shape
carat
color
clarity

For pet lovers (could save a pet)Warning: it may bring tears to your eyes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Author: Jim Willis, 2001

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you''d shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you''d relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would''ve defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf. Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You''ve made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son''s fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don''t let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I''m so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn''t be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

A Note from the Author: If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American & Canadian animal shelters.

Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a non-commercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

Please pass this on to everyone, not to hurt them or make them sad, but it could save maybe, even one, unwanted pet.

-Jim Willis

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This did bring tears to my eyes. I am a huge believer in adopting shelter dogs and showing them that not everyone will leave them. This is a painful reminder to me of just how invaluable animal life is to some people.
38.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
This always gets me whenever I read it! People should always keep in their minds that pets can live for a very long time and they will be your responsibility until they go to rainbow bridge...if you can''t deal with that, then don''t get a pet.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Baaawling.

Not just because it''s sad, but because it''s so true.

If I had the means to adopt and care for all dogs and cats that need a home, I would in a heartbeat. Sometimes I think (call me a loony) I have FAR more compassion for defenseless animals (esp. "pets") than people.

Animals are COMMITMENTS. Too few people realize this. They don''t deserve to be always-crated and ignored and neglected.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8.gif

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t read this one without crying. My sister and I adopted a dog from the pound who only had 3 hours left (we started the paperwork at 2, they said she was being put down at 5 pm if nobody else wanted her and that in the 2 weeks she had been there only us and 1 other person had asked to take her out). My brother in law was against it because "she was too old". Guess who is daddy''s girl and the best dog we''ve ever had?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm always in sobbing tears when I read this. I had rescued a Doberman from the Dobie Rescue of North TX - 2 of them actually, but the male was my roommate's. Heidi was a beautiful chopped and cropped 2 year old who had recently had puppies, and was found as a stray. She and I bonded immediately, and she was the most wonderful, loyal, sweet dog you could ever imagine. The male, Truman, was scheduled to be put to sleep just hours before the DRoNTX found him, and called us to come pick him up so we could foster him. I couldn't imagine who would ever abandon these amazing dogs, but I'm so happy I had the chance to have them both in my life before they both passed away.
7.gif

I'm really getting the pull to adopt another dog soon.
4.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A coworker and I were talking about this very thing yesterday. The humane society in our town posts pictures of animals looking for homes in the paper daily. I get so mad when I see things like "family moved, couldn''t take pet." Our animal shelter euthanized nearly 10,000 animals last year, and that absolutely breaks my heart! And that''s just one shelter in a small town.

My wonderful coworker rescued a mom dog and her 6 puppies from a really bad place on a 4 degree day in January. They were all sick, starving and dehydrated.
The puppies were about 3 weeks old. She took them to the vet, got them healthy, got the first 2 rounds of shots, and then found homes for all of them. (One of the puppies is my sweet doggie Lily in my avatar.) One person who took a puppy brought her back to my friend after 2 months and told her that he just didn''t want the dog anymore. I don''t understand how people can do that! I''m already so attached to my doggie that I would be devastated if something happened to her! We were really glad he brought the dog back to her and not the shelter. Some people make me so mad, but I tend to be more of an animal person than a people person.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This always makes me cry so hard
7.gif
It''s one of the reasons why we have never adopted a puppy. Cats are different - they require so much less as far as attention and play, and it''s a lot easier to leave them alone for awhile. I could never do that to a dog, I would feel SO terrible all the time if I didn''t have the time/energy they needed. In the future I would like a little lapdog, but I am going to make absolutely certain that we are TOTALLY ready for that puppy.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 12:41:06 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Baaawling.

Not just because it''s sad, but because it''s so true.

If I had the means to adopt and care for all dogs and cats that need a home, I would in a heartbeat. Sometimes I think (call me a loony) I have FAR more compassion for defenseless animals (esp. ''pets'') than people.

Animals are COMMITMENTS. Too few people realize this. They don''t deserve to be always-crated and ignored and neglected.
Huge ditto.

It boggles my mind that people can do this. Granted we have cats, not dogs, but we''ve accommodated our entire lives for them just like we would a child. How could I drop them off at a shelter?
33.gif
They''re my family!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Makes me bawl every time. Both of my kitties are rescues, and I''m a firm believer in only rescuing. It makes me so sad to think that my kitties had to go through that....(granted, Ezra was born in the shelter, so he never had a home before me, but Lola...it breaks my heart). I firmly believe that Lola saved me, and I can''t imagine not taking the time to find an apartment that would allow pets. They''re worth driving a little longer, and going out of my way. I made a commitment to these cats, and I take that very seriously. It really frustrates me when other people don''t take the responsibility seriously, too.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 12:41:06 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Baaawling.

Not just because it's sad, but because it's so true.

If I had the means to adopt and care for all dogs and cats that need a home, I would in a heartbeat. Sometimes I think (call me a loony) I have FAR more compassion for defenseless animals (esp. 'pets') than people.

Animals are COMMITMENTS. Too few people realize this. They don't deserve to be always-crated and ignored and neglected.
I feel the EXACT same way...I know there is child abuse/neglect, etc., but it's the animals that break my heart and really get to me. Maybe it's because I feel like they don't have a voice? And also, obviously human life is considered valuable, whereas many don't see value in an animal's life.

This definitely made me tear up. I don't have a dog, but have had many in my childhood, and know just how sweet and loving and NEEDFUL they are of their humans. My cats? They may not NEED me as much as I NEED them, but still, like someone else said, I could NEVER give them to a shelter.

HOWEVER, I do want to say it is FAR MORE humane to give a dog to a shelter than just leave him/her at the side of the road, in the woods, etc. I saw an animal rescue show on Animal Planet where a German Shepherd was left in an industrial area next to a freeway that could only be entered into by opening a gate (therefore, the dog didn't just 'run away' and end up there). And the poor guy was so starved he could hardly move when the rescuer came for him because ALL of his muscles had atrophied and he was LITERALLY skin and bones!! I'm happy to report he recovered and is living at the no-kill shelter that took him and nursed him back to health as their official 'mascot.' :) But, anyone who can do that is purely heartless (I would even go so far as to say evil*).

*I've heard that people (especially children/adolescents) who torture/harm animals are likely to end up becoming murderers!

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
This made me want to cry! We got a new puppy about a month ago, but i had prepared myself months in advance because we have a toddler. It hits home with me especially now because of how many pets get dumped when military families leave to go back to the states. The army is really trying to crack down on punishing soldiers who leave pets behind when they change duty stations. I mostly blame the spouses though. Soldiers work hard day in and day out and the spouse doesn''t necessarily need to work, so they get a companion...then they don''t budget for the transportation of the pet and either get left on the streets or taken to a local shelter...it both breaks and enrages my heart. We are overseas right now, and everyday i see more posters on the community board for puppies who were only owned for a few weeks needing a new home.
7.gif
its so sad.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh god, this made me so teary!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely makes me cry too. I''ve seen that happen to so many dogs and it just makes me so sad and angry.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
This really upsets me. Animals are more important than people realize. They are morally perfect. They wont lie to you or stab you in the back. They are always there for you. Who else do you know that will wait 8 hrs a day for you to get home and be happy to see you? I too have more compassion for animals than humans. They can''t tell you when someting hurts or they are depressed or they need extra love. I can''t talk about this anymore...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
oh man.. I''m crying, this is so sad!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results