shape
carat
color
clarity

For the NYC PSers... diamond district???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies!

I just moved down to NYC for the summer for my internship, and now that my BF has asked me to send him pictures of rings that I would definitely want, meaning if he were to go and buy it tomorrow. So I want to go look at some Vatche and Tacori rings in person at some point, and I''m wondering if anyone has toured the diamond district to look? Or Excel at least to look and try on. I don''t want to waste anyone''s time, since I know I won''t be buying b/c BF is upstate for the summer. Any experience? or will Diamond district-ing, will that be too high pressure to just get an idea of settings?

Also I might stop at Tiffany''s, even though I know I won''t get a Tiffany ring, but just for fun. Let me know your thoughts!! :)

icet

Rough_Rock
welcome! i personally wouldn''t buy from the diamond district. it can get very shady. you really have to know someone in the business. My DH didn''t know anyone so he bought my ring from a reputable store and it was cheaper than the stalls that he went to in the diamond district when he first started diamond hunting. on the other hand, my coworker knows "a guy" in the business and got an amazing 2.5ct FVS1 for a really amazing deal.
I would try rings on at the stores on Fifth ave, they''re much nicer. the people at the diamond district get mad sometimes when they know that you''re not buying and can get pretty snarky.
Check out the PS vendors, it was too late for me but they get rave reviews from what i have read since joining.
Good luck =)

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I''ll definitely check out the 5th ave stores instead. Any recommendations besides Tiffany''s? I think Michael C. Fina is over there too.

I''ve checked out the PS vendors and really like some of their settings, but I really want to get a sense of how some look on my finger as opposed to the computer screen. I really like some Tacori''s but I''m not sure if I can pull them off since they are so delicate looking.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Cutiegirl,

Let me preface what I’m about to post by stating that I’m a relative newbie too… However, I know that Barry at Excel Diamonds and Mark at ERD are both located in the diamond district. My fiancé and I have been working with Barry on my e-ring and wedding bands and although he’s kinda slow in getting things done, his work (in my opinion) is amazing. Although I’ve never worked with Mark, he seems to be a PS favorite, especially for cushions. Like I stated, I’m far from an expert so hopefully, some of the regulars will be able to add to my comments and give you more information. Good luck!

icet

Rough_Rock
there''s plenty on 5th. the sales people at Michael C. Fina are great. i went with my sis and they let her try on a 7 ct EC without a blink of an eye. debeers is there and fortuneoff is near T&C. catier, movado oh my=). just have to walk up and down and you''ll find them all. Harry winston is there and you can see all the gorgeous rocks, i''ve always been too shy to try rings on but I would love to try on a HW! that''s all the ones i can remember from the top of my head and i''m sure that i''m missing a few but you''ll def have fun trying rings on there =)

icet

Rough_Rock
let me add to my first post, there are plenty of vendors on PS that are based in ny and more specifically the diamond district so you can ask about seeing rings etc. but unfortunately for me, my DH did not know one thing about diamond hunting and did not know of any reputable vendors so he did not have a good experience when it came to shopping there but I''m sure that someone here will probably know a place in the district that can help you=) i''m not an expert, more of a lurker.
i still get a kick out of window shopping on 5th ave though!

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
hmmm maybe i''ll check out excel and ERD too.

i know i''ll be in dreamland on 5th ave but it''s worth a look!

Thanks for all the advice!

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
cutiegirl,

bf and i bought my ering from a vendor based in the diamond district. i actually found the store thru ps and the store is callled "id jewelry online". if i remember correctly, i think they carry vatche too. anyway, i suggest you check them out along with erd and excel diamonds. bf and i went with id jewelry coz we felt most comfortable with them. their service is great and prices are competitive.

if you just want to try on rings, you can always go into one of the stores in the diamond district. that''s what i did. i just said that i''m getting engaged soon and that i wanted to check out rings. i had a lot of fun trying on rings and other jewels. hehe
9.gif

good luck! how are you liking nyc so far? i''ve been here for a few years and am soooooooooooo loving it.
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Aye, if the salespeople are smart, they''ll be nice to you. People remember when they''re treated well as a customer. If they don''t treat you well, make sure you keep on walkin'' and tell them they just guaranteed that they lost a sale.
3.gif

I''ve gone ring shopping by myself (since J was in another country at the time), and most of the salespeople I dealt with were fine (except for Tiffany''s, ironically, where the dude was really pissy and told me to "bring the man" so I could shop for real! I can''t buy any jewelry on my own?! RUDE!). A couple were especially lovely, and even now, over a year later, I remember which stores they were in. Sadly for them, we will be buying online, but still. They did their jobs well, and eventually I would like to go back and buy a bit of bling from them--just to say thanks, of course.
2.gif

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 12:22:53 AM
Author: luckynumber7
cutiegirl,

bf and i bought my ering from a vendor based in the diamond district. i actually found the store thru ps and the store is callled ''id jewelry online''. if i remember correctly, i think they carry vatche too. anyway, i suggest you check them out along with erd and excel diamonds. bf and i went with id jewelry coz we felt most comfortable with them. their service is great and prices are competitive.

if you just want to try on rings, you can always go into one of the stores in the diamond district. that''s what i did. i just said that i''m getting engaged soon and that i wanted to check out rings. i had a lot of fun trying on rings and other jewels. hehe
9.gif

good luck! how are you liking nyc so far? i''ve been here for a few years and am soooooooooooo loving it.
1.gif
OK I''ll check out ID jewelry too. Thanks!! Yeah my plan is to try on rings to get a sense of what styles I actually like in real life as opposed to browsing online. I''m pretty sure my BF is set on buying in a store so I really want to know what looks good.

I like NYC so far, definitely a change from upstate NY but I am really enjoying the sights and bustle of the city :)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 10:21:22 PM
Author: icet
on the other hand, my coworker knows ''a guy'' in the business and got an amazing 2.5ct FVS1 for a really amazing deal.

Good luck =)

Nobody, even if you know them, is going to take a loss on your ring. And since, with internet competition, profit margins on diamonds outside of designer shops and chain stores (and if you''re not dumb enough to get gouged) are very, very low, most people who get "An amazing deal" from someone they "know" in the business are actually either paying what any of us could get with a little haggling or they are flat out getting cheated.

We see this on here ALLLL the time. Someone says "A guy I know sold me this stone, I thought it was an amazing deal" and it turns out to be junk.

F / VS stones can still be pieces of cra@p, facing up way too small, badly cut, or over graded by a second rate lab.

Actual "bargains" from "a guy I know in the business" are very few and far between.

So don''t kid yourself, ladies! Education is the best inoculation against buying cr@p and thinking you got a deal.

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 5:09:44 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Aye, if the salespeople are smart, they''ll be nice to you. People remember when they''re treated well as a customer. If they don''t treat you well, make sure you keep on walkin'' and tell them they just guaranteed that they lost a sale.
3.gif

I''ve gone ring shopping by myself (since J was in another country at the time), and most of the salespeople I dealt with were fine (except for Tiffany''s, ironically, where the dude was really pissy and told me to ''bring the man'' so I could shop for real! I can''t buy any jewelry on my own?! RUDE!). A couple were especially lovely, and even now, over a year later, I remember which stores they were in. Sadly for them, we will be buying online, but still. They did their jobs well, and eventually I would like to go back and buy a bit of bling from them--just to say thanks, of course.
2.gif
Yeah, I went ring browsing with a few friends at Kay jewelers and the woman was so rude. She gave me a catalog to look at and wouldn''t show me any enagagement rings to try on.

I can''t believe the man did that to you at Tiffany''s! How rude. Hopefully I won''t encounter any rude salespeople, because it will just ruin the ring trying on fun.

I already told my BF I don''t want to know anything about when he buys the ring, so I just send him pictures and let him know what I like so he can take over from there. I''m excited to go now! I just wish stores were open today since I''m off from work but I ''ll have to wait till the weekend :)

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 10:58:42 AM
Author: cutiegirl84

Date: 5/26/2008 12:22:53 AM
Author: luckynumber7
cutiegirl,

bf and i bought my ering from a vendor based in the diamond district. i actually found the store thru ps and the store is callled ''id jewelry online''. if i remember correctly, i think they carry vatche too. anyway, i suggest you check them out along with erd and excel diamonds. bf and i went with id jewelry coz we felt most comfortable with them. their service is great and prices are competitive.

9.gif

1.gif
OK I''ll check out ID jewelry too. Thanks!! Yeah my plan is to try on rings to get a sense of what styles I actually like in real life as opposed to browsing online. I''m pretty sure my BF is set on buying in a store so I really want to know what looks good.

I like NYC so far, definitely a change from upstate NY but I am really enjoying the sights and bustle of the city :)
yup, you should definitely try on rings if you can. i had my heart set on a halo style ring (similar to the tiffany legacy) but when i tried it on, it didn''t look "right" on my finger. it looked gorgeous on display but somehow it didn''t look as great on my finger. i was actually very disappointed that it didn''t suit me.
7.gif
i still love the style though. sooo blingy and pretty!
1.gif

if you''re going to id jewelry, look for yekutiel (my sales guy) and don''t forget to mention that you found them thru ps.

nyc is lovely especially today. the weather is just perfect. i can''t imagine living anywhere else (for now at least
9.gif
).

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the NYC area! I don''t have any diamond district experience, but I have been in to Tiffany''s a few times for fun and it''s definitely worth a visit. It''s too bad that some people have had bad experiences ... the sales people I''ve met are always very nice. One guy handed me a 5ct Tiffany setting without me even asking to look at it. I had to be careful not to drool on it
2.gif
I''ve also had sales people at Tiffany''s compliment me on jewelry I was wearing (though I''m pretty sure they were sucking up to me ... one of the necklaces they complimented was $12 at Claire''s and I''m pretty sure they could tell ... they''re probably instructed to compliment customers). So I hope you have a good experience there!

I also felt the need to respond to your post because your avatar is the ring I based my e-ring off of
1.gif
I didn''t actually get the Vatche, but I had a custom store make one like it for me and I love it. I like your taste!! Haha

Good luck ring shopping!

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
luckynumber7--

Thanks! You know, I really have changed my mind about rings so much. When I first started browsing online I loved the Lucida w/ trilliant side stones and I couldn''t imagine having anything else; then I wanted the Novo, then I wanted a princess cut pave, then a RB with pave, then the Vatche slim x-prong, and now I like Tacori''s with a halo!! I''m so indecisive its ridiculous. That''s why I really want to go look at some of these rings in person and see what actually looks good on me. I really hope that I like halos in person.

This weekend was great in NYC, I shopped for hours! There is so much to do and I''m having fun. Plus being so close to so many great diamonds helps too :)

I''ll look for Yekutiel at ID jewelry, do I need an appointment or can I just show up??

elrohwen--

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am really excited about going to Tiffany''s. I planned on going today after work but it got SOOO windy and I left my umbrella in my office so I figured I''d go another day and take my time. Ohh I''d love to try on a 5ct but I think I''ll start small so I don''t get too attached to a big rock lol.

I still love the vatche slim one but when i checked out another jewelry store I noticed 3mm is perfect for me, 2mm is too thin and 4 is too thick! But the Vatche as far as I know is either 2mm or 4mm, so I guess I''m out of luck. YOu must post pics of your ring when you can because I''d love to see it on a real person''s hand!

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 7:01:26 PM
luckynumber7--

Thanks! You know, I really have changed my mind about rings so much. When I first started browsing online I loved the Lucida w/ trilliant side stones and I couldn''t imagine having anything else; then I wanted the Novo, then I wanted a princess cut pave, then a RB with pave, then the Vatche slim x-prong, and now I like Tacori''s with a halo!! I''m so indecisive its ridiculous. That''s why I really want to go look at some of these rings in person and see what actually looks good on me. I really hope that I like halos in person.

This weekend was great in NYC, I shopped for hours! There is so much to do and I''m having fun. Plus being so close to so many great diamonds helps too :)

I''ll look for Yekutiel at ID jewelry, do I need an appointment or can I just show up??

elrohwen--

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am really excited about going to Tiffany''s. I planned on going today after work but it got SOOO windy and I left my umbrella in my office so I figured I''d go another day and take my time. Ohh I''d love to try on a 5ct but I think I''ll start small so I don''t get too attached to a big rock lol.

I still love the vatche slim one but when i checked out another jewelry store I noticed 3mm is perfect for me, 2mm is too thin and 4 is too thick! But the Vatche as far as I know is either 2mm or 4mm, so I guess I''m out of luck. YOu must post pics of your ring when you can because I''d love to see it on a real person''s hand!
the weather was gorgeous during the weekend. bf and i laid out by the pool in our bldg. i got some more color baby.
9.gif

trying out rings is soooo much fun. i work near the diamond district and i''ve been known to pop into stores and try on jewelry during lunch or after work while waiting for bf (if we go home together).
2.gif

i always knew i wanted an asscher cut but just didn''t know what setting style i wanted. i almost drove bf nuts just analyzing eveything. haha!
11.gif
i''m glad i settled on the 3-stone asscher; they''re soo yummy! i can''t wait to see the finished product though coz bf is still holding it hostage.
38.gif

anyhoo, i think it''s best if you call yekutiel 1st before going to his store. better safe than sorry. i know he''s there everyday but there were a few times when i missed him (i normally just show up coz his store is a few steps away from my office).

are you partial to any cut/shape?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 7:01:26 PM
luckynumber7--

elrohwen--

It is definitely easy to get attached to the big rocks. Haha. The sales guy must have known I couldn''t afford a 5ct Tiffany ring, but he probably knew that browsers love to try on the big rings. I certainly didn''t turn it down! I think I only said something vague like "I want to look at some rings" and he just hands me this rock. Gotta love service like that.

I''d also recommend going to Jacob''s on 57th around the corner from Tiffany''s. I have yet to go, but their stuff is bling-a-licious. They do supply Pharell and P Diddy with diamonds. Haha. Plus their store looks really cool in the pictures online. Next time I head down to 5th Ave I''m going in to check out their stuff even if it is kind of gaudy.

I''m not sure at all how thin/thick my Vatche reproduction is. I think mine has larger side stones (tcw is double what it is on the Vatche; the store made the decision to make them bigger so I''m interested to see how it looks) and the jeweler had to make the band a bit wider to look good with my stone and fit the sidestones in. It definitely won''t be a 2mm, but I''ll have to see if it''s 3 or 4. If you really like the style but want it in 3mm I''m sure you could find someone to make it for you. I''ll take some measurements and definitely post pictures when I get mine (only one more week! yay!)

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
I went to Tiffany today and tried on the Legacy, Novo and the Lucida w/ trilliant side stones. I was really suprised, the legacy I love it! I thought it was too fancy based on the pictures I saw online, but it was so nice in person. I think I can handle a halo lol.

Also, the saleslady at Tiffany didn''t seem to know anything. I asked her how thick the band was, whether it was 1/2 way around or 3/4, and she didn''t know. She also didn''t say much. I guess it''s good I wasnt planning on getting my ring there because she wasn''t helpful or nice really. Idk. Anyhoo, I looked for Michael C Fina but I must have missed it.

So I walked down 47th b/w 5th and 6th and saw all the diamond shops! I wanted to go in, but it was past 6pm so a lot of places were closed.

I''m pretty sure I like rounds.

Elrohwen--

I''m pretty sure the novo is about 2mm and I liked it. So maybe I can get away with the vatche slim. I really need to check out excel, as they are the only ones I''ve seen online that carry it. Oh well, I cannot wait to see your pics! Only 1 week how exciting :)

Dani511

Shiny_Rock
Yes, yes...I know I am few days late with this thread, but I live near NYC and wanted to help out a bit.
4.gif

Michael C. Fina is on 5th Ave. at the corner of 45th st., not right in the heart of the diamond district on 47th. I haven''t gone in there, but I do know that they carry a lot of brands --but I am pretty sure you will pay top dollar for them there.

It is exciting to walk down 47th, but the truth is, if you do not know someone there, you could get taken for a ride. Many of them are a bit pushy, some even stand outside the stores and try to get you to go in and look. It''s a great place to look and get ideas, but you may not be able to get deal there. The exception may be ERD, which I hear great things about around here.

I enjoy going there to look, but BF and I don''t have any connections there, so we have been looking else where. It is certainly fun to look around there, though. I would go back when the stores are open. If you see something you absolutely love there, you could use that as a comparison and shop around for better prices.
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I dont think there''s anything wrong with buying on 47th Street so long as you are completely confident in your knowledge of diamonds. If not, then it''s not the place to buy. Looking is free, as they say, so go for it!

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ladies!

I don''t plan on buying from the Diamond district, I am just looking for style reasons. I already went to Tiffany''s and I plan on going to Michael C Fina to look at Tacoris, and probably Excel, ID Jewelry and maybe ERD for Vatche settings.

Looking is fun as long as no one is pushy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results