shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence Question

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but does Tourmaline ever show Fluorescence and if so what color/s?

I am thinking I received a 'mystery' stone this week.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think tourmaline fluoresces, any of it. I own several tourmalines, and none of them fluoresce under my led UV light.

ETA: I take that back. Wikipedia states the following, but I don't know if it's accurate.

red to violet in long and short wave based on the GIA.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-Thanks, when searching-I found no info on tourmaline having fluor, but figured I would ask the masses. Good thing I didn't pay very much for my 'mystery' stone! It is lovely regardless :) Just read your Edit-I will take a peak at wiki-like you stated, who knows if info from them is accurate.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
The best photo I could get right now, The fluor is quit strong.

tourmaline fluorescence.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one that fluors (although I was told on here - not by TL btw!!!) that it was impossible for them to do so
38.gif
However, mine has very weak fluor. Your stone looks like it has moderately good fluor. Can you post a natural light picture so we can see it naked (so to speak!). It might help to narrow it down and make suggestions as to what the mystery stone may be!

Edit: I've just realised - is this the stone in your new ring (the one you weren't sure if the stone/setting went together). Was it sold as a Tourmaline?

Edit again!: Is this the peach/pink tourmaline?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 9:16:39 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I have one that fluors (although I was told on here - not by TL btw!!!) that it was impossible for them to do so
38.gif
However, mine has very weak fluor. Your stone looks like it has moderately good fluor. Can you post a natural light picture so we can see it naked (so to speak!). It might help to narrow it down and make suggestions as to what the mystery stone may be!

Edit: I've just realised - is this the stone in your new ring (the one you weren't sure if the stone/setting went together). Was it sold as a Tourmaline?

Edit again!: Is this the peach/pink tourmaline?
LD-Yes, this is the stone that was sold to me as a peach/pink tourmaline. It actually has strong hot pink/red fluor-now I am assuming it is a synthetic stone-who knows. I am in the process of contacting the seller, which is a very large estate dealer, to see what testing was done on the stone on their end to determine it was a tourmaline to begin with. Either way it is really lovely and has multiple personalities :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, even if it''s synthetic, it''s very pretty (with a lovely colour play) and the setting was lovely also - so you could always re-use that with another stone.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 11:59:43 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Well, even if it''s synthetic, it''s very pretty (with a lovely colour play) and the setting was lovely also - so you could always re-use that with another stone.
Actually, the setting is even more lovely than I expected it to be. It definitely needs some work, but am thinking my lovely round iolite from Barry would be perfect in it. For an iolite it is a fabulous color. I still need to find out more info on my ''mystery'' stone-any suggestions where to start and not spend alot of $ on it?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Heard back from the seller and was told the stone was fully tested and supposedly came back as tourmaline??? Who knows!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you know you''re taking it out of the setting then that would be the perfect time to do an RI on it. That would at least tell you if it''s in the Tourmaline range. If it''s not, well that''s the answer on that one. If it is, that''s not definitive but you''re a step closer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results