shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kal-El in SLO

Rough_Rock
I read the section of the diamond tutorial about fluorescence. The tutorial mentioned that diamonds can fluoresce is colors other than blue; however, when looking at GIA reports, i only see descriptions like "Faint"...no color description.

How do I know what color a diamond fluoresces?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only at medium levels of fluorescence and beyond is a color designated, as it doesn''t have a visible effect when only "faint" or negligible.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 2:56:35 AM
Author: JulieN
Only at medium levels of fluorescence and beyond is a color designated, as it doesn''t have a visible effect when only ''faint'' or negligible.
Yes.

Kal-El in SLO

Rough_Rock
i see.

if i were to put a "Faint" diamond in a dark room and shine UV light on it, would it fluoresce at all? What method does GIA use for detecting fluorescence?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, a stone graded "Faint" by GIA will light up pretty well in a dark room.

Here''s a photo I took of a stone with Strong Blue fluorescence in a darkened room.
Faint would have a similar look, but not as bright.

r3138fla.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may help. These next two photos have diamonds that have varying degree of fluor - from faint to strong - and none at all!:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kal-El in SLO

Rough_Rock
okay. so when the above posters said that there is no visible effect, they meant in "normal" lighting conditions.

thanks for the help

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 4:49:01 PM
Author: Kal-El in SLO
okay. so when the above posters said that there is no visible effect, they meant in ''normal'' lighting conditions.

thanks for the help
And probably not in sunlight either, which is where some of the appeal of flor comes from.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 1:43:58 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
What color are the diamonds in the bottom ring? They''re pretty cool. I''ve only got one little diamond that fluoresces yellow, and all the others are blue.

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 1:43:25 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
This may help. These next two photos have diamonds that have varying degree of fluor - from faint to strong - and none at all!:
WOW THAT IS SOOOOO COOL
10.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I LOVE FLUORESCENCE IN DIAMOND
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results