shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lazybum9

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I''m new to this forum and hope to buy a good diamond for my proposal ring. I''m still trying to understand how fluorescence affects my diamond. I would want to get a round H&A, D-F, VS1 & set it in a 5 claws setting. Pls advise if a faint fluorescence will affect the brillance of the diamond.

Thanks.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
faint will have no effect. No need for concern.
medium fluor may create a violet glow in natural light, which some people find pleasant. It also *may* improve tha colour grade in lower colours such as I/J/K.
Very strong or "overblue" could have a negative effect but this is very rare.
Some people seek out med blue as they prefer it and think its a cool effect to possess.

nb. pls note this applies to blue fluor only.
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the above :)

I actually purposely seeked out medium flouro for my diamond to be because in the sun it will give a subtle violet glow :) and under a black light they glow blue :D hehehehe I like it but thats a personal thing :D.

Finally the thing that will most affect the diamonds brilliance is cut :D feel free to post some contenders when your ready :).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One minor disagreement.

Very Strong Blue is often an incredible gift to the diamond. I showed a 2.28 E with strong blue yesterday. In the sunlight it exhibited a powder blue color that was beautiful beyond belief. This diamond was what the original "blue white" color was all about before it came to be so abused that the FTC declared in 1938 that it was no longer a usable term in the industry.

The crispness of the diamond coupled with the powder blue color literally left my client weak kneed.

Only in the less than 1% of diamonds that are overblues that become hazy and roilly out of doors do I consider fluorescence anything but a gift of additional beauty.

Wink

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/17/2008 4:25:49 PM
Author: Wink
One minor disagreement.

Very Strong Blue is often an incredible gift to the diamond. I showed a 2.28 E with strong blue yesterday. In the sunlight it exhibited a powder blue color that was beautiful beyond belief. This diamond was what the original ''blue white'' color was all about before it came to be so abused that the FTC declared in 1938 that it was no longer a usable term in the industry.

The crispness of the diamond coupled with the powder blue color literally left my client weak kneed.

Only in the less than 1% of diamonds that are overblues that become hazy and roilly out of doors do I consider fluorescence anything but a gift of additional beauty.

Wink
Oh Wink this sounds very beautiful !! Could you post pictures ?

Would a Medium to Strong Blue also increase visibly a diamond''s beauty under sunlight ?

lablover

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/17/2008 5:31:38 PM
Author: ayala_jessica

One minor disagreement.

Very Strong Blue is often an incredible gift to the diamond. I showed a 2.28 E with strong blue yesterday. In the sunlight it exhibited a powder blue color that was beautiful beyond belief. This diamond was what the original ''blue white'' color was all about before it came to be so abused that the FTC declared in 1938 that it was no longer a usable term in the industry.

Wink

Would a Medium to Strong Blue also increase visibly a diamond''s beauty under sunlight ?
Here is the link showing my new cushion (E color) with strong blue fluoro....it looks awesome in the sun!!!! Gives off a cool clear lavender/blue hue. Crisp white in other lighting!!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-as-promised-of-my-cushion.85467/ Hope this helps!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
One minor disagreement.

Very Strong Blue is often an incredible gift to the diamond. I showed a 2.28 E with strong blue yesterday. In the sunlight it exhibited a powder blue color that was beautiful beyond belief. This diamond was what the original 'blue white' color was all about before it came to be so abused that the FTC declared in 1938 that it was no longer a usable term in the industry.

Wink
thanks for clarifying Wink
2.gif

- I agree it sounds lovely. I am currently buying a medium and hoping it will exhibit some of these characteristics.

lazybum9

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the knowledge guys.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2008 11:15:52 PM
Author: lazybum9
Thanks for the knowledge guys.
no probs!
emthup.gif

are you going to buy the stone?
do you feel like sharing how you plan to set it?
5.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/17/2008 6:49:39 PM
Author: lablover

One minor disagreement.

Wink

Here is the link showing my new cushion (E color) with strong blue fluoro....it looks awesome in the sun!!!! Gives off a cool clear lavender/blue hue. Crisp white in other lighting!!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-as-promised-of-my-cushion.85467/ Hope this helps!!!
Waow lablover!!!!!!!!!!!! your set is magnificent and the lavender blue that shines off your stone is simply breathtaking
6.gif
Thanks for sharing !! I bought a RB G colour with medium blue according to the cert (in the DiamCalc it is indicated strong blue) fluorescence but I did not see it IRL yet...I hope it will show off this blue flashes in sunlight as well ! Impressive !

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should be a small effect, but a lovely one when it is noticeable. I personally love a liittle blue flour in a high colored diamond!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

One minor disagreement.

Very Strong Blue is often an incredible gift to the diamond. I showed a 2.28 E with strong blue yesterday. In the sunlight it exhibited a powder blue color that was beautiful beyond belief. This diamond was what the original 'blue white' color was all about before it came to be so abused that the FTC declared in 1938 that it was no longer a usable term in the industry.

Wink

Would a Medium to Strong Blue also increase visibly a diamond's beauty under sunlight ?

It can, each must be looked at to determine the visual effect. I believe that this is one of the reasons that so many look down on fluorescence, it requires that they actually take the diamond outside to see what it looks like in the sun.

Wink

P.S. What does it mean, "J'ai vu le soleil bas, tach� d'horreurs mystiques"

My rudimentary French tells me that it is something along the line of, "I saw the low sun ??? of mystical horrors" I think the word tach provides the meaning and it is not in my head where I can access it.

lazybum9

Rough_Rock
I''m still looking ard...will share with all once i''ve found it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results