. #bucketlist #fatkid #justfeedme

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmm steak. Lightly seasoned with salt and pepper cooked on a griddle. I like my steak medium rare with a nice char on the outside. No fillet steak for me, it needs to be flavourful.
I enjoy a blue cheese sauce too with crispy fries to dip in, maybe a side salad and some garlic mushrooms! :lickout:

We should dine together... you could order, and I'd just say "ditto." LOL (I wouldn't turn down a filet, but I like my steak marbled!)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like my food swimming in gravy or a sauce except for noodle soups.

The way I make my blue cheese sauce is not for dieters, as it is made with chopped garlic gently fried in a bit of butter, add double cream and gently reduced by about half the volume, before crumbling a big chunk of blue cheese into it. Yum!

I made this for one of my best friends when both of them came to visit me while I camped a nearby camp site and cooked them steak dinner from my camp kitchen, and she says she can't make it as nice as mine no matter how hard she tried, bless her!

DK :))

Soooooo.... when's dinner?? God, that sounds HEAVENLY!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I’m not a fan either, but I know other people like it so I was surprised it wasn’t mentioned yet.

@msop04 the domestic stuff is cross-bred with other domestic breeds, so it’s well marbled but I don’t find it mind-blowing. The authentic stuff, however, is like eating a piece of fat with specks of meat in it. It’s wonderful as nigiri, but more than that and it’s overwhelming.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 the domestic stuff is cross-bred with other domestic breeds, so it’s well marbled but I don’t find it mind-blowing. The authentic stuff, however, is like eating a piece of fat with specks of meat in it. It’s wonderful as nigiri, but more than that and it’s overwhelming.

Wow... sounds super rich... and delicious!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home cooked prime rib MR. But since that only happens during the holidays, a tri tip roast MR on the smoker with a good rub and reverse seared.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ok I LOVE steak! I always have since I was little. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years but now am eating meat and love it! Ok onto the faves...ribeye with a bone is my favorite. I love it with a salad and a grilled or roasted vegetable and a baked potato.
At home, I love to make a grass fed NY strip (that I ordered from costco online) and I follow Ina Garten's recipe that is just DELICIOUS! https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/grilled-new-york-strip-steaks-5232389
When I make ribeye at home, I just love salt and pepper.
We ate out last night and I got my first ever BISON steak! I loved it :kiss2: It is lean but flavorful, not dry at all. I love my steak medium rare plus. I chose a sweet potato and parmesean broccoli for my sides. So, now hubby and I are going to try a source for finding bison to prepare it at home.
We are going to a steak restaurant tonight :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I LOVE steak! I always have since I was little. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years but now am eating meat and love it! Ok onto the faves...ribeye with a bone is my favorite. I love it with a salad and a grilled or roasted vegetable and a baked potato.
At home, I love to make a grass fed NY strip (that I ordered from costco online) and I follow Ina Garten's recipe that is just DELICIOUS! https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/grilled-new-york-strip-steaks-5232389
When I make ribeye at home, I just love salt and pepper.
We ate out last night and I got my first ever BISON steak! I loved it :kiss2: It is lean but flavorful, not dry at all. I love my steak medium rare plus. I chose a sweet potato and parmesean broccoli for my sides. So, now hubby and I are going to try a source for finding bison to prepare it at home.
We are going to a steak restaurant tonight :kiss2:

So, if you and your dh ever visit us in Brooklyn we will take you to an amazing restaurant that serves game. I don’t eat that but they are an excellent restaurant and everything they serve is amazing and there’s a large variety. So something for everyone. My dh and I used to eat there 3 night a week lol. We haven’t eaten there for a while but thankfully they are still in business and going strong.

Food (haha) for thought...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a restaurant high up in one of the tallest buildings in London for a birthday meal and chose a main platter with 2 different types of steaks.

I was asked by the waiter whether I would like to upgrade to Waygu beef. I took one look at the price and said yes, without realising the price was for one type of steak, not both.

I did not know that when I was eating them at the time so it did not influence what I thought of the steaks. I did not enjoy them as I found them too soft, fatty yet tasteless.

The cost of upgrade for the steaks was more than half of my menu choices together.

It was one of the most expensive meals I had on my own, and the whole experience was not worth it.

DK :rolleyes:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
So, if you and your dh ever visit us in Brooklyn we will take you to an amazing restaurant that serves game. I don’t eat that but they are an excellent restaurant and everything they serve is amazing and there’s a large variety. So something for everyone. My dh and I used to eat there 3 night a week lol. We haven’t eaten there for a while but thankfully they are still in business and going strong.

Food (haha) for thought...

Yay!!! That would be soo much fun Missy! Diamonds during the day, maybe a show, and a fabulous dinner at night - what more could a girl ask for :kiss2:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I switched to grass fed exclusively- it’s like a different animal than a cow that eats corn. No matter the cut. I'm surprised none of our members have mentioned that yet.....
I love porterhouse, NY Strip
I also use a cast iron pan.
Get it red hot, sear each side of the seasoned meat, then in the broiler for 6minutes.
Perfect Medium rare......

But since I switched to grass-fed, grain fed beef tastes.....weird to me.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Nobody has mentioned hanger steak---it is not easy to find. But it is so extremely flavorful.
There is only one piece per cow and it is a piece of meat that hangs under the diaphragm of the cow. Sometimes called butcher cut and you occasionally find it on restaurant menus.

Cook it medium rare and it is like slices of heaven. I highly recommend trying it if you see it on a menu or in your butcher shop. It is a long skinny strip when trimmed up--sort of like a skinny tenderloin.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I either do a marinated skirt steak on the grill or a sous vide filet finished on a super hot searing pan with some garlic butter :drool:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nobody has mentioned hanger steak---it is not easy to find. But it is so extremely flavorful.
There is only one piece per cow and it is a piece of meat that hangs under the diaphragm of the cow. Sometimes called butcher cut and you occasionally find it on restaurant menus.

Cook it medium rare and it is like slices of heaven. I highly recommend trying it if you see it on a menu or in your butcher shop. It is a long skinny strip when trimmed up--sort of like a skinny tenderloin.

Throw some chimichurri on top and you've got a winner!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a good ribeye. I have cooked grass fed from Whole Foods, and a choice from Costco side by side and really didn't notice any difference. I do buy the grass fed hamburger from Costco and I prefer that. But that could be a mind-clean issue too.

I never order steak out, because what I cook is always better. My youngest works at a local steakhouse and he says the steaks we cook at home are better than where he works-a rib eye there will set you back $70. On my grill, 4 minutes per side. We usually have rib eye once or twice a week. I don't worry about eating red meat at all. I don't eat any processed food. I love Costco steaks but we usually buy a few for the freezer at Whole Foods when we get a chance to go there. I have one in the fridge for today. I will probably cook it for lunch. DH and I always split one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results