shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have taken in feral or stray cats . . .

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Did they have any trouble using a litter box?

The building next door (where Wellington has been living) had a handyman close the crawl space openings. The city inspectors are coming back to inspect on June 4 (to make sure the holes are closed). The handyman (bless him) showed me how to open and close them (since Wellington was underneath while he was doing his work). Wellington was out Monday evening so I closed it up, thinking he''ll just shack up in the carrier next to the opening (since that is where he hangs out anyway). He was freaked out by it and won''t go in the carrier anymore.

I saw him on Tuesday and hung out with him most of the day. I didn''t see him at all yesterday or today (he is wearing a collar with my info on it). I''m certain he was out back early this morning - there was a huge bowl of food under my bedroom window. Right about dawn, my cat, Electra was in the bedroom window clicking the blinds with her tail. I went out at about 7 AM and I could tell he had eaten some of the food. I know it was him because he shoves his face into the bowl and eats a hole all the way to the bottom of the bowl, while the rest of the bowl stays full.

I will be traveling starting June 5 for 3 weeks. I had planned on bringing him in when I return. Now, that he can''t go in the crawlspace, my friend has offered to keep him in her house until I return. GREAT! But I can''t find him when I go looking for him.

Question #1 - Should I reopen the crawlspace so that he returns and his schedule is more predictable? I would then close it back up after I catch him.

Question #2 - I can handle him quite well, but he doesn''t want to be picked up. How can I get him in the carrier? I have some acepromazine, but it takes about 3 hours to take effect and I am afraid of making him vulnerable outside if he runs from me (doubtful and I would of course stay with him the whole time).

Question #3 - Do you think he will know what to do in a litter box?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 6:48:07 PM
Author:LAJennifer
Did they have any trouble using a litter box?

The building next door (where Wellington has been living) had a handyman close the crawl space openings. The city inspectors are coming back to inspect on June 4 (to make sure the holes are closed). The handyman (bless him) showed me how to open and close them (since Wellington was underneath while he was doing his work). Wellington was out Monday evening so I closed it up, thinking he''ll just shack up in the carrier next to the opening (since that is where he hangs out anyway). He was freaked out by it and won''t go in the carrier anymore.

I saw him on Tuesday and hung out with him most of the day. I didn''t see him at all yesterday or today (he is wearing a collar with my info on it). I''m certain he was out back early this morning - there was a huge bowl of food under my bedroom window. Right about dawn, my cat, Electra was in the bedroom window clicking the blinds with her tail. I went out at about 7 AM and I could tell he had eaten some of the food. I know it was him because he shoves his face into the bowl and eats a hole all the way to the bottom of the bowl, while the rest of the bowl stays full.

I will be traveling starting June 5 for 3 weeks. I had planned on bringing him in when I return. Now, that he can''t go in the crawlspace, my friend has offered to keep him in her house until I return. GREAT! But I can''t find him when I go looking for him.

Question #1 - Should I reopen the crawlspace so that he returns and his schedule is more predictable? I would then close it back up after I catch him.

Question #2 - I can handle him quite well, but he doesn''t want to be picked up. How can I get him in the carrier? I have some acepromazine, but it takes about 3 hours to take effect and I am afraid of making him vulnerable outside if he runs from me (doubtful and I would of course stay with him the whole time).

Question #3 - Do you think he will know what to do in a litter box?

Can I first say BLESS YOU again???! I am so moved by your story and your efforts to help this beautiful kitty.

#1. I think opening up the crawl space is a good idea. Obviously that seems like a safe place for him, and a good place to gently catch him.

#2. Can you bait him into the carrier with bits of tuna, salmon, etc? A little piece every inch or so leading him right into the carrier? Use your own judgment at the time to see if he seems more comfortable with you there and gently talking to him, or if he seems more relaxed with just quiet.

Honestly, I''m just not too much of a fan of the thoughts of him being medicated... just too many risks and variables. Also, one more thing... I think the more *open* looking the carrier is, the better. He may be nervous walking into a very *closed* looking "box" (carrier). Do you know anyone with a small dog kennel? I know that our local shelter will loan out live traps, which are nothing more than very small dog kennels. I''ve caught several feral cats in that, using some kind of irresistible food as a bait.

#3 Oh yes, I absolutely feel confident that he will use the litter box! Cats are such fastidious animals, and he will probably deeply appreciate a nice, clean litter box to use. That''s the LEAST of your problems, IMHO!!!

Please keep us posted!
xoxox!
Lynn

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree with Lynn B, particularly about the litter box bit. My cat is such a priss pot that he tries to bury his litter box if there''s ANYTHING visible in it. Then again, my cat also throws up in the toilet if he has a hairball, so he''s particularly odd, haha! Cats love for their territory to be clean, so usually, you plop them in the box once, and they''ll figure it out fast. As for the carrier, God help you. With Bentley, the only way we can get him into his is to lure him close to it with a treat inside it--he tries to reach in and grab the treat out as quickly as possible, so we have to pretend we''re ignoring him, wait until he goes for the treat, then swoop in and shove his tail end in before he starts doing the back stroke trying to get away. We''ve had to transport Bentley in a laundry basket with a towel in the bottom and another laundry basket tied to the top before because that was the only thing we could get him in.

The thing I''ve done with moving cats, and moving litter boxes, getting new ones, new litter... anything related to litter... ONCE I have it all set up I plop the cat in there and take his front paws and help him dig/ scratch in there. They hate it, but they know what it means :)

I took in a little kitty stray. Adjusted to the litter box just fine!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say that I read your post in another thread last night and was so upset!! I am so happy that Wellington has resurfaced. I wish you the best of luck with him....

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 9:52:41 AM
Author: siamese3
I just wanted to say that I read your post in another thread last night and was so upset!! I am so happy that Wellington has resurfaced. I wish you the best of luck with him....

Well, he hasn''t exactly - I opened the crawl space back up, so if he came by for food last night or early this morning he saw that he can go back in. And the food I left out is all eaten up. I''m hoping he is in there right now, taking a big long nap. I''m confident he will come back - unless someone is feeding him somewhere else.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you are right.. it certainly makes sense as cats with full tummies tend to like to take a nice, long naps. At least mine do... after a little running around, it''s off to la la land. I''m hopeful you will see him soon.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 1:34:29 PM
Author: siamese3
I hope you are right.. it certainly makes sense as cats with full tummies tend to like to take a nice, long naps. At least mine do... after a little running around, it''s off to la la land. I''m hopeful you will see him soon.

Thank you. All ***Kitty Dust*** is appreciated.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I adopted a stray cat that had obviously never seen the inside of a home before, about 6 or 7 years ago- the first time he peed, was in the bathtub. Then, he saw me showering the next day and you could actually see the wheels turning in his head- he watched me with this flabbergasted look on his furface. Like- "what the HELL is she doing in there?? Well, guess that isn''t the pottybox after all!"

After that, he had no problem using the litterbox.

He still loves to watch me shower though. Weirdo. Any water tranfixes him- I give him ice cubes so he can watch them melt, he loves that...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
LAJen - I hope Wellington resurfaces before you leave on your trip - I''m sure it would set your mind at ease to see him before you leave on your trip.

I think he is likely to adjust very quickly to a litterbox inside. I''d put him in a small space at first so he feels secure and is less likely to get confused, but the litterbox instinct is a very strong one for most cats, so as long as he has a box that is private, safe, and clean, I think he''ll likely take to it right away.

If you are really concerned, you can try the "Cat Attract" litter - they sell it at most pet stores, and I''ve seen it work really well in the past - you could start him with this stuff and then gradually phase it out as he gets more comfortable.

Tons of kitty dust for you and Wellington!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a lot of stray cats growing up and to tame them we kept them in the entry way-I can''t recall ever having a problem w/them and the litterbox..other than we had a couple that would back up to the very edge of it and go over the side. Cats just seem to "get" what it''s for..I wish dogs were so easy to train!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, all! I''m currently doing laundry to take my mind off of him but it isn''t working and the tears are flowing. I feel really guilty for closing the space in the first place - but it is now reopened.

God, I hope he is in there or comes back. I honestly don''t know what I''ll do if he doesn''t. His cat scratching post was just delivered (from his Amazon Wish List - yes, I made him one). And then I look at my two sweet cats, Electra and Seth, and think that having them should be enough, so why is my heart so broken?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I took in had no trouble at all using the litter box. After she was done , she would walk over to me and yowl--probably telling me to go clean it out.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 5:01:12 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Thanks, all! I'm currently doing laundry to take my mind off of him but it isn't working and the tears are flowing. I feel really guilty for closing the space in the first place - but it is now reopened.

God, I hope he is in there or comes back. I honestly don't know what I'll do if he doesn't. His cat scratching post was just delivered (from his Amazon Wish List - yes, I made him one). And then I look at my two sweet cats, Electra and Seth, and think that having them should be enough, so why is my heart so broken?

Awww, sweetie, please don't cry! xoxo
And your heart is broken, not for YOU, but for Wellington, because you love him and want to save him.
We have fingers, toes, and (Boo and Bentley's) whiskers crossed for his safe reappearance!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2010 4:55:23 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 5/28/2010 5:01:12 PM

Thanks, all! I''m currently doing laundry to take my mind off of him but it isn''t working and the tears are flowing. I feel really guilty for closing the space in the first place - but it is now reopened.

God, I hope he is in there or comes back. I honestly don''t know what I''ll do if he doesn''t. His cat scratching post was just delivered (from his Amazon Wish List - yes, I made him one). And then I look at my two sweet cats, Electra and Seth, and think that having them should be enough, so why is my heart so broken?

Awww, sweetie, please don''t cry! xoxo

And your heart is broken, not for YOU, but for Wellington, because you love him and want to save him.

We have fingers, toes, and (Boo and Bentley''s) whiskers crossed for his safe reappearance!

Lynn, thanks so much. He turned up yesterday evening and he looked fine (had a bite on his butt). I put my cats in the bedroom, and lured him to my propped open front door with some wet food. Then picked him up to quickly bring him in - and it didn''t work - he flipped out. But he wasn''t mad at me. I hung out with him all evening. Two other ferals (Huggins and Stewart - I feed them but I am not emotionally involved) showed up at their bowls (about 50 feet from Wellington''s bowls) and Wellington was so funny. He was hiding from them under the gas meters. Then when I walked up to the gas meters (about 15 feet from the others'' bowls), Wellington came out and planted himself in front of me, like he is a bada$s because I was his backup. He is such a character. I haven''t seen him today but I know he has eaten some food (today is very hot - I think he is back in his hole).

Some very nice people, from Kitten Rescue, loaned me 3 traps today and taught me how to use them. I think I am going to leave things alone today (and not feed as much, so he gets hungry), and put the traps out tomorrow.

Thank you for thinking of us. I just love that little guy to pieces.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Another update on Wellington:

He is back to normal in his space. I spent about 3 hours with him this evening playing and cuddling. I love him so much and I know he loves me. Since he has had a lot of stress the last few days, and he seemed back to normal this evening - I''m going to wait to trap on Monday. I''ll give him one more day of normalcy (tomorrow), so that he doesn''t suspect any funny business.

Once trapped we will take him to his temporary home at my friend''s place. We are going to set him up in her bedroom. He will have plenty of places to hide, 2 litter boxes, his new scratch post, a kitty bed, and some boxes to hide in. He will be confined to that room for a while (she doesn''t mind if he roams, but I think it is best if he has "his" space). I will probably give him some acepromazine once at her place. It is a sedative that helps to "take the edge off". My Seth has to take it when he goes to the vet because he gets really stressed out. I can''t get Seth into a carrier without it. It takes about 3 hours to kick in and lasts for several hours.

Does anyone know if the feliway plug ins work?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 1:38:11 AM
Another update on Wellington:

He is back to normal in his space. I spent about 3 hours with him this evening playing and cuddling. I love him so much and I know he loves me. Since he has had a lot of stress the last few days, and he seemed back to normal this evening - I''m going to wait to trap on Monday. I''ll give him one more day of normalcy (tomorrow), so that he doesn''t suspect any funny business.

Once trapped we will take him to his temporary home at my friend''s place. We are going to set him up in her bedroom. He will have plenty of places to hide, 2 litter boxes, his new scratch post, a kitty bed, and some boxes to hide in. He will be confined to that room for a while (she doesn''t mind if he roams, but I think it is best if he has ''his'' space). I will probably give him some acepromazine once at her place. It is a sedative that helps to ''take the edge off''. My Seth has to take it when he goes to the vet because he gets really stressed out. I can''t get Seth into a carrier without it. It takes about 3 hours to kick in and lasts for several hours.

Does anyone know if the feliway plug ins work?

Oh, the update made me sooooo happy! YAY!

As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Oh, I need to mention Feliway!!!" and there you mentioned it at the end of your post. Yes, they really do work, and THAT is an excellent idea. The ONLY drawback to the Feliway is the price, the product is pretty expensive; but I think in this case, it would be an excellent investment in Wellington''s adjustment. I don''t know anything about the acepromazine, so no comments there, but it sounds like you do! Good luck, Jennifer... you are doing EVERYTHING right! Hugs to you and Wellington!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results