shape
carat
color
clarity

For those that have taken Topamax

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SeaStar

Rough_Rock
Have you noticed any problems with your teeth? I just started a ramp dose last week of 25 mg twice a day, today I start 50 mg twice a day and by the end of August I''ll be up to 100 mg twice a day for migraines. A couple days ago I noticed my gums were a little swollen, more upper than lower. I also noticed my teeth are a little looser and they hurt. They''ve always been a touch loose because I lost my baby teeth from trauma during a gymnastics injury. I''m worried they''re going to fall out. The swelling hasn''t really gone down. Will it? Have any of you noticed this as a side effect?

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. I never noticed that when I was taking Topomax. You should google the side effects and call your MD/dentist right away. It could also be something completely unrelated, but it sounds like it needs to be checked out.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have never noticed a prob with my teeth, but sometimes it makes me puke. Good Luck

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter took it. It helped her migraines when she got to 100 mgs. However, she could not take the side effects. The first 2 to 3 weeks she was very moody and depressed. I almost took her off of it at that point than she turned the corner emotionally. It can make you depressed so watch that.

Than when we tried to go to 100 mgs it gave her very bad stomach pains. She also got several sinus infections while on it. it can make you more susceptible to infections.

when we dosed her back down to 50 mgs her stomach issues went away but her headaches came back .

She also lost 15 pounds on it.

I thin it is a med that either works well or there is to many side effects for people.

never heard of teeth thing though. I would talk to your dentist and see what he/she says. Good Luck to you !

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I took Topamax for a while and never noticed dental issues. It helped my headaches, but affected me too much cognitively to justify staying on it.

SeaStar

Rough_Rock
I just started the one week of 100mg yesterday and am now noticing some fogginess here and there. I was at Yankee Candle tonight with Fi and stood there for five minutes in frustration staring at a candle shade because I absolutely could *not* remember what they were called. Zero recollection that I ever even knew what they were called...they were just, those things, but then after staring at them for forever the name finally came to me. I also drive six miles in the wrong direction, and have some tingling/vibrating here and there in my hands and feet. My headaches are definitely better, just dull aches, but I''m still waking up seeing spots and I still almost constant visual disturbances in my peripheral vision. I''m hoping these things will improve when I get up to 200mg.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I took it for a few months. No dental issues but it gave me horrible IBS..no wonder I lost weight
38.gif

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
You need to drink lots. The tingling is from loss of electrolytes. It has diuretic components in it. Gatorade, OJ, lots of water. That will help.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 11:07:27 PM
Author: SeaStar
I just started the one week of 100mg yesterday and am now noticing some fogginess here and there. I was at Yankee Candle tonight with Fi and stood there for five minutes in frustration staring at a candle shade because I absolutely could *not* remember what they were called. Zero recollection that I ever even knew what they were called...they were just, those things, but then after staring at them for forever the name finally came to me. I also drive six miles in the wrong direction, and have some tingling/vibrating here and there in my hands and feet. My headaches are definitely better, just dull aches, but I''m still waking up seeing spots and I still almost constant visual disturbances in my peripheral vision. I''m hoping these things will improve when I get up to 200mg.
My doc said to eat a banana for the tingling. It''s due to loss of potassium.

It''s nicknamed Stupimax for a reason...sigh.
8.gif
I forget what I''m trying to remember all of the time. I do hope that you find relief at a higher dose. Visual disturbances can be very difficult to live with.

SeaStar

Rough_Rock
Hi there. I started eating a banana every day and also picked up a bag of Hall's Vitamin C drops and eat 1-2 of those per day. The tingling is not completely gone but definitely better. I notice it's worse after a long shift at work if I don't get a chance to eat or take a break. The fogginess is really starting to set in now at 100mg and I'm only halfway through. I just cannot remember words! They can be big words or average everyday words that complete the sentence and the buggers just won't come to me. I work on a major surgical floor and communicate frequently with some very moody surgeons so it's made for some interesting conversations.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been on Topamax for a couple of years now. I had nasty side effects at first too. They went away after awhile.

I take 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening. All the side effects are gone and so are my migraines.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:47:06 AM
Author: Linda W
I have been on Topamax for a couple of years now. I had nasty side effects at first too. They went away after awhile.

I take 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening. All the side effects are gone and so are my migraines.
Linda, I''m really curious: how long did it take for the side effects to subside? Did you have cognitive issues?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:29:17 AM
Author: kittybean
Date: 8/17/2009 2:47:06 AM

Author: Linda W

Linda, I''m really curious: how long did it take for the side effects to subside? Did you have cognitive issues?

Hi Kitty. The side effects lasted awhile. I would say about 4 months, maybe 5. My doctor told, me eventually they would go away completely and if I could, to stick them out. He was right.

I did have cognitive issues also, the they are also gone.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 12:59:56 PM
Author: SeaStar
Hi there. I started eating a banana every day and also picked up a bag of Hall''s Vitamin C drops and eat 1-2 of those per day. The tingling is not completely gone but definitely better. I notice it''s worse after a long shift at work if I don''t get a chance to eat or take a break. The fogginess is really starting to set in now at 100mg and I''m only halfway through. I just cannot remember words! They can be big words or average everyday words that complete the sentence and the buggers just won''t come to me. I work on a major surgical floor and communicate frequently with some very moody surgeons so it''s made for some interesting conversations.
I had the tingling quite often when I first started taking Topamax and it has almost completely subsided except for when I allow my blood sugar to drop significantly. I hope the bananas help. Also, be sure you''re drinking plenty of water. If you weren''t told when the med was prescribed, you are supposed to take it with a full glass of water, to help with the tingling issue and to avoid kidney stones. Soon, you probably won''t have to eat the bananas as your body adjusts to the medication.

As far as the cognitive issues go, they have gotten better for me with time, but they haven''t completely gone away. If you find that the cognitive issues are just too much to bear, there is always Depakote. It has its own set of side effects though.

How are your teeth and gums?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results